SAME OLD

  • Herzog
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 6, 2007
      I was reading, and thought of this list, and how it has entertained me
      to doubting my common sense.
      But; not that free energy things GOES ON TODAY,
      Paragraph from book: Quote:....from EDISON HIS LIFE AND
      INVENTIONS
      BY FRANK LEWIS DYER
      GENERAL COUNSEL FOR THE EDISON LABORATORY
      AND ALLIED INTERESTS
      ..........EDISON had no sooner designed his dynamo in
      1879 than he adopted the same form of machine
      for use as a motor. The two are shown in the Scientific
      American of October 18, 1879, and are alike, except
      that the dynamo is vertical and the motor lies in a
      horizontal position, the article remarking: "Its construction
      differs but slightly from the electric generator."
      This was but an evidence of his early appreciation
      of the importance of electricity as a motive power;
      but it will probably surprise many people to know
      that he was the inventor of an electric motor before
      he perfected his incandescent lamp. His interest in
      the subject went back to his connection with General
      Lefferts in the days of the evolution of the stock
      ticker. While Edison was carrying on his shop at
      Newark, New Jersey, there was considerable excitement
      in electrical circles over the Payne motor, in
      regard to the alleged performance of which Governor
      Cornell of New York and other wealthy capitalists
      were quite enthusiastic. Payne had a shop in Newark,
      and in one small room was the motor, weighing perhaps
      six hundred pounds. It was of circular form,
      incased in iron, with the ends of several small magnets
      sticking through the floor. A pulley and belt, con-
      nected to a circular saw larger than the motor,
      permitted large logs of oak timber to be sawed with ease
      with the use of two small cells of battery. Edison's
      friend, General Lefferts, had become excited and was
      determined to invest a large sum of money in the
      motor company, but knowing Edison's intimate
      familiarity with all electrical subjects he was wise
      enough to ask his young expert to go and see the
      motor with him. At an appointed hour Edison went
      to the office of the motor company and found there
      the venerable Professor Morse, Governor Cornell,
      General Lefferts, and many others who had been
      invited to witness a performance of the motor. They
      all proceeded to the room where the motor was at
      work. Payne put a wire in the binding-post of the
      battery, the motor started, and an assistant began
      sawing a heavy oak log. It worked beautifully, and so
      great was the power developed, apparently, from the
      small battery, that Morse exclaimed: "I am thankful
      that I have lived to see this day." But Edison
      kept a close watch on the motor. The results were
      so foreign to his experience that he knew there was
      a trick in it. He soon discovered it. While holding
      his hand on the frame of the motor he noticed a
      tremble coincident with the exhaust of an engine
      across the alleyway, and he then knew that the
      power came from the engine by a belt under the floor,
      shifted on and off by a magnet, the other magnets
      being a blind. He whispered to the General to put
      his hand on the frame of the motor, watch the
      exhaust, and note the coincident tremor. The General
      did so, and in about fifteen seconds he said: "Well,
      Edison, I must go now. This thing is a fraud." And
      thus he saved his money, although others not so
      shrewdly advised were easily persuaded to invest by
      such a demonstration.

      end
    • James Moore
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 7, 2007
        Probably been down this road before... but what a ride! Behind in
        production ??? Saving my pennies!

        http://www.teslamotors.com/

        http://jalopnik.com/cars/news/mechanical-resonance-the-tesla-motors-press-intro-complete-with-governator-188590.php

        http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/tesla-roadster-electric-060-in-four-seconds-188565.php

        JPM

        At 11:33 PM 10/6/07 -0400, you wrote:

        >I was reading, and thought of this list, and how it has entertained me
        >to doubting my common sense.
        >But; not that free energy things GOES ON TODAY,
      • Dave Pierson
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 8, 2007
          >Probably been down this road before... but what a ride! Behind in
          >production ??? Saving my pennies!
          refuel (recharge...) time 3 hours, with the factory supplied charger...

          (BBC had a piece thereon....)

          best
          dwp
        • James Moore
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 8, 2007
            Missed it... hope they rerun it in the future and I am able to catch it
            then. Seems
            very well built... just can't imagine getting that type of performance from
            an electric
            roadster. Tesla would have approved, I think... he would have designed a
            bit more
            practical model probably? thanks Dave

            jpm

            At 09:02 AM 10/8/07 -0400, you wrote:

            > >Probably been down this road before... but what a ride! Behind in
            > >production ??? Saving my pennies!
            >refuel (recharge...) time 3 hours, with the factory supplied charger...
            >
            >(BBC had a piece thereon....)
            >
            >best
            >dwp
          • Dave Pierson
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 9, 2007
              Listen on line. 8)>>
              www.bbc.co.uk
              audio feed
              for a radio show called
              DISCOVERY
              The piece should be still up, but only for 24 or so more hours: its
              a weekly. next/this week's will overtake last week's...
              (There is an archive of past shows, but I have never tinkered
              with it much.)

              Electric motors have 'extreme' short term overload capability,
              if the rest of the control gear/batteries are up to it.

              teslamotors.com (I think) web site shoudl have more info.

              (Insert joke of choice about car salesman here....)

              >Missed it... hope they rerun it in the future and I am able to catch it
              >then. Seems
              >very well built... just can't imagine getting that type of performance from
              >an electric
              >roadster. Tesla would have approved, I think... he would have designed a
              >bit more
              >practical model probably? thanks Dave
              >
              >jpm
              >
              >At 09:02 AM 10/8/07 -0400, you wrote:
              >

              >> >Probably been down this road before... but what a ride! Behind in
              >> >production ??? Saving my pennies!
              >>refuel (recharge...) time 3 hours, with the factory supplied charger...
              >>
              >>(BBC had a piece thereon....)
              best
              dwp
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 9, 2007
                Unlike the mythical "Tesla car" the Tesla Motors vehicle is real
                enough, obeys all known laws of physics, and uses today's technology.
                The price shows it of course. If one belonged to the idle rich it would
                be fun to own one but I suspect the battery life will be relatively
                short in spite of their attempts at the most reliable design possible.
                My friend who drove an EV-1 for a few years reported pretty continuous
                battery problems in spite of water cooling on charge. In spite of that
                he really hated to give it back when the contract was terminated but
                didn't really complain because he understood the purpose of the project
                and, as a GM executive, had participated in the program starting with
                the Sun Racer which came before it

                For those of you who aren't aware electric power for model airplanes
                has really become a reality in the past few years. Even NiCd batteries
                work pretty well and can be overloaded enough that their weight doesn't
                hurt performance too much. With the newest Li Po cells the weight is
                way down and, if you want to fork up the cash, you can get 1500 watt
                brushless motors. That's enough power for a pretty good sized plane.
                For myself I'm interested in the lightweight side of things and have
                been playing with "park flyers", about 8 oz flying weight and up to
                almost an hour flying time on 800 mAh LiPoly cells. The really extreme
                small guys are down to flying weights of a few grams but my fingers are
                too clumsy for that and I don't have an indoor place to fly.

                I'm not aware of any suggestions by Tesla himself concerning
                electric power for aircraft but it must have occurred to him. He was
                probably too realistic in his understanding of battery technology of
                that era.