RE: [usa-tesla] RE: John Searle

    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 18, 2010

      Dear Mike and Mad
      Good luck with that optimism. Fraid mine was used up in my mis-spent youth many decades ago.
      But very good point about reproducible experiment.
      Science over revelation, and way over "it's just common sense".
      Where here, I mean science as the hard path to truth you can use to design a bridge rather than the soft path to answers we can understand without having to change our deepest understanding of life the universe and everything.

      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 18, 2010
        Hi,
        Thanks all, for the sharp and insightful comments.
        Like everyone else,  I just so wish it were true. The Human civilization is now on the edge of running out of energy, food, and just about everything else. Every decade we add almost a Billion in Human population, and we are already using up nearly two Earths of resources.

        This cannot go on much longer. A new source of energy is now, quite literally, a matter of survival for Our race.

        So I am not criticising Searle for his ideas, but for his lack of proof, in any form. The Russian work, I have been uneasy about. I am very familiar with it.
        There is something there that is not right.
        Regards
        Mike Scott.

        To: usa-tesla@yahoogroups.com

> [...]

        > I'm inclined to agree. The rich are fond of complaining about the
        > trials and tribulations of possessing wealth, let them try the
        > trials and tribulations of being dirt poor for a while.
        >
        > More topically (and let's get rid of the obscenity in the subject
        > line):
        >
        > Has anyone here attempted to duplicate John Searl's work, to make a
        > thruster or whatever it is per his blueprints?
        >
        > Reese
        >

        > > --- In usa-tesla@yahoogroups.com, EVP<evp@...> wrote:
        > >>
        > >> Joe Blankenship, who inherited the techniques of making purple
        > >> plates in a direct line from Tesla, shared many points of wisdom,
        > >> including his insight, “Having gold is a plague in itself�. The
        > >> importance of magnetite and other minerals was given in detail.
        > >>
        > >> Where did Tesla write about this and what is the line of inheritance?

      • Bill
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 19, 2010
          If we stopped spending as much energy on decrying the shortage of it we could stop looking. The shortages of "energy, food, and just about everything else" are caused by an excess of political government, which wants fewer people to take a chance on taking over instead of letting them do so. Human beings have never failed to find solutions for their problems before they became fatal to the race, obviously.
          The governments of the world are trying to kill off all the people they can't prevent from growing their own food. Humans got along just fine at every level of development they passed in their history. Many would prefer to go back to simpler lives, but the government is in the way, because that would bring a diminution of their control and power.
          The sooner the better, as far as I'm concerned.

          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 19, 2010
            ERK!
            Well. From my moss covered rock, it looks like government is one of the key solutions to the question
            "When do we eat?"
            Doing it poorly, we get unmitigated disaster. Not doing it at all is the worst form of doing it poorly. Africa has some really good (bad?) examples of this. Not sure if there really is a solution, as such. We are herding cats here, and at the very best we are gonna get some scratches and loose a lot of the outliers.
            Regarding energy, we actually have more than enough, should we chose to avail. It just requires some work to have all that abundant low cost energy available without having to sacrifice so much to the gods of oil, and coal, and eventually nukes, and someday mayhap to the gods that own the desert lands where our solar panels will be laid out, or finally, the solar cluster/arrays in space that could pour out more energy even than our vast appetites could consume, ever. And the related question of just how much life style we really need. I may opt for a high rise a bike ride from the commuter train terminal, but I am not opting for cold showers every morning. And we do have to question just how much of the earth we want covered by our cities (or perhaps our one very very large city), even with vast set asides for parks and un-developed lands. And that is regardless the energy needs we set for ourselves as individuals.
            I wonder if the monkeys, rats, or whales will evolve the minds to solve this little problem? On the other hand, our mental evolution takes place much faster than that. So does our (mental) devolution. Wonder if we can "evolve" the solution? I fear we may "devolve" the (final!) solution if we are not careful and persistent enough.
          • Bill
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 19, 2010
              Mugabe is solving which problems?

              --- In usa-tesla@yahoogroups.com, "McGalliard, Frederick B" <frederick.b.mcgalliard@...> wrote:

              > ERK!
              > Well. From my moss covered rock, it looks like government is one of the key solutions to the question
              > "When do we eat?"
              > Doing it poorly, we get unmitigated disaster. Not doing it at all is the worst form of doing it poorly. Africa has some really good (bad?) examples of this. Not sure if there really is a solution, as such. We are herding cats here, and at the very best we are gonna get some scratches and loose a lot of the outliers.
              > Regarding energy, we actually have more than enough, should we chose to avail. It just requires some work to have all that abundant low cost energy available without having to sacrifice so much to the gods of oil, and coal, and eventually nukes, and someday mayhap to the gods that own the desert lands where our solar panels will be laid out, or finally, the solar cluster/arrays in space that could pour out more energy even than our vast appetites could consume, ever. And the related question of just how much life style we really need. I may opt for a high rise a bike ride from the commuter train terminal, but I am not opting for cold showers every morning. And we do have to question just how much of the earth we want covered by our cities (or perhaps our one very very large city), even with vast set asides for parks and un-developed lands. And that is regardless the energy needs we set for ourselves as individuals.
              > I wonder if the monkeys, rats, or whales will evolve the minds to solve this little problem? On the other hand, our mental evolution takes place much faster than that. So does our (mental) devolution. Wonder if we can "evolve" the solution? I fear we may "devolve" the (final!) solution if we are not careful and persistent enough.

            • Reese
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 19, 2010
                On 19 Aug 10 15:36 PM, Bill wrote:

                > If we stopped spending as much energy on decrying the shortage of it we could stop looking. The shortages of "energy, food, and just about everything else" are caused by an excess of political government, which wants fewer people to take a chance on taking over instead of letting them do so. Human beings have never failed to find solutions for their problems before they became fatal to the race, obviously.
                > The governments of the world are trying to kill off all the people they can't prevent from growing their own food. Humans got along just fine at every level of development they passed in their history. Many would prefer to go back to simpler lives, but the government is in the way, because that would bring a diminution of their control and power.
                > The sooner the better, as far as I'm concerned.

                Is this your idea of "on-topic" discussion?

                Reese
              • Bill
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 19, 2010
                  It is just as on point as the message I was replying to, which is probably why you cut it?

                  --- In usa-tesla@yahoogroups.com, Reese <reeza@...> wrote:

                  > On 19 Aug 10 15:36 PM, Bill wrote:
                  > >
                  > > If we stopped spending as much energy on decrying the shortage of it we could stop looking. The shortages of "energy, food, and just about everything else" are caused by an excess of political government, which wants fewer people to take a chance on taking over instead of letting them do so. Human beings have never failed to find solutions for their problems before they became fatal to the race, obviously.
                  > > The governments of the world are trying to kill off all the people they can't prevent from growing their own food. Humans got along just fine at every level of development they passed in their history. Many would prefer to go back to simpler lives, but the government is in the way, because that would bring a diminution of their control and power.
                  > > The sooner the better, as far as I'm concerned.
                  >
                  > Is this your idea of "on-topic" discussion?
                  >
                  > Reese

                • Reese
                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 20, 2010
                    On 19 Aug 10 17:10 PM, Bill wrote:

                    > It is just as on point as the message I was replying to, which is probably why you cut it?

                    You thought this paragraph from Da Mad Scientist was off-point?

                    >> So I am not criticising Searle for his ideas, but for his lack of proof, in any form. The Russian work, I have been uneasy about. I am very familiar with it.
                    >> There is something there that is not right.

                    You need to read more carefully. Perhaps read more than just the first
                    sentence or two.

                    Reese
                  • Bill
                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 20, 2010
                      You are absolutely correct. I missed the reference to Tesla in every single sentence, making it very much on point, just as those references were present in my reply.