[usage-centered] Re: Rapid Prototyping

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 1999
      Chris,

      >I'm beginning to suspect that a boiled-down version of usage-centered
      >design is what I'm after, but I'd like to hear your thoughts. I'm open to
      >the possibility that I'm way of track, so feel free to trample my
      >non-existant ego in this field. :-)

      And now I have a clearer idea of where you are coming from. I hope you
      understand that I was not questioning your methods or contribution to the
      company, more just raising the question of alternative ways to use
      resources. Obviously, from what you described, the "speculative
      prototyping" approach is working for you.

      >In any case, my concern with usage-centered design is in learning how it
      >may or may not help make our prototypes easier to develop, easier to
      >understand (more effective), or both.

      Given how you framed the problem, I think you are absolutely right about a
      streamlined process. We consider the essential use case model (essential
      narratives plus use case map) the last stand fall-back position in
      extremely time-pressured or information-poor contexts. In your position, I
      would experiment with a use case brainstorming, then narrative writing step
      in your process. My focus on the fantasized user roles in the previous
      message has to do with our experience in trying to do use case modeling in
      the absence oif a good user role model. It is darned hard and takes a lot
      of practice to do reasonably well. We only skip the user role model when
      there is a gun to our heads. But, give it a try and maybe share your
      experiences with the rest of us.

      --Larry Constantine
      Constantine & Lockwood, Ltd.