Re: [usa-tesla] Farady disc

  • Bert Hickman
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 1, 2001
      All,

      By far the best book ever written (and perhaps the ONLY book written on the
      topic!) on Homopolar Generators is Thomas Valone's "Homopolar Handbook",
      Integrity Research Institute, 1994, 188pp. This excellent book can be
      obtained from Cold Fusion Technology, Inc. This is a soundly researched,
      solid scientific/engineering study. It dispels many of the various
      misconceptions and myths that seem to surround these devices. If you REALLY
      want to understand them, don't speculate... get the book.
      The book can be ordered (~$23) at:
      http://www.mv.com/ipusers/zeropoint/IEHTML/prodcat/index.html

      BTW, (Jim will appreciate this!), Paul LaViolette's book, "Subquantum
      Kinetics: The Alchemy of Creation" is also available at this site.

      Used/new discounted (~$16) copies of Valone's book are also available at
      Half.com:
      http://www.half.com/cat/buy/prod.cgi?cpid=1365052&aid=167876&pid=216178

      Best regards,

      -- Bert --
      --
      Bert Hickman
      Stoneridge Engineering

      Herzog wrote:

      > Quote:(Mystery: This machine has a disk which spins when electric current is
      > applied. BUT: no lines of force are cut.)
      > Jim Farrer
      >
      > I tried to point out that "lines of magnetic" force were cut, by the
      > supply wires to the rotating disc. Maybe most of us quit arguing because
      > we couldn't appreciate the conundrum.
      > Will

    • James Paul Moore
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 1, 2001
        At 08:39 AM 8/1/2001 -0500, you wrote:
        >All,
        >
        >By far the best book ever written (and perhaps the ONLY book written on the
        >topic!) on Homopolar Generators is Thomas Valone's "Homopolar Handbook",
        >Integrity Research Institute, 1994, 188pp. This excellent book can be
        >obtained from Cold Fusion Technology, Inc. This is a soundly researched,
        >solid scientific/engineering study. It dispels many of the various
        >misconceptions and myths that seem to surround these devices. If you REALLY
        >want to understand them, don't speculate... get the book.
        >The book can be ordered (~$23) at:
        ><http://www.mv.com/ipusers/zeropoint/IEHTML/prodcat/index.html>http://www.mv.com/ipusers/zeropoint/IEHTML/prodcat/index.html
        >
        >BTW, (Jim will appreciate this!), Paul LaViolette's book, "Subquantum
        >Kinetics: The Alchemy of Creation" is also available at this site.
        >
        >Used/new discounted (~$16) copies of Valone's book are also available at
        >Half.com:
        ><http://www.half.com/cat/buy/prod.cgi?cpid=1365052&aid=167876&pid=216178>http://www.half.com/cat/buy/prod.cgi?cpid=1365052&aid=167876&pid=216178
        >
        >Best regards,
        >
        >-- Bert --
        >--
        >Bert Hickman
        >Stoneridge Engineering
        >Email: bert.hickman@...
        >Web Site: <http://www.teslamania.com>http://www.teslamania.com

        Bert, I assume that you have the book, or have read it? If so, what
        was the general assumption as to the mechanism of the dynamo's
        action, in simple layman's terms. Could you please attempt a brief
        summary, for the sake of a few who won't have the book for a while?
        PLEASE... something brief... this may be my last day for list access
        for a month, and I would like to here something on this before I leave
        if possible. We are talking homopolar here right? Lines of force cut,
        in a conventional sense, or not...? Thanks for any response to this, Bert!

        JPM

        "Tesla has contributed more to electrical science
        than any man up to his time." -Lord Kelvin-
      • Bert Hickman
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 1, 2001
          James,

          Part of the difficulty in understanding the homopolar generator is that
          almost everyone tends to envision that we have "lines" of flux in a
          magnetic field (partly because that's the simplification that most of us
          were taught). From there, it's logical to assume that these lines of flux
          are somehow "pinned" to the magnet that creates them. One would then
          logically conclude that rotating the magnet versus a stationary disk, or
          rotating the disk relative to a stationary magnet, would have the same
          effect since there would be relative motion - and flux cutting - in either
          case. In reality only the moving disk generates electricity. Rotating a
          uniform magnet about its axis does not create any change in the associated
          B field - it's as though the field "lines" are not moving even though the
          magnet is rotating. If the disk is rotated relative to the fixed field, a
          voltage will be produced, and current can be extracted from the disk by
          stationary electrode. Some eminent EM theorists have stated that unipolar
          induction is, ultimately, a relativistic effect (Panofsky, Phillips,
          Becker, and Sommerfeld). And, there's really no simple explanation because
          it really ISN'T simple... :^)

          Until you get the book, some potentially helpful explanations can be found
          on the web. Some of the more "readable" ones include Bill Beaty's site and
          associated references:
          http://www.amasci.com/freenrg/n-mach.html
          http://www.tinaja.com/glib/muse117.pdf
          http://www.tinaja.com/glib/muse121.pdf

          Best regards,

          -- Bert --

          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 1, 2001
            Glad to hear from you, Will! A couple of days ago I saw an email that said you
            were dropping out of this list. That *GREATLY* saddened me because I have enjoyed
            all of your posts So Much. Please don't go.

            I wonder if you Personally understood my email on the Faraday disk, and my reason
            as to why it works with no lines of force being cut??? I'll send the post again.
            I'd like from EVERY PERSON a short reply as to whether it was clear - or confusing.
            Whether each of you is convinced - or whether I've got water on the brain.

            I think the idea is extremely simple, and shouldn't take 15 minutes to study.
            If over 15, I didn't make it clear enough.
            (Really, I'm more afraid of being accused of "talking down" to people).

            Jim Farrer

            Herzog wrote:

            > Quote:(Mystery: This machine has a disk which spins when electric current is
            > applied. BUT: no lines of force are cut.)
            > Jim Farrer
            >
            > I tried to point out that "lines of magnetic" force were cut, by the
            > supply wires to the rotating disc. Maybe most of us quit arguing because
            > we couldn't appreciate the conundrum.
            > Will
            >
            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            > [Lose 20 lbs by September 24th!]

          • James Paul Moore
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 1, 2001
              Vatican Theologian Reaffirms
              ETs Are Real - The Week's Sightings

              George A. Filer Majorstar@...
              Director Mutual UFO Network Eastern
              MUFON Skywatch Investigations
              Filer's Files #31
              8-1-1

              UFOs are reported in New York, New Jersey, New York,
              Delaware, Florida, Puerto Rico, Canada, Mexico,
              Nicaragua, and Germany.

              VATICAN THEOLOGIAN CLAIMS EXTRATERRESTRIAL CONTACT IS
              REAL ROME -- Monsignor Corrado Balducci, an insider
              close to the Pope has gone on national Italian television
              five times in recent months to proclaim: Extraterrestrial
              contact is a real phenomenon.

              The prelate announced that the Vatican is receiving much
              information about extraterrestrials and their contacts
              with humans from its Nuncios (embassies) in various countries,
              such as Mexico, Chile and Venezuela. Monsignor Balducci said
              that he is on a Vatican commission looking into extraterrestrial
              encounters, and how to cope with the emerging general
              realization of extraterrestrial contact.

              Balducci provided the Roman Catholic Church's analysis of
              extraterrestrials, emphasizing that these encounters "are
              NOT demonic, they are NOT due to psychological impairment,
              they are NOT a case of entity attachment, but these encounters
              deserve to be studied carefully."

              Since Monsignor Balducci is a Vatican expert exorcist, and
              since the Catholic Church has historically demonized many new
              phenomena that were poorly understood, his proclaiming the
              Vatican's non-censure of these encounters is all the more
              remarkable.

              Balducci revealed he is closely following this phenomenon.
              Thanks to World Gathering for Truth

              http://www.world-action.co.uk
              Thought that the above was interesting, and at the present there seems to
              be a rash
              or sighting world wide, even in the area of Germany where I am headed. Hope
              I get
              lucky enough to have a good sighting. One reason that I post this is...
              Tesla believed
              in extraterrestrial intelligences. So it is not totally alien
              to the subject of Tesla, and his works, and or beliefs.

              JPM

              "There exists a shadowy Government with its own Air Force, its own Navy,
              its own
              fundraising mechanism, and the ability to pursue its own ideas of
              national interest,
              free from all checks and balances, and free from the law itself."

              - Senator Daniel K. Inouye -
            • James Paul Moore
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 1, 2001
                At 12:34 PM 8/1/2001 -0500, you wrote:
                >James,
                >
                >Part of the difficulty in understanding the homopolar generator is that
                >almost everyone tends to envision that we have "lines" of flux in a
                >magnetic field (partly because that's the simplification that most of us
                >were taught). From there, it's logical to assume that these lines of flux
                >are somehow "pinned" to the magnet that creates them. One would then
                >logically conclude that rotating the magnet versus a stationary disk, or
                >rotating the disk relative to a stationary magnet, would have the same
                >effect since there would be relative motion - and flux cutting - in either
                >case. In reality only the moving disk generates electricity. Rotating a
                >uniform magnet about its axis does not create any change in the associated
                >B field - it's as though the field "lines" are not moving even though the
                >magnet is rotating. If the disk is rotated relative to the fixed field, a
                >voltage will be produced, and current can be extracted from the disk by
                >stationary electrode. Some eminent EM theorists have stated that unipolar
                >induction is, ultimately, a relativistic effect (Panofsky, Phillips,
                >Becker, and Sommerfeld). And, there's really no simple explanation because
                >it really ISN'T simple... :^)
                >
                >Until you get the book, some potentially helpful explanations can be found
                >on the web. Some of the more "readable" ones include Bill Beaty's site and
                >associated references:
                ><http://www.amasci.com/freenrg/n-mach.html>http://www.amasci.com/freenrg/n-mach.html
                >http://www.tinaja.com/glib/muse117.pdf
                ><http://www.tinaja.com/glib/muse121.pdf>http://www.tinaja.com/glib/muse121.pdf
                >
                >Best regards,
                >
                >-- Bert --
                >--
                >Bert Hickman
                >Stoneridge Engineering
                >Email: bert.hickman@...
                >Web Site: <http://www.teslamania.com>http://www.teslamania.com

                Ok Bert.... thanks a bunch. It is not simple... at least I have
                this much right, concerning these interesting and relatively
                unique machines. Basically, there may be no such thing as a
                naturally occurring rotating magnetic field? But thanks to Tesla
                we can simulate the phenomenon. Thanks again for the info related
                to the homopolar book, and the related links, Bert.

                JPM

                "I respect faith, but doubt is what gets you an education."
                --Wilson Mizner--
              • Fred Bach
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 1, 2001
                  Bert Hickman wrote:

                  > James,
                  >
                  > Part of the difficulty in understanding the homopolar generator is that
                  > almost everyone tends to envision that we have "lines" of flux in a
                  > magnetic field (partly because that's the simplification that most of us
                  > were taught). From there, it's logical to assume that these lines of flux
                  > are somehow "pinned" to the magnet that creates them. One would then
                  > logically conclude that rotating the magnet versus a stationary disk, or
                  > rotating the disk relative to a stationary magnet, would have the same
                  > effect since there would be relative motion - and flux cutting - in either
                  > case. In reality only the moving disk generates electricity. Rotating a
                  > uniform magnet about its axis does not create any change in the associated
                  > B field - it's as though the field "lines" are not moving even though the
                  > magnet is rotating. If the disk is rotated relative to the fixed field, a
                  > voltage will be produced, and current can be extracted from the disk by
                  > stationary electrode. Some eminent EM theorists have stated that unipolar
                  > induction is, ultimately, a relativistic effect (Panofsky, Phillips,
                  > Becker, and Sommerfeld). And, there's really no simple explanation because
                  > it really ISN'T simple... :^)

                  Yes, it certainly isn't simple, as this URL tells us:

                  http://newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/phy00/phy00322.htm

                  Here is someone who wrote a book about it and wants to sell us
                  all the book. He says it's
                  basically a relativistic effect:

                  http://users.erols.com/iri/homopolar.html

                  The BEST explanation I found so far, so simple to understand,
                  is at

                  http://www.physics.purdue.edu/~ggrant/Magnetic_Induction_and_Disk_Generators.htm

                  In essence, here is what it infers (by extension) about generators,
                  dealing with the charged particles that make up a conductor:

                  1. A charged particle moving in a UNIFORM magnetic field
                  feels a force (and so a voltage will be produced across
                  a conductor moving in a uniform magnetic field. Motion
                  conductor and resultant electric field are all at right
                  angles to each other. Magnetic field is through the
                  disk, perpendicular to the disk's surface; motion of the
                  disk is at right angles to the magnetic field, and the
                  voltage produced is from the inside of the disk to the
                  outer edge of the disk, again at right angles to both
                  the motion of the disk and to the magnetic field.

                  2. A moving magnet whose motion produces NO change in the
                  surrounding magnetic field direction or intensity will
                  NOT produce a force on a stationary charged particle.
                  Apparently it is NOT the same as the particle moving
                  in the stationary field. One can see the need for some
                  explanation in the relativity area right here!! Somehow
                  fundamentally one imagines that there should be no difference
                  between the disk moving and the magnet moving. But
                  apparently there is.

                  This situation would occur if you have a cylindrical magnet
                  with the north pole at one end of the cylinger and the south
                  pole at the other end and you rotated the magnet precisely
                  on the long axis of the cylinder (the axis that runs from
                  the northpole end to the southpole end). At any point about
                  the magnet, if you rotated the magnet precicely along its
                  face-to-face axis, then you would not be able to measure
                  a change in direction or intensity of the magnetic field
                  if you held a stationary probe up near the spinning
                  magnet. There is no **change** in the field. Conventional
                  alternators and generators rely on a **changing** field in
                  proximity to a coil to generate current in the coil. A DC
                  field won't do it - the field *has* to change in some way
                  in order to induce a voltage in the stationary coil. As
                  long as the intensity and direction of the field are not
                  changing, no voltage is induced in the stationary coil.
                  This is NOT true if the coil is moving in a steady field!!!!

                  The experiment described at the end of the above web page is,
                  I think, very explanatory of the effects of the various kinds
                  of magnet/disk generators. These field 'lines' are a mental
                  crutch that sometimes get in the way of clear thinking, I guess.

                  Incidentally, Hall Effect devices which measure magnetic fields
                  based on deflection of currents in a conductor (or semi-conductor)
                  could be used in a well-designed experiment to check these conclusions.

                  I feel sure that someone must be studying these effects in plasma
                  or conductive liquids too for propulsion studies, (I mean copper disk
                  liquid or plasma, what's the difference?), although I don't know
                  anyone personally who is doing it. I suppose I could do some
                  secondary research on that if I had the time. Help there would
                  be appreciated.

                  I hope Jim is happier now. This is NOT specifically my area of
                  expertise, although I suppose I may be as close to it as most on
                  this list.

                  Cheers,

                  .. Fred Bach music@... Opinions are only mine.
                • xyme3@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 1, 2001
                    Thanks Bert.
                    Paul
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 1, 2001
                      See ===>> JSF 8/1/01

                      James Paul Moore wrote:

                      > At 08:39 AM 8/1/2001 -0500, you wrote:
                      > >All,
                      > >
                      > >By far the best book ever written (and perhaps the ONLY book written on the
                      > >topic!) on Homopolar Generators is Thomas Valone's "Homopolar Handbook",
                      > >Integrity Research Institute, 1994, 188pp. This excellent book can be
                      > >obtained from Cold Fusion Technology, Inc. This is a soundly researched,
                      > >solid scientific/engineering study. It dispels many of the various
                      > >misconceptions and myths that seem to surround these devices. If you REALLY
                      > >want to understand them, don't speculate... get the book.
                      > >The book can be ordered (~$23) at:
                      > ><http://www.mv.com/ipusers/zeropoint/IEHTML/prodcat/index.html>http://www.mv.com/ipusers/zeropoint/IEHTML/prodcat/index.html
                      > >
                      > >BTW, (Jim will appreciate this!), Paul LaViolette's book, "Subquantum
                      > >Kinetics: The Alchemy of Creation" is also available at this site.
                      > >
                      > >Used/new discounted (~$16) copies of Valone's book are also available at
                      > >Half.com:
                      > ><http://www.half.com/cat/buy/prod.cgi?cpid=1365052&aid=167876&pid=216178>http://www.half.com/cat/buy/prod.cgi?cpid=1365052&aid=167876&pid=216178
                      > >
                      > >Best regards,
                      > >
                      > >-- Bert --
                      > >--
                      > >Bert Hickman
                      > >Stoneridge Engineering
                      > >Email: bert.hickman@...
                      > >Web Site: <http://www.teslamania.com>http://www.teslamania.com
                      >
                      > Bert, I assume that you have the book, or have read it? If so, what
                      > was the general assumption as to the mechanism of the dynamo's
                      > action, in simple layman's terms. Could you please attempt a brief
                      > summary, for the sake of a few who won't have the book for a while?
                      > PLEASE... something brief... this may be my last day for list access
                      > for a month, and I would like to here something on this before I leave
                      > if possible. We are talking homopolar here right? Lines of force cut,
                      > in a conventional sense, or not...? Thanks for any response to this, Bert!
                      >
                      > JPM
                      >
                      > "Tesla has contributed more to electrical science
                      > than any man up to his time." -Lord Kelvin-

                      ===>> JSF 8/1/01 Or (arguably - let's hear it- ) SINCE
                      Jim Farrer

                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 1, 2001
                        JPM wrote forwarded:

                        >Vatican Theologian Reaffirms
                        >ETs Are Real - The Week's Sightings

                        I need some cash fast to finish my time travel machine , who wants to by
                        that big tower thing I own in France , good tourist cash money return ,
                        well known global landmark , bargain price of US$100K , I have sorted out
                        the current snooty tennants , you will get no trouble from them.

                        James if my mind was _that_ open my brain would fall out , or , "I find
                        that very hard to believe"
                        Agent 86 <Don Adams> in Get Smart.

                        >George A. Filer Majorstar@...
                        >Director Mutual UFO Network Eastern
                        >MUFON Skywatch Investigations
                        >Filer's Files #31
                        >8-1-1
                        >

                        >UFOs are reported in New York, New Jersey, New York,
                        >Delaware, Florida, Puerto Rico, Canada, Mexico,
                        >Nicaragua, and Germany.
                        >
                        >VATICAN THEOLOGIAN CLAIMS EXTRATERRESTRIAL CONTACT IS
                        >REAL ROME -- Monsignor Corrado Balducci, an insider
                        >close to the Pope has gone on national Italian television
                        >five times in recent months to proclaim: Extraterrestrial
                        >contact is a real phenomenon.

                        Have you ever watched Italian TV ?
                        There's more T&A on show 24/7 than at Rio's yearly Mardi Gra's. The "wheel
                        of fortune" letter turning girl is in a skimpy bikini , other shows have
                        topless women wearing only skimpy G strings as their presenters.These guys
                        _really_know how to get those vital ratings numbers.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 2, 2001
                          Hey, J.B. -- -- --
                          I'm (ahem) a *little* short on cash right now, but your tower sounds just like what
                          I've been looking for. I *COULD* go $89.9 K, but it'd have to be class A shape -
                          now rust spots, no dents.
                          Jim

                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 14, 2001
                            See ===>> JSF 8/15/01

                            James Paul Moore wrote:

                            > Vatican Theologian Reaffirms
                            > ETs Are Real - The Week's Sightings
                            >
                            > George A. Filer Majorstar@...
                            > Director Mutual UFO Network Eastern
                            > MUFON Skywatch Investigations
                            > Filer's Files #31
                            > 8-1-1
                            >
                            > UFOs are reported in New York, New Jersey, New York,
                            > Delaware, Florida, Puerto Rico, Canada, Mexico,
                            > Nicaragua, and Germany.
                            >
                            > VATICAN THEOLOGIAN CLAIMS EXTRATERRESTRIAL CONTACT IS
                            > REAL ROME -- Monsignor Corrado Balducci, an insider
                            > close to the Pope has gone on national Italian television
                            > five times in recent months to proclaim: Extraterrestrial
                            > contact is a real phenomenon.
                            >
                            > The prelate announced that the Vatican is receiving much
                            > information about extraterrestrials and their contacts
                            > with humans from its Nuncios (embassies) in various countries,
                            > such as Mexico, Chile and Venezuela. Monsignor Balducci said
                            > that he is on a Vatican commission looking into extraterrestrial
                            > encounters, and how to cope with the emerging general
                            > realization of extraterrestrial contact.
                            >
                            > Balducci provided the Roman Catholic Church's analysis of
                            > extraterrestrials, emphasizing that these encounters "are
                            > NOT demonic, they are NOT due to psychological impairment,
                            > they are NOT a case of entity attachment, but these encounters
                            > deserve to be studied carefully."
                            >
                            > Since Monsignor Balducci is a Vatican expert exorcist, and
                            > since the Catholic Church has historically demonized many new
                            > phenomena that were poorly understood, his proclaiming the
                            > Vatican's non-censure of these encounters is all the more
                            > remarkable.
                            >
                            > Balducci revealed he is closely following this phenomenon.
                            > Thanks to World Gathering for Truth
                            >
                            > http://www.world-action.co.uk
                            > ********************************************************************************************
                            > Thought that the above was interesting, and at the present there seems to
                            > be a rash
                            > or sighting world wide, even in the area of Germany where I am headed. Hope
                            > I get
                            > lucky enough to have a good sighting. One reason that I post this is...
                            > Tesla believed
                            > in extraterrestrial intelligences. So it is not totally alien
                            > to the subject of Tesla, and his works, and or beliefs.
                            >
                            > JPM

                            ===>> JSF 8/15/01 I cannot believe that all these people, all over the world
                            have been lying or hallucinating all these years. The only question I have
                            is: WHAT?

                            > "There exists a shadowy Government with its own Air Force, its own Navy,
                            > its own
                            > fundraising mechanism, and the ability to pursue its own ideas of
                            > national interest,
                            > free from all checks and balances, and free from the law itself."
                            >
                            > - Senator Daniel K. Inouye -

                            ===>> JSF 8/15/01 I'm a genuine old fart, having moved to the Washington D.C.
                            area 3/15/1961. Soon thereafter, The Washington Pest -uhh- Post ran an article
                            on the proliferation of secret govamint agencies. Their count was, If memory
                            serves, some 17. The then new NRO satellite organization was thus outed.

                            I personally believe, and so stated for many moons, that these organizations
                            are a cancer on the body America. For example, the Foobie (FBI) was headed for
                            40 years by a man (Jedgar Hoover) who used the info his peole picked up to
                            blackmail the entire U.S. Congress for over 40 years. Years later, it is
                            rumored that a certain U.S. President got hold of 900 Foobie files (So rumored
                            by the Foobie agent stationed AT the former White House). We got along just
                            FINE for about 160 years without the Foobie, and the other organizations it spawned.

                            Jim Farrer