Re: RE: [usage-centered] Multi-user use cases?

  • ERiba@lotus.com
    Message 1 of 3 , May 11, 2000
      <lConstantine@c...> wrote:
      > There is more than one way that you can find yourself in this sort
      of
      > apparent dilemma, and it is unclear from your question with which
      sort of
      > problem you are struggling. Most commonly this sort of confusion
      arises
      > because the designer is trying to model the workflow or a business
      process
      > rather than the interactive needs of some users in particular roles.

      Sorry for the vagueness. This is involving two (or more)
      simultaneous users on different machines. Related to instant
      messaging. The user may initiate an action which will affect the
      other user(s) or (more importantly as far as I understand use cases)
      the other user(s) could initiate the action which will affect what
      this user sees and has to respond to.

      As I understand it, both users are in essentially the same role. It
      may just be different use cases depending whether the role initiates
      the action or whether it's initiated by someone else.

      > Aside from these more common confusions of workflow with
      interaction
      design,
      > yet another possibility is an attempt to cover more than one
      essential use
      > case in a single description. In these cases, decomposing
      inclusions
      or
      > extensions is usually the cleanest solution.

      > The relationships among scenarios, tasks, use cases, and essential
      use cases
      > is discussed in some detail in a new paper
      > <http://foruse.com/Files/Papers/Structure&Style.PDF>.

      I've printed out most of your PDFs and Application Notes. I'm still
      a little shaky on the different relationships between use cases (when
      to use extensions vs. specializations vs. composition vs. affinities)
      but now that I think I've got my roles straightened out, I'm going to
      push my way through use cases next.