Re: [usage-centered] A Web-Based Application Software - What info should go to the hom e page?

  • Jeff Patton
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 11, 2000
      Hi Cindy,

      within the industry I come from there's a lot of
      emphasis these days on a "manager's workbench" sort of
      approach to the application main page. What is
      generally meant by that is that the software gives a
      an overarching status on tasks to do, data in the
      system, summaries of historical data etc..

      Basically if the browser based software provides
      access to UI to accommodate several tasks, I'd like to
      see clear access to all those tasks. If possible I'd
      like to see some notion of how many instances of those
      tasks I need to complete today. And finally, for goal
      setting purposes how much work I've done in the past,
      how much is pending, and how much I'd hope to get done
      in the future.

      A specific example might be a application for
      purchasing agents. UI might give access to activities
      like creating purchase orders, approving purchase
      orders, monitoring existing orders, maintaining
      vendors etc.. Links may be present indicating that
      there are X products that need to be placed on order,
      X outstanding purchase orders, X overdue orders.
      Links go to specific products or orders. Statistics
      may be present such as year to date X orders have been
      placed for an $X dollar value, X orders are in cue,
      and based on current demand X orders for $X should be
      placed by end of period.

      In short strokes, use the main page to summarize what
      I can do, specifically what I need to do, and
      statistically how well I have done and how much I need
      to do in the future.

      That's one approach. There are as many right answers
      as their are people of course.

      Thanks,

      -Jeff

      --- "Lu, Hongzheng (Cindy)" <CindyLu@...>
      wrote:
      > Hi!
      >
      > In many Window-based application software, after the
      > user loges in, a blank
      > page is presented for the user to start. In some
      > software (client-server
      > based), the first page is filled with data passed
      > from server, so that the
      > user can start working from there.
      >
      > In most web sites, the home page tells the user what
      > the web site is and
      > where the user can go. It also lists news and other
      > info.
      >
      > What info should go to the Home Page of a web-based
      > application software?
      > The purpose of the software is not to provide
      > information to the user
      > instead to enable the user to perform some specific
      > tasks. One way to do
      > this is to provide the entry points to the tasks on
      > the home page. Another
      > way is to put the entry points at the navigation
      > side (left or top), and
      > present hot information in the center of the page.
      > The third way is to put
      > the entry points at the navigation side, and open
      > one entry point as
      > default.
      >
      > Do you know whether there are any studies conducted
      > on this? Do you have
      > any opinions?
      >
      > Thanks!
      >
      > - Cindy
      >

      > ==========
      > Hongzheng "Cindy" Lu, Ph.D., CPE
      > Lucent Technologies, Inc.
      > Tel: 732-949-3395
      > E-mail: cindylu@...
      http://mail.yahoo.com/
    • Lu, Hongzheng (Cindy)
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 11, 2000
        Jeff,

        Thanks for your reponse. I like the approach of showing what the user can
        do and need to do + statistics info.

        I just saw one application listing the main task categories and a big pretty
        picture to identify the package. The home page here serves as a marketing
        tool and an entry point to the tasks.

        - Cindy