Re: [usage-centered] Patterns (was UCD vs. XP)

  • Nuno J. Nunes
    Message 1 of 44 , Apr 29, 2001
      on 4/26/01 08:40, Hallvard Trtteberg at hal@... wrote:

      Hallvard,

      > My impression is that many pattern enthusiasts are so in love with the
      > Alexandrian patterns, that they don't reconsider the form and content. E.g.
      > using models is bad, since they want the end-users to take part in pattern
      > reading and application. I disagree, and focus more on patterns as an
      > engineering tool.

      I completely agree.

      > Here are two examples of one-page patterns using model fragments for
      > describing the problem and solution:
      > http://www.idi.ntnu.no/~hal/publications/design-patterns/bookmark.pdf
      > http://www.idi.ntnu.no/~hal/publications/design-patterns/navigating-containe
      > rs.pdf

      Interesting approach, can you tell more about the notation you've used? It
      sound familiar to me but I'm not sure where I've seen that kind of
      diagramming for UIs!

      >> Please send me your examples. Some people might think this discussion is
      >> getting too technical for the list, perhaps we should go private!
      >
      > This may be a good idea. There's also a patterns mailing list which we could
      > use. An advantage of these discussion groups is the archive and search, so
      > we may want to add a group in the future.

      Judging from the replies it seams this is a good topic to discuss here. I'm
      not sure if UI patterns should be discussed in the pattern community! My
      view is design patterns belong to the design community, UI patterns to the
      UI community and analysis patterns to the analysis community.

      Nuno

      University of Madeira - Teaching Assistant
      Mathematics Dep. - Computer Science Unit
      phone: +351 291 705160 (direct) 705150 (secretary)
      fax: +351 291 705199
      Address: Campus Universitário da Penteada
      9000 - Funchal - Portugal
    • Nuno J. Nunes
      Message 44 of 44 , Apr 30, 2001
        on 30/04/01 08:40, Hallvard Trtteberg at hal@... wrote:

        Hallvard,

        > The abstraction is close to the "York/Piza" interactors, which in short
        > introduces a basic UI building block called "interactor" which mediates
        > information in two directions, user to system and system to user, through
        > four "gates". In my notation, the interactor is a rectangular box with
        > title, triangular gates and a resource interface. I've introduced functions
        > and merged these with gates, to provide domain specific computations.
        > Interactors are put together a bit like lego-bricks, by connecting the gates
        > and can be nested into a hierarchical graph, similar to a process network. I
        > formalise part of this using Statecharts, while the process algebra LOTOS
        > has been used by others. If anyone is particularly interested, I can send
        > him/her parts of my thesis, where this is discussed in relation to concrete
        > interface elements.

        I'm familiar with Paternò's interactors. That approach is very close to the
        model-based tradition, which was popular years ago but failed to gain
        widespread support mainly because model-based environments (including
        back-to-back automatic generation) never proved to be effective in practice.

        I'm not saying this approach is wrong or flawed, it surely is sound from a
        theoretical perspective. The main problem is that "pure" model-based
        approaches (in the sense that they attempt to fully automate the UID
        process) have not proved to be flexible enough for modern UIs. There are
        other successful examples of automatic generation techniques, mainly the web
        - where UIs described in markup are rendered in different platforms.
        However, those successful examples are very limited in terms of the extent
        to which they support the UID process.

        Times are changing though. Today we're moving away from the stable desktop
        paradigm and there is an increasing number of target platforms that differ
        substantially in terms of the devices we use to interact, and the related
        interaction styles and techniques.

        My point is that model-based techniques will inevitably come into play
        again. It will be very difficult to deploy software systems over a series of
        different platforms (just think of desktop, web, palm, cellular phone, and
        interactive TV) without effective model-based techniques. It's not a matter
        of whether we like them or not... We just can't cope with the increasing
        complexity without model-based approaches.

        > I want this to be a practical tool and have experimented with a runtime
        > system for this. I'm also working on a mapping to UML through stereotypes,
        > which I guess you're particularly interested in.

        Sounds interesting... Can you send more info on that UML adaptation? Is the
        runtime environment available?

        > I like to call the UID patters, i.e. both user interface and design. If we
        > omit "design" these may wrongly regarded as software patterns.

        I prefer a different distinction:
        Software patterns - all patterns that have to do with software
        Design patterns - patterns that have to do with OO design
        Analysis patterns - same for OO analysis
        UI patterns - patterns that have to do with UIs - interaction patterns,
        UID patterns, etc. are different classes of UI patterns.