RE: [usa-tesla] internal diodes in IGBT

    Message 1 of 38 , Jan 11, 2010
      I thought a straightforward way to do it would use enough inductance in series with the cap to ring down to near zero voltage in the storage cap and turn off before the current rises again. That would need a very low Z (Low resistance and low distributed inductance) source cap, and some way to turn the switch off before the current reverses. An SCR might work, especially in series with a diode (that would keep it current starved for around a half cycle, but I am not sure if it will turn off fast enough. This would limit the tank to a +/- the DC voltage on it's initial cycle. Not sure but I think you can tap into say a third of the coil to use 100VDC to drive a 300VAC into the tank.
      Wouldn't you want the primary resonance to be around a few KHz rather than a MHz? (Easier to turn off with at least tens of microseconds).
      Interesting. I just looked up the Wiki on the device. Says you likely will need a series diode to prevent reverse current in the device (unless your particular selection has this built in?), and that it's forward voltage is basically diode limited. This means you will get two diode drops in the forward direction. A high current MOSFET, however, can have a way low forward voltage, even into the millivolts when you are well under it's high current limit. Oh, BTB. I do recall a big deal about what are called snubbers circuits, designed to limit and dissipate the device stress when you slap a high voltage on or off. Should be worth a bit of research.

      Message 38 of 38 , Jan 12, 2010
        Hi Bert,

        I just thought, with 600uS and 10mH, There wouldn't be any point in
        monitering the current as in theory the tank would have rang down long
        before then anyway.. There would not be any way to quench at the first notch
        as that would happen more like at 50uS to 100uS or there abouts. So low
        value inductor will be needed to push enough current into it in 100uS or
        less, otherwise it makes having the inductor almost pointless for voltage
        gain.

        Of course 10Amps is at full power which it probably will never be run at. So
        for a lower end power 2amps will probably be only there anyway. This is at
        300uS too so the overall current will be less once the timing is set
        correctly. So overall it may not even be a problem.

        There only worry is if the timing was set to low, such as 10uS, where the
        IGBT would have to turn off half way though the ring down waveform and that
        probably would be bad for its health. Though I did set this to be 50uS -
        300uS so that could not happen as much. Though this is why I need to check
        on JavaTC to see what my ballpark figures are for this timing. If the
        transfer time take 100uS for example, then 80 - 120uS would be the fixed
        range of adjustment. So at least the ring down would have compleated a
        couple of cycles before the circuit attempted to turn off.

        Chris