failures

  • herzog
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 7, 2000
      Any suplemental power must be self protecting to even be considered as a power source.
      For example bought a 300 watt unit that plugs in the cigar lighter, to take the car's 12 volt to 115 volts. It cost about $50. It is protected against overloads, such as a motor for my weed wacker, Against a shorted output, against over temperature, against an intermittent input, such as my dirty cigar lighter plug, as I rotate it to make a contact, as I start the car, against a load suddendly being switched off. All this (for that price!) to protect the transistors and other parts that do the job.
      The fuel cell (and maybe it's battery/filter) still have to be just as fool proof, and even more, if it is connecting to external power lines, etc.
      -- -- --
      Will Herzog; Rochester NY; K 2 L B