[usage-centered] Re: Documenting Business Requirements thru

  • kiril.okun@capitalone.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 1999
      We had to struggle with the same problem.

      The way we solved it was somewhat outside of essential models. The development
      team has repeatedly met with the business analysts representing the customer,
      and systematically reviewed each requirement from their list. Each requirement
      was clarified and expanded to make sure that everybody agreed on its meaning.
      Follow up questions were assigned and researched. We recorded clarifications
      for each requirement in a document, which had become our tracibility tool.

      After we completed use cases and validated them with the user representatives,
      we mapped them to the related requirements. These mappings were used in the
      construction of the content model. Looking at a use case and all related
      requirements helped us to identify almost all necessary materials and tools for
      each interaction context. In some cases the individual data elements were
      unknown, so we identified meaningful aggregations with the caveat that we will
      break them down in the design phase. After creating all necessary contexts we
      mapped them onto the requirements/use cases matrix to maintain tracibility.

      When presenting to our users I showed the navigation map and explained the
      overall organization of the interface and logic behind the key decisions. Then
      I went through the map explaining the interaction and showing content schematics
      of individual interaction spaces.

      They seemed to be satisfied that each of their requirements was mapped onto one
      or many use cases and was partially visible in the content model.

      Another assumption that we agreed on was that we will minimize the amount of
      pure business logic in the interface, which moved some of the business
      requirements into process and rule design.

      Hope this helps.

      Kiril Okun
      Capital One
      804-762-7642

      Subject: [usage-centered] Documenting Business Requirements thru UCD
      Author: tnunes@... at Internet
      Date: 11/23/99 7:05 PM

      Hello everyone. I am a new member to this group. I look forward to
      sharing some great ideas with you all.

      My question is: Through Use Cases or any other UCD models, how do you
      capture the detailed business requirements? I have just completed the
      first draft of essential use cases (as defined by Constantine &
      Lockwood, whose site directed me to this group) and am preparing to
      review them with the business users. I am anticipating comments like,
      "Yes, that is how the system would be used, but I can't tell from these
      use cases if you've understood all the requirements." I am speaking of
      requirements such as: If option A is chosen, then information XYZ is
      required. How are the business rules and edits captured? Do they
      belong in the use case, or should they be written in a supporting
      document? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

      -- http://www.egroups.com/VoiceChatPage?listName=usage-centered&m=1
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 1999
        Your coupling of requirements with use cases and content models, then
        feeding them back to the users, is very sophisticated. Driving the content
        model from use cases bundled with the related requirements is recommended
        practice that should have been in our book.

        I will also underscore the value of using the navigation map for feedback
        and validation with users. On a recent crunch-mode Web-application project,
        we discovered the same ploy, which proved extremely valuable considering
        that we had to shortcut the content model and go right to visual and
        interaction design.

        --Larry Constantine <www.foruse.com>