3D pendulum gravity or centripetal?

  • long_boat_roz
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2004
      Hi,
      Did I just prove gravity is centripetal or did I just state the
      obvious?What happened? I need some constructive critism please.See
      files for illustration of experiment.

      I have discovered that motion is two dimensional and three
      dimensional.A pendulum is related to centripetal and centrifugal
      motion, and is generally two dimensional, there and back or rather
      in and out.My experiment asks the question ...Is pendulum motion a
      result of gravity or centrifugal force.The experiment shows that
      centrifugal force holds it at the rim as long as it is moving at the
      same speed as the disc.It is held at the height of the pendulum
      swing on a 3D plane quite comfortably.Take it out further (faster)
      and gravity makes it slow and drop back to the perifery again. It
      takes up this natural position.Pendulum motion has intrinsically the
      force of gravity to pull it back. Centrifugal force prevents gravity
      from returning it to the centre.It demonstrates half the motion of a
      pendulum swing. Can we then say that slowing down the centrifugal
      motion is the same thing as centripetal motion?According to the
      dictionary yes, it is a motion to the centre regardless of
      speed.This may appear self evident except that it ties the two
      forces gravity and centrifugal forces together and shows that
      pendulum motion can be 3 dimensional as well as 2
      dimensional.Centrifugal force opposes gravity in an unexpected way .
      Not in this case as an up and down force but actually to keep the
      pendulum from falling inward on a 360 degree horizontal plane.So
      when you swing a pendulum back and forth it is more about
      centripetal force moving it back to the centre rather than gravity
      if you include the complete picture of what a pendulum actually is
      and since gravity is purely about up and down.If gravity is
      centripetal that means we are the vortex ,and we are moving at the
      same speed as the perifery of the earth in perfect balance.In fact
      the earth is at the end of a 3dimensional vortex on all planes of
      cosmic particles from all directions.Regards Roz.