pcb copper track resistances

  • Chris Swinson
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 15, 2011

      Hi all,

      Something I have been pondering about, if say I have 2 copper ground tracks say 10mm long 1mm wide, if theres are connected in parallel the resistance would half, which is good, however, if I just had 1 single track 2mm wide same length, would this be the same resistance as 2 parallel tracks or the same ?

      Thanks,
      Chris

    • Gerry
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 15, 2011
        Hi Chris,
        Yes I believe you are right, every time you double the cross sectional area of the conductor you halve it’s resistance.

        Gerry

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 16, 2011
          > Something I have been pondering about, if say I have 2 copper ground
          > tracks say 10mm long 1mm wide, if theres are connected in parallel the
          > resistance would half, which is good, however, if I just had 1 single
          > track 2mm wide same length, would this be the same resistance as 2
          > parallel tracks or the same?

          Both cases should be the same.
          Twice the width, half the resistance.

          At least according to all i know.

          Resistance is set by material and cross section area.

          (DC: HIGH frequencies get complicated. 8)>>)

          best
          dwp
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 18, 2011
            DC resistance. Yes. AC impedance, there would be some difference. Generally, the current being spread out would reduce the impedance some.