April fools on Space.com

  • David Thomson
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1 7:46 AM
      Daves Choice Stationery

      - Bush Cancels Space Shuttle Program

      Did anybody see this, yet?  It's funny.

      Dave
    • panamabob@SouthernLatitudes.org
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1 8:29 AM
        Daves Choice Stationery
        I don't think it was a joke..They are already dropping shuttle missions for Hubble maintenance, and Hubble is arguably one of the most impact and successful space projects ever. With that gone why not 86 the SSI that was suppose to be operational by 2002...  leave it tom the Chinese and Ruskies and anybody else, like brazil to continue and focus on Moon and Mars project...
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 1 9:02 AM
          The snip below, is a dead give away that it is an April Fools joke.

          JPM

          "During the press conference Bush told reporters, "I don't want to see another NASA administrator - appointed on my watch - left to justify a program to Congress based on lies, dis-information, half-truths and sexed up reports."

          During a brief two-minute period provided for questions from the press, the first reporter asked if this meant the Space Station was also being shut down. To which the President answered, "we plan to either hold an auction on Ebay or give it away to "our international partners."

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 1 9:06 AM
            Hi Bob,

            To begin with, if canceling the Space Shuttle were real it would
            make national headlines. Second, the Hubble is being replaced by
            a more sophisticated space telescope. There's only so much money
            available for operating space telescopes. The extra $2 billion
            dollars to fix the Hubble is just plain excessive.

            Everything is just fine.

            Dave

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 1 9:25 AM
              OK... if you say so....   but why dump the Hubble in the mean time? I bet if you turned it around and aimed at Earth you could get some GREAT cheesecake shots at the Scandinavian beaches.  :-)

            • David Thomson
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 1 9:43 AM
                Hi Bob,

                Nobody is dumping the Hubble. They are going to use it for every
                last photograph they can get from it. You can count on that.
                They're just not going to spend $2 billion to fly up and extend
                its life. Only when the telescope gets dangerously close to
                losing control will they send it to a controlled descent. We
                don't need a huge telescope falling at random toward earth.

                Dave

                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 1 5:03 PM
                  "Hi Bob,

                  To begin with, if canceling the Space Shuttle were real it would
                  make national headlines. Second, the Hubble is being replaced by
                  a more sophisticated space telescope. There's only so much money
                  available for operating space telescopes. The extra $2 billion
                  dollars to fix the Hubble is just plain excessive.

                  Everything is just fine.

                  Dave"

                  The new telescope won't be around for at least 10 years, IF the money
                  is forthcoming and continues to be appropriated until it is finished.
                  Hubble is up there and working, with lots of good work left to do. All
                  is by no means well.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 1 5:09 PM
                    "Hi Bob,

                    Nobody is dumping the Hubble. They are going to use it for every
                    last photograph they can get from it. You can count on that.
                    They're just not going to spend $2 billion to fly up and extend
                    its life. Only when the telescope gets dangerously close to
                    losing control will they send it to a controlled descent. We
                    don't need a huge telescope falling at random toward earth.

                    Dave "

                    Can't agree. "A bird in the hand........". There is absolutely no
                    reason to believe new space telescopes will survive the several changes
                    in administration before they are ever built, and politicians are very
                    fickle!

                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 1 6:44 PM

                      Ed Phillips wrote:
                      "Hi Bob,

                      Nobody is dumping the Hubble.  They are going to use it for every
                      last photograph they can get from it.  You can count on that.
                      They're just not going to spend $2 billion to fly up and extend
                      its life.  Only when the telescope gets dangerously close to
                      losing control will they send it to a controlled descent.  We
                      don't need a huge telescope falling at random toward earth.

                      Dave "

                            Can't agree.  "A bird in the hand........".  There is absolutely no
                      reason to believe new space telescopes will survive the several changes
                      in administration before they are ever built, and politicians are very
                      fickle!

                      Ed
                      YES!  In this case, both the demopublicanS and the republocratS.

                      Jim