ANOTHER NAME TO IDENTIFY

    Message 1 of 36 , Aug 7, 2007
      Christian Huelsmeyer

      Is he known in the world of "technotrivia"?

      Ed

      More on original list later.
      Message 36 of 36 , Aug 13, 2007
        Reese:

        I've read this twice and I guess I forget what your "point" was in
        the beginning. Minewas and is simple: there's no particular reason for
        the public to know the names or accomplishments of any inventors and
        most of the public has no interest in such things anyway - sports
        heroes, movie and TV stars and the like are more important. Names
        get associated with PRODUCTS (Edison, Ford, Chrysler, Northrop, etc.)
        more than with inventors. I'm sure there are many lists of "The most
        important 100 inventors and what they invented" and anyone is free to
        prepare his own and I was inviting you to write Tesla's entry as you see
        it. That fact that one of your favorite inventors is not better known
        probably has no significance whatever, fans of conspiracy theory
        notwithstanding.

        Ed

        P.S. Neither Swan nor Edison invented the incandescent lamp and neither
        ever claimed to have done so. They did invent/develop and patent
        improved lamps and methods for making them (note that most of Tesla's
        patents are stated to be "improvements in the art") and ended up selling
        them with their name. You have criticized Edison for taking credit for
        work done by the employees in his Menlo Park laboratory but that is just
        what they were, employees paid to develop things. Many people credit
        Edison with a very important invention - the modern industrial research
        lab. Menlo Park really was the first. and many others followed within a
        very few years.