Tesla Motors

  • Andy Cleary
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 5, 1999
      I recently heard about a small motor, the size of a derby hat, that could
      provide 30 hp. Unfortunately the book did not elaborate on it, but I could
      really use a couple of those and was wondering if anyone had ever build one
      of them? I also read about some type of steam motor that could provide
      several thousand hp. Although I don't know if I currently have a use for
      one I would still be interested in knowing some details. Thanks,

      -Andy
    • Wallace Edward Brand
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 5, 1999
        I have heard of such motors operating with superconducting windings in a chilled
        environment. It was my understanding that the technology was classified. Wallace
        Edward Brand

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 5, 1999
          "I have heard of such motors operating with superconducting windings in
          a chilled
          environment. It was my understanding that the technology was
          classified. Wallace
          Edward Brand"

          Don't think there is anything classied there.

          Ed
        • Paul Eitson
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 5, 1999
            If you are talking about a Tesla turbine I am working on one now. I
            will post details as I go along. The 10 inch diameter turbine produces
            about 110 hp and is 4 inches wide. Several have been successfully
            constructed. TEBA (Tesla Engine Builders Association) can provide you
            with good diagrams and some technical assistance. I am attaching a
            diagram of some of the basic parts. I do not have a cad program so these
            drawings are only a representation.

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 5, 1999
              It was told to me by someone who formerly worked for the CIA. Wallace

              Ed Phillips wrote:

              > From: Ed Phillips <evp@...>
              >
              > "I have heard of such motors operating with superconducting windings in
              > a chilled
              > environment. It was my understanding that the technology was
              > classified. Wallace
              > Edward Brand"
              >
              > Don't think there is anything classied there.
              >
              > Ed

              > ONElist users: YOU can win a $100 gift certificate to Amazon.com.
              > Check out the FRIENDS & FAMILY program to find out how.

            • Larry J. Plato
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 6, 1999
                Hi Paul!

                My name is Larry Plato, and I work with "The Energy Eggheads", a
                group whose main goal is to collate energy information and research
                and get the technology tested and PUT INTO USE! I saw your post on
                USA-Tesla and wanted to know if you would be willing to talk to me
                about your plans to build a tesla turbine. Because of my work, I am
                out of the country and temporarily unable to work on my turbine.
                I copied your email below, and continued on to describe my plans
                for testing the Tesla Turbine. If you would care to comment, that
                would be nice. I look forward to hearing from you. FYI: I am
                familiar with the Tesla Turbine Engine Builders:

                http://www.execpc.com/~teba/index.html teba@...

                and intend to contact them as well.

                Larry Plato
                Executive Director, Energy Eggheads
                http://www.nnaf.net/~ljp/EnergyEggheads/index.html

                > Message: 6
                > Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 23:11:44 -0600
                > From: Paul Eitson <xyme2@...>
                > Subject: Re: Tesla Motors
                >
                > If you are talking about a Tesla turbine I am working on one now. I
                > will post details as I go along. The 10 inch diameter turbine produces
                > about 110 hp and is 4 inches wide. Several have been successfully
                > constructed. TEBA (Tesla Engine Builders Association) can provide you
                > with good diagrams and some technical assistance. I am attaching a
                > diagram of some of the basic parts. I do not have a cad program so these
                > drawings are only a representation.

                I have never built a tesla turbine, but I think I understand the
                theory pretty well. I have purchased copies of the three relevant
                patents on Tesla turbines. 1) The fluidic valve, 2) The turbine
                as an prime mover (engine), and the turbine as a means to recover
                energy from a viscous stream (steam, etc) I do not have the patent
                numbers in front of me. I can provide those for reference to
                anyone interested. This winter I hope to turn the patents into
                PDF files and post them online.

                I am planning on building a small "Tesla Fan" as my first test case.
                In an article I can no longer find :-( a reported describes what sounds like
                the blades of a tesla turbine mounted on a shaft and left un-enclosed
                in space. The resulting device would suck air into the central holes
                and expel it from the edges of the blades.

                For the benefit of those not familiar with the tesla turbine, it works
                on two modes, as a pump, and as an engine. Let's start with the tesla fan,
                basically a tesla turbine acting as a pump, for the purpose of pumping air.
                It consists of a motor, and on the shaft of the motor, are attached a number
                of thin disks.

                Each disk has a series of holes (usually three) punched in the
                center. The holes create the effect of "spokes" in the center.
                This way you can attach the blades to the central shaft (the motor shaft)
                and still have an opening in the center of the blades.

                As seen from the edge:

                ^
                | Wind

                [Motor] -+++++- <-- airflow

                5 blades

                The blades all have a hollow "hub and spoke" type center.
                As the blades spin, air is dragged along the blades by "adhesion"
                and since the blades spin in an arc, centripetal force cause the air
                to be thrown out of the blades. This creates a vacuum in the center
                of the plates. Since there are holes in the center of the disks,
                air from the front of the tesla turbine rushes into the center holes.

                This is the basic operating mode of a tesla turbine as a pump.

                You can improve the efficiency by pre-spinning the air before it hits
                the plates, this reduces the difference in speed between the incoming
                fluid (or air) and the blades. The easiest way to prespin the air
                is to put a housing around the turbine and creating a single exit point
                and a single inlet point for the air. On the single inlet point
                you put twists in the inlet tube, and the air rushing into the inlet
                is spun by the grooves in the inles tube, and this 'pre spin' matches the
                flow of the incoming air to the motion of the turbine blades.

                After I build this, I inted to make a system of washers to experiment with
                how to space the plates based on the type of fluid.

                It seems like a simple test, but an easy one. After that, I plan on moving
                to a full blow TT pump, and then I want to start doing comparisons between
                the TT's ability to move air (in cubic foot per minute divided by watts of
                power used) as compared to traditional fans.

                After that, it's on to engine building...

                Larry
              • my1squeakyshoe
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 2, 2007
                  Hello All.........

                  I just ran across this article and thought you might want to see it
                  too. Sorry I can not seem to turn it into a link for you. Just cut
                  and past it and it should work.

                  Patricia
                  McKinney, Texas

                  http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?
                  file=/c/a/2007/08/30/BUKERRNPR.DTL&type=business