[usage-centered] Re: Usage-centered vs. (formal)

  • Nuno Nunes
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 4, 1998
      Hi there, I'm in this list due to a tip from Dave Roberts. We co-organized
      the WISDOM'99 workshop at Interact'99 (http://math.uma.pt/wisdom99).

      >> - What is the difference between a scenario and a use case diagram?
      The major point here is how do you detail the use cases and what goals do
      you try to meet in that process. In our approach (WISDOM method) we use
      activity diagrams to detail use cases. Activity diagrams are a very good
      tool to show task flows and create dependencies towards views in the
      interactive system. For more on our approach see the related paper in the
      WISDOM'99 site. There are also other approaches in the selected papers of
      our workshop. Check also another workshop at Interact'99 on Use cases and
      HCI.

      >> - How does UML help in user/usage centered design?
      >I don't think UML itself is the key. I think the team agreeing on a
      >common language is what matters. I have seen so many projects where
      >the different disciplines on a team did not communicate.

      I totally agree with Dave, UML is not the issue. I would add some other
      benefits of using UML. It's a standard, you have broad (although not that
      good) CASE tool support, it gathers a lot of very good ideas from 2nd
      generation A&D methods in the OO field and there is a lot of promissing work
      over UML.

      >> Another point is the issue of tools to support user centered design.
      >I have always been entirely pragmatic on this. I find a tool that does
      >most of what I need and adapt the method to fit within the tool. It
      >doesn't always give exactly what you want. However, as CASE tools are
      >very often tuned (at least partly) to team working and communication
      >then they form a good backbone.

      Again I totally agree with Dave. We can argue about proper tool support but
      we can't have it untill we try to tailor our methods and process to the
      existing tools and push vendor to improve. On this pragmatic approach see
      Shijian Lu's approach on a Rose extension that translates Diane+ to UML and
      vice versa. All of them are mentioned at the WISDOM'99 position papers.

      Nuno