Re: [usa-tesla] Inductor saturation

  • dave pierson
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2011
      > thank's for everyone's input and thoughts! From what I can tell off the
      > shelf inductors can pretty much be assumed if its rated at 2amps, then
      > it will saturate at 2amps, though this does not exactly relate to a DC
      > current which could be a fraction higher, but in general it seems to
      > hold true. Though when winding a aircore one which is what I class as
      > a "good inductor" , the amount of wire needed can in some cases
      > increase the wire resistance a fair bit, so all pro's and con's, just
      > always the way isn't it!.
      In a classical sense, and are core conductor can't saturate.
      saturation is a property of a ferromagnetic core material:
      after a certain point the lines of mag force get too
      many to 'fit' in the core, the core 'saturates'.

      Air 'core' does not have this property, tho it also needs
      physically larger for same inductance, and is more
      simple as to its frequency response.

      best
      dwp
    • Gerry
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1, 2011
        Hi Dave,
        After a permeable core reaches a certain level of flux density.... just
        below saturation.
        If you increase the current in the windings any more.. the core produces the
        opposite effect!
        ie Increase in flux causing reduction in permeability.

        This represents "negative permeability" something like negative resistance.

        Say if there's one winding driving another via this hypothetical core.

        If drive winding input is reduced output from secondary actually increases!!
        and vice versa.

        If a high Q drive winding is pulsed in the one direction and additional
        flux bias to core is supplied from an external magnet it may start to
        oscillate on it's own.

        Take a look at this video clip www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGOFNrlVm1Q called
        "ToNazar"

        See the effect.......not bad huh?