Re: [usa-tesla] New Agers

  • Michael Riversong
    Message 1 of 45 , Mar 4, 2002
      Actually, i did. Early in high school, i decided that i would
      systematically read all the world's scriptures and see what they had in
      common, if anything. Started with the Bhagavad-Gita and the Tao Te Ching.
      In college, did a minor in Religious Studies. This included courses in
      African Religions, Buddhism, Chinese Philosophy, and a special project on
      ancient European Paganism. The special project was of interest because at
      that time (1972) there was almost no material available on that subject. I
      ended up studying the exact same fragmentary source material that people
      like Yvonne and Gavin Frost used in their first books on Witchcraft. I
      managed to demonstrate how the migration of various linguistic and ethnic
      groups contributed to the patchwork of largely unorganized religions that
      Christianity replaced in Europe.

      At one point during college, i also studied under Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche.

      As you may have noticed, none of this amounted to anything. A persistent
      drug addiction kept me on the sidelines of life, and all this study did not
      make a dent in that. One of my biggest mistakes was assuming that i already
      knew what was in the Bible, something i see a lot of people doing these
      days. Just because it is in one's house doesn't mean that anyone knows what
      it really says. We all have to work that out for ourselves.

      My drug addiction only was cured by the collective prayers of a Mennonite
      congregation in southern Colorado in 1981. It took a long time after that
      before i could participate fully in life. After that, i strayed again into
      a New Age group which eventually led back to Paganism. It took more
      heartache and years to study hard, find out where i had gone wrong, and get
      straight. But yes, i have studied all those different ways that people have
      searched for God. One thing that stands out -- many groups, even within
      recognized, organized religions, gave up on finding God. Instead, they
      either focus on various intermediaries such as praying to various minor gods
      and saints, or they focus on disciplined self-improvement as Muslims,
      Tibetan Buddhists and some modern groups do.

      My own experience is that of a hard-won relationship with the only Savior
      this world has ever seen. All along, somewhere in the background, that
      Savior was present, just waiting for my asking. That's really the whole
      thing. If anyone wants more details, there is a long essay under the
      Biography section of my web site. I pray that this helps.

      At 11:12 AM 3/1/02 -0800, you wrote:
      >Steve,
      >
      > Indeed. The great quandary. "Mankind's Search For God".
      >
      > Even for self-professed atheists, who should still be
      > interested in human history, it would be a truly
      > fascinating topic which would take a while to pursue
      > thoroughly on their own. Anyone done that?
      >
      > .. Fred Bach music@... Opinions are only mine.
      >
      >Steve Wingate wrote:
      >>
      >> This assumes 'God' is who he says he is, and not an alien trying to
      >> manipulate humans. But I guess that opinion makes me a 'New Ager'.
      >>
      > [snip]

      -- Michael Riversong **
      Professional Harpist, Educator, and Writer **
      RivEdu@... ** Phone: (307)635-0900 FAX (413)691-0399
      http://home.earthlink.net/~mriversong
    • James Moore
      Message 45 of 45 , Mar 9, 2002
        For real pyramid power... check these controversial facts...

        http://www.humanunderground.com/11september/pent.html

        Very strange...

        JPM