Spam

  • Paul Hodgetts
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 5, 2003
      This group doesn't seem to be very active, so perhaps nobody
      cares anymore, but it's sad that my spam filter now regularly
      sends all the usage-centered digests to my junk mail box.
      There are still 145 people subscribed the group, though, so
      maybe some may still want to use the list.

      As a suggestion to the moderators, there are a few simple
      config settings that can be made to eliminate 99% of the spam.
      If you change the group settings so that only group members
      can post, and so that new members start out as moderated, it's
      very effective. After a new member posts one legit message,
      they get switched to unmoderated. This means the moderator
      has to approve one message for a new member, but with the low
      traffic on this list, that shouldn't be much of a burden.
      The spammers get banned. Most spammers, once they see the
      group has been locked down, avoid the list altogether and the
      amount of spam posts from new subscribers drops dramatically.

      I've done this with another low-traffic list that I moderate,
      so if anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to share what
      we did.

      Regards,
      Paul