Resonance

    Message 1 of 3 , May 30, 2012
      Hi Mike.
      Good to see that there is still some interest in this old site.
      Thought I would mention an old idea of mine. I noted that our plasma physics folk have never been very successful at holding a plasma when it gets hot enough to produce a significant fusion rate. Think of a large sphere of highly ionized plasma (hydrogen - deuterium - and perhaps some tritium, carbon, or lithium). Now recall the Tesla motor, and imagine a similar rotating field, produced by several tesla coils (just the primary. the secondary is the plasma, so instead of a step up transformer, this would be a step down transformer, and I have no real vision of how one would tune the primary for a one turn plasma secondary) phase shifted from each other. The plasma, acting like a rotor in the motor will be spun up to speed. And at 20-40 KHz the speed could be prodigious. While the plasma is accelerating it will experience a reaction from the drive field and, I think, be pushed away from the wall. But then it would reach stability and fall out against the wall again, cooling itself and damaging the wall. So what if we used quite a few more coils and produced a rotating field, then rotated that drive field. (Imagine the drive as a circle, now rotate the circle at perhaps 2-4 KHz, and of course do it electronically not physically). This should result in shearing of the fields, compression of the plasma, and a lot of heating. I suspect this would be ignited by a high voltage discharge in a thin gas, and once started up would use the motor reaction energy to ionize more added gas until a substantial pressure is achieved. It may require a pinch field to confine the top and bottom plasma, and this may have to rotate with the rotating field ring. The tesla resonant coils provide energy storage and allow us to build up a much larger field than could be achieved otherwise with a reduced loss in the electronics.
      Imagine this as a boiler, driving steam into a tesla turbine, and some brilliantly designed coupling to the drive electronics. When you reach useful energy breakeven, the turbine provides all the power to run the plasma tube, and you would have the first practical fusion generator. A fun project, if not ultimately a winner.

      I just thought of this as a way to get away from always making pretty, but mostly useless, sparks with the fascinating tesla resonant transformer.
    • Old Roman
      Message 2 of 3 , May 30, 2012
        Best news yet!  Thank you Michael for updating us on the Events.