Integrating Quality Control Measures

  • Tom Nunes
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 27, 2000
      I have an interesting design challenge and I wonder if others in the
      group have addressed it. During our analysis and requirements
      sessions, the issue of quality control has come up several times.
      Namely, ensuring the accuracy of key information entered such as a
      person's profile and address, dollar amounts and so forth.
      Currently, the customer has a quality control team that reviews data
      entry. They would like the new system to have quality control more
      integrated and at the point of entry.

      The one suggestion that keeps coming up is double-keying the key
      information. Naturally, the idea of dual-entry, even for the purpose
      of quality control, goes against the grain of a good designer.

      So, does anyone have any other creative ideas for addressing this
      design issue?

      Secondly, if re-keying is used, my instinct tells me that double-
      keying a field in succession may be less effective than keying the
      information in different parts of the flow. For example, if an entry
      form had a field for a check amount, with the repeated check amount
      immediatley following, it seems likely that the user would glance at
      the check once and type the same (incorrect) amount in both fields.
      However, if the re-keying were to happen later in the flow, the user
      would look at the check a second time and be less likely to enter the
      same incorrect number twice. Does anyone have any empirical evidence
      to back-up my instinct, or is my instinct incorrect?

      Thanks for your help.

      Tom Nunes