Re: [usa-tesla] Digest Number 397

  • Herzog
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 27, 2000
      > Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 13:16:09 -0500
      > From: James Paul Moore <jmoore@...>
      > Subject: Re: neon bulb flasher.
      > I wonder if a hand held neon bulb would flash with close to a
      > small Tesla coil, that is firing?
      Sure a neon bulb will light, but florescents are bigger and brighter,
      and more common.
      Yes, handheld will do it. but beware of "RF burns" They go deep and
      are slow to heal, and the depth is because you smell your skin cooking
      before you feel it.
      The small Tesla coils inside
      > the "Eye Of the Storm", type plasma globes... will flash common
      > florescent tubes when held close to them, or if the tube is held
      > in one hand, and the other hand is placed directly on the active
      > plasma sphere.
      > That is a LOT of energy transfer via body capacitor
      > to the gas inside the tube. Wonder how that energy affects the
      > membranes of the body? Or I suppose it may just travel over the
      > surface of the skin, since it must be high frequency radio waves?
      > Would neon behave the same way, as a common 4ft. florescent?
      > JPM

      repeated to try awsome? nifty.:
      > From: James Paul Moore <jmoore@...>
      > Subject: Nice Aurora Pics From Apirl 6, 2000
      > Check these ausome shots out.
      > http://www.spacescience.com/headlines/images/brushfire/arsenault2.gif
      > http://www.spacescience.com/headlines/images/brushfire/curtis0.jpg
      > http://www.spacescience.com/headlines/images/brushfire/curtis1.jpg
      > http://climate.gi.alaska.edu/Curtis/aurora/030600_2.jpg
      > http://climate.gi.alaska.edu/Curtis/aurora/030600_1.jpg
      > http://climate.gi.alaska.edu/Curtis/aurora/040100_1.jpg
      > http://climate.gi.alaska.edu/Curtis/aurora/040700_2.jpg
      > http://climate.gi.alaska.edu/Curtis/aurora/040600_5.jpg
      > Jim:
      > Glad it was of interest to you. Should mention that negative
      > resistance can take many forms, of which the tunnel diode and the neon
      > tube are representative and different.
      > Ed

      All arcs are too, and the flourescent's need a balast to limit that
      current due to their neg. res.

      > Gas-discharge devices such as T/R tubes used in radars all include a
      > radioactive "primer" so they will ignite consistently in the dark.
      > The light sensitivity effect is readily observable, particularly in a
      > bulb which has been run a lot and has significant bulb darkening. I
      > used to demonstrate this with an old Tektronix 535 scope, which had
      > horizontal sweep voltage (150 volts max???) brought out to a front
      > panel binding post. With a protective resistor between the sweep
      > voltage and a bult with one ended grounded the breakdown point was
      > observable simply by hooking one of the Y-axis channel inputs to the
      > "top" of the bulb. Even small amounts of light will affect the firing
      > (striking) voltage enough to change the position on the horizontal
      > where the bulb fires. By the way, when I was making measurements of a
      > neon-bulb relaxation oscillator before making that posting the other
      > day, I could see the influence of the light from the fluorescent
      > above my work bench; when the light was present the oscillation
      > frequency was higher and the blinking somewhat irregular due to the
      > accidental timing between the light and the time when the voltage rose
      > to the firing point. Easy experiment to run, even without a scope!
      > Ed

      Thanks for the data.