RE: [usa-tesla] Periodic Table Alternatives

    Message 1 of 104 , Oct 5 7:25 AM

      No more than a circle is a mathematical construct that happens to
      approximate certain physical situations.

      > The often seen Ultraviolent Catastrophe in the various graphs
      > & texts seems to have some merit as it is based on
      > "classical' theory" but lacks directions on how to avoid it.

      This is an odd way to look at it. Classical theory suggests a UV
      catastrophe. Since there is no UVC, classical theory, or at least the
      way it is used to approach this particular problem, must be flawed. QM
      does not have this particular flaw. It's pretty simple that way. There
      is no "merit" to a model of behavior that does not happen because it is
      based on classical theory. I don't see why there should be?
      Message 104 of 104 , Oct 15 3:46 PM
        At 04:46 PM 14/10/2004 -0700, you wrote:

        >Don't dis Pi. This is a valuable and venerable old number. Show a little
        >respect."
        >
        > Do anything you want. Pi is pi and doesn't care a bit!!!!!
        >
        >Ed

        So the difference between expressing & applying Pi as a 24/7 ratio vs
        3.14yadyyahyah_ is of little or no consequence when calculating stuff ?

        You recently mentioned (or gave me the impression) that the difference
        between
        the speed of light in "air" vs the speed of light in vacuum is of no
        real
        consequence either.
        Ed , as a credible Engineer & Educator, can I ask how or why you are
        able to
        dismiss the subtle differences in the values of each number or ratio
        when used
        for calculation purposes in the real world. ?

        JB "

        You must have misunderstood what I meant, or more probably I didn't
        state it clearly. Pi is the name assigned to the ratio of the
        circumference of a circle to its diameter and is irrational in any
        number system you care to set up. That's what I meant by: "Do anything
        you want. Pi is pi and doesn't care a bit!!!!!" As someone pointed
        out, if you choose a system where the value of Pi is 1, all other values
        will be irrational.

        No intent to dismiss subtle differences in anything; not sure where you
        got that idea. In radar work we have to correct for the subtle
        differences in the velocity of propagation along the line of sight to a
        target, based on the properties of the air along the way. There are
        standard "correction approximations" which often suffice, but in order
        to measure the range (and angle to, for that matter) with great
        precision (+/- 5 ppm, for instance) it is necessary to use current
        values for temperature, pressure, and humidity along the path. The GPS
        has to worry about this and also ionospheric refraction as well.

        For some practical problems 22/7 is a useful value for Pi, although
        355/113 is very much closer. Turns out both values were known to the
        (later dynasty) Egyptians, but they often used 3 as well. Pi also shows
        up in just about any electrical engineering calculations and it's often
        necessary to use at least 8 figure precision.