Tesla coil help

  • Ted Bej
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2009
      I'm located in the New york Westchester area. I Have a broken Tesla
      coil. My caps keep frying. Need some one to give me a hand to fix it.
      I'm a little new at coiling.
      THANKS
      Ted
    • Bert Hickman
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 31, 2009
        Ted Bej wrote:
        > I'm located in the New york Westchester area. I Have a broken Tesla
        > coil. My caps keep frying. Need some one to give me a hand to fix it.
        > I'm a little new at coiling.
        > THANKS
        > Ted

        Hi Ted,

        Unfortunately, I live in Illinois, but we still may be able to help you
        work through the capacitor problems.

        Capacitors can fail because of excessive current, excessive voltage,
        excessive RF losses, or a combination. In particular, if you are using
        Mylar (polyester) capacitors, they'll quickly overheat from within,
        melt, and fail when used in a Tesla coil primary circuit. Ideally,
        you'll want to use capacitors that use a polypropylene foil-film
        dielectric system or Low density polyethylene if you are using homemade
        caps. Also, for long life, the combined DC rating of your capacitors
        should be at least 3X the faceplate voltage of your HV source - a 15 kV
        Neon Sign Transformer (NST) requires using a capacitor bank that has a
        45 kVDC rating. If you are rolling your own, then oil immersion may also
        be essential. And finally, the capacitors must be capable of handling
        the high currents seen in a Tesla Coil primary circuit when the gap fires.

        To pinpoint the problems, we'll need a bit more information. What kind
        of capacitors are you using (manufacturer, part number, capacitance,
        voltage, and how many caps in series and parallel). Also, what are you
        using for your high voltage source?

        Bert
        We specialize in UNIQUE items! Coins shrunk by huge
        magnetic fields, Lichtenberg Figures (our "Captured
        Lightning") and out of print technical Books. Visit
        Stoneridge Engineering at http://www.teslamania.com
      • Bert Hickman
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 31, 2009
          Interesting video about how one man can move incredibly heavy stuff -
          very clever techniques!

          http://j-walkblog.com/index.php?/weblog/posts/moving_big_rocks