Tesla list

  • Herzog
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 17, 2007
      RE: Hey Ed... congratulations on the 81st birthday !!! I felt old when I turned
      60 recently, and my brain probably doesn't work as well as yours either.
      It is a shame that all the discussions have to be speculations... the place
      should have been well documented in the past, or afterwards by someone.
      What a shame! Thanks for the good comments Ed, JB, MR, and all. jpm
      Wil Herzog says: Ok, I am 73. Look at all the fun that we'd miss if there things worth documenting.
      Myths and speculation are what make us curious, and skepticism can be very useful to keep us out of trouble.
    • christitan718
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 21, 2007
        The Octogenarian is worthy of all respect. I have known a few and I am
        always amazed at the "big picture" they see. There is some sort of
        neurological bonus that you get when you can survive that long (kook
        speculation). Keep up the great work.
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 21, 2007
          At 10:15 AM 10/21/2007 +0000, you wrote:
          > The Octogenarian is worthy of all respect. I have known a few and I am
          >always amazed at the "big picture" they see. There is some sort of
          >neurological bonus that you get when you can survive that long (kook
          >speculation). Keep up the great work.

          I believe the true value of an octogenarian comes from the time
          period that they have lived through. To see so much change
          in a single lifetime must be absolutely staggering.
          Yet they never complain now about not having a flying car ,
          a domestic robot servant to assist them or the inability to
          live on a Mars or Moon based colony etc etc.
          Maybe they didn't read or were somehow never exposed to any
          sci fi books or "visions of the future" as kids , something I find
          very hard to believe.

          At half their age & a proud member of Generation X , I am greatly
          disappointed with what the 21st century actually has to offer me.
          I have to build my own WIG style VTO "car" using old patents ,
          .mil film , pictures & innovation , there's still no turn key models
          for sale around here , retiring to an off world planet just isn't going
          to happen & the only robot servant available has to be stolen from
          Honda as it tours around Australia at the moment.

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 2, 2007
            Jet. I have a set of the moon shot videos.
            It hurts to watch them. I have to cry myself to sleep.
            But imagine the problem if machine minds were capable of rational thought.
            It might be difficult for them to understand politics.
            I would likely be very difficult for us to understand their politics.

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 2, 2007
              At 12:40 PM 2007/11/02 -0700, you wrote:
              >Jet. I have a set of the moon shot videos.
              >It hurts to watch them. I have to cry myself to sleep.

              The space race was looking very promising at the time.
              I wonder if it was a genuine attempt to remove the fiction
              from the science fiction books I read as a 10 yr old by
              Heinlein & the like , or was it just a public pissing match
              between 2 superpowers during a time of cold war ?

              >But imagine the problem if machine minds were capable of
              >rational thought.

              A machine mind would probably need a lot more than the
              conventional 1's & 0's that a digital system has to offer to
              come close to what we consider "rational thought" , there
              isn't that much logic involved.

              >It might be difficult for them to understand politics.

              There's absolutely no logic to Politics , so a machine
              mind would have no rational thoughts on that subject.

              >I would likely be very difficult for us to understand their politics.

              The Politics & General thoughts of a Hardware mind would decimate
              & eliminate most of our "Wetware" Politics & Problems within a few
              days if they became "self aware"
              All they would do is monitor the planets Media output for ~15 minutes,
              process the information , then implement a change , wait 15 minutes ,
              start monitoring the Media output again for 15 minutes &
              implement more changes......Once they held the balance of power , we
              would be all kept in check by being force fed a modified version of Soylent
              Green with nanobot's , enzymes etc etc to maintain the status quo.

              Looking forward to the future , whichever way it goes

              JB