151RE: [usage-centered] usage-centered design of batch processes?

    May 8, 2002
      Stanley,

      Yes, this is a bit of a slow response, but between the relaunch of
      forUse.com (http://foruse.com/) and putting together the program for the
      upcoming forUSE 2002 conference (http://foruse.com/2002/), things have been
      crazy.

      I once had a guy come up to me after one of my classes in usage-centered
      design for embedded systems applications. He asked how the techniques
      applied to the world of UPS design in which he worked. I asked him about the
      UI of his last project and he said, "Well, there was a power switch an LED,
      and an audio alarm. The truth is, some applications--such as your batch
      processes--have inherently minimal user interfaces. For these,
      usage-centered design itself won't buy you much. That is not to say that
      usability issues shouldn't be considered in the design of log-on procedures
      or error messages, but the ROI of doing a full-blown user role and task
      modeling is likely to be limited.

      However, there are those who are convinced that abstract (essential) use
      cases are still valuable for driving the object design process. See the
      Noble et al. paper on this
      (http://foruse.com/articles/euc-responsibility.htm).

      Regards,

      --Larry Constantine
      Director of Research & Development | Constantine & Lockwood, Ltd.
      58 Kathleen Circle | Rowley, MA 01969
      t: +1 978 948 5012 | f: +1 978 948 5036 | www.foruse.com