Lithium , X Ray machines & 35mm cameras.

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 15, 2003
      Happy travels James , tho you should really be coming to Oz if you want
      real beaches...... A wide variety of the worlds finest is waiting here for
      you now , you can have a 12 mile long one to yourself 3 hours out of Sydney
      to the north <excluding school holidays> , or a smaller beach crowded
      with scantily clad , mostly topless tanned young women catching the rays ,
      although semi crowded what they lack in size & that "Omega Man" feeling you
      get from having 12 miles of your own beach , they make up for in atmosphere
      & eye candy , these other smaller beaches are 20 minutes to 1 hrs drive
      from Sydneys GPO (traffic pending).

      If you are going to be taking any 35mm film shots make sure you don't let
      the canisters go thru the X ray machine , with the way they have them
      screwed up now they will nuke the film , rather than damage it like they
      used to , probably wont do much good to any unshielded magnetic data
      holders like floppies etc either

      JB
    • James Moore
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 16, 2003
        Hi Jb... I have a special lead lined pouch for the 35mm film cans.
        OZ will be on my future list of travels... I know from others that OZ
        beaches have most all beat hands down! Tried printing the chart, and
        all was well to the shells part and then stopped... but didn't try printing
        it landscape style. The ticket on that one is probably an extra wide printer
        configured for landscape I would guess. Or if one knew htlm well enough,
        one might be able to manipulate the size some way and then get it to print
        in much smaller fonts size? Time for my dose of Lithium... it warms the tongue
        you know... <);^> later......

        JPM

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 16, 2003
          At 09:07 03/07/16 -0500, you wrote:
          >Hi Jb... I have a special lead lined pouch for the 35mm film cans.

          Just don't go wearing that pouch on your head to protect yourself from
          <whisper> them.......my own "standard" film stock , Fuji 400* , ( travels
          in a gutted out Arritechno 300 ft film magazine
          http://www.arri.com/prod/med/img/techno.jpg unfortunately I don't have the
          lens /camera adaptor & have no interest in shooting 35mm film unless its
          from a Panaflex camera , this box is genuinely X Ray proof & is no end of
          amusement with X ray machines.I got a ton of Agfa 3 part developing fluid
          too , long legal story..........

          >OZ will be on my future list of travels... I know from others that OZ
          >beaches have most all beat hands down!

          This big old island has a beach with amusements to suit everyone , topless
          women , portugese man o wars , dolphins to surf with , sharks & crocodiles
          to wrestle (if you are in the right place)
          If you have never gone swimming/surfing or snorkeling with 3 diving blades
          strapped onto you & a speargun slung over your back with the "bang stick"
          head on it (.303 round) try it , never managed a shark kill , despite the
          signs saying that there were sharks in the area.......
          Hunting animals in the water that can kill you , is very different from
          hunting +300Kg wild pigs on land , with a spear & a few Bowie knives (&
          possibly a handgun , just in case) , a tree drop onto the back of a pig & a
          blade to the brain , no muss no fuss <mostly> Ahhh the Xtreme sports of my
          youth back in the 1980's

          >Tried printing the chart, and all was well to the shells part and then
          >stopped... but didn't try printingit landscape style. The ticket on that
          >one is probably an extra wide printer configured for landscape I would guess.

          I tried cutting tables out , smaller fonts etc etc BUT !!!
          After David kindly guided me to http://www.webelements.com/ , I could see
          the sound of one hand clapping , chemically speaking.
          Ill try & download the entire site VRML & all , information like this will
          soon be taken off the internet. Showing the complete "specs sheet" on every
          element , is not a thing that should be left for people to easily get their
          hands onto , how about your .gov passes a law banning all such knowledge it
          may be dangerous.

          >Time for my dose of Lithium... it warms the tongue
          >you know... <);^> later......

          Kurt Cobain encountered great difficulty in distinguishing the safe & not
          so safe end of a shotgun whilst under the influence of Lithium & possibly
          some other "medications" ____please_____ be careful when handling firearms
          & using the brain benders your "doctor" has prescribed you , they will
          often rub your brain the WRONG (tm) way.

          JB

          *I use nothing else , unless it comes out of a fridge , or I'm given some
          "short ends" from a Kodak film lab or industry person , they'll get
          wound into re usable 35mm canisters , it's sort of like loading your own
          wildcat "specials" for shooting projectiles , only with movie film you have
          a Kodak stock guide to give you the specs of the film , 10 grain film is
          fun if you can get it ,just use LOTS of well light , a few 400W metal
          halides lamps , not the ugly mercury vapour ones, with reflectors , as seen
          in factories & other well lit commercial areas, usually hanging in high
          places or a wide variety of wattages can be found outside on the ground
          usually in the garden of a commercial building to light their signs up at
          night. FWIW ;>
        • raymond minhoto
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 16, 2003
            who are you and where did you get my email address from???? talk to you later, bye.

            Do you Yahoo!?
          • James Moore
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 16, 2003
              I really don't think that the elemental properties chart will be taken
              off the net, because they can probably be had in any other public
              domain library, etc.... What is so dangerous about this information
              anyway? Such knowledge would only be dangerous in the hands
              of folks that would be able to use it, and would probably already
              have sources for this knowledge anyway. I am sure that terrorist
              minded individuals have studied Tesla extensively, and this is probably
              why he kept most of the important missing links to his inventions
              of possible mass destructions, in his indelible head, I would guess.

              JPM

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 16, 2003
                At 21:13 03/07/16 -0500, you wrote:
                >I really don't think that the elemental properties chart will be taken
                >off the net, because they can probably be had in any other public
                >domain library, etc....

                It was a tad tongue in cheek when I mentioned that your .gov should not let
                out all the details for the building blocks of this planet to the people.
                After all you now have had many new & exciting laws & bills to live (in
                fear ?) with if an LEO chooses to abuse them on you.The Technology Police
                are not all that far away......

                As to alternate information collection areas , the skool library was my
                first stop , if not there the local library had most the answers I needed
                during my skool daze.

                <slight rant , skewed off topic , involving my youth follows , read at your
                own risk>

                When the young impressionable 13 yr old from down the street wanted me to
                teach him how to make fire crackers & all the other "stuff" associated with
                being a "powder monkey" I straight up declined his offer , instead I sent
                him to _his_ skool library (with a few hints on where to look) and he was
                able to find information on the manufacture & applications of pyrotechnics
                & how proper explosives worked as a chain reaction , after allegedly
                reading the book he asked for my information on pryo & explosives once
                again , after failing to be able to explain to me the inner workings or
                basic concept behind the .45 long Colt I loaned him to demonstrate to me
                how it worked , he was sent back to the books & told not to ask about do
                it yourself pryo devices until he could snatch the round from my hand.
                <sort of> Conversely I was accidently caught reading about the manufacture
                & uses of "gun cotton" at age 8 in an encyclopedia at my skool library ,
                much to the horror of the Librarian , when the Principal <a usually jolly
                fellow> found this out he had me hauled out of class & down to his office
                looking very cross at me , I casually told him how to make gunpowder , who
                originally "made" it , how to use it to suit your needs , how musket
                loaded rifles differed from breech loaded rifles etc etc , he then asked me
                about SCUBA diving (it seemed very odd at the time) so I explained as best
                I could the historical evolution of the olde weighted down brass helmet
                underwater breathing devices to the modern day (late 1970's) Self Contained
                Underwater Breathing Apparatus , the benz & other underwater "stuff" I knew
                , including the polarization of light in water , most of this information
                was learnt from the library & talking to anyone with a scuba tank whilst on
                holidays , overall my crime seemed that I knew too much for my age.
                He asked me if I would ever use this (pyro) knowledge on someone ? I
                eventually replied , yes , if they _really_deserved it , but first I'd give
                them a few warnings , like 4 flat car tyres on a hot summer friday
                afternoon with no schrauder (sp) valves in them so they could be not be
                easily re-inflated.The verbal memo he must have passed around to the other
                teachers would have made for good listening , it was only the new teachers
                or the ones who kept riding my back that suffered the initial flat tyre
                warning , after that they treated me as a little person rather than a student.

                >What is so dangerous about this information anyway? Such knowledge would
                >only be dangerous in the hands of folks that would be able to use it, and
                >would probably already have sources for this knowledge anyway.

                I had good knowledge & ability at age 8 , fortunately I was happy with
                growing up , finding out how things worked.By age 10 I could have made a
                timed detonator to magnetically stick to a cars petrol tank to make it
                explode.Fortunately life was peaceful out in the burbs.....

                If I had access to the internet @ 8 years old , there's no telling what I
                could/would have become other than a more knowledgeable non violent little
                monster , I did know my basic right from WRONG! I carried a very useful
                tool kit in my schoolcase at the time, so pity help any bully/teacher who
                kept hitting or hassling me for no good reason , the said bully or teacher
                would get a dose of sand or sugar in the appropriate areas & if they had a
                bike of any sorts several spokes on each wheel would be tightened to the
                point of stripping them.My "abilities" were all learnt from books &
                information given to me by older well meaning people who taught me not to
                fight especially on skool grounds as they could not help me there & it
                would go down on some permanent record that would follow me all thru my
                educational process.
                They said to use my brains , not my fists to figure a way to get even with
                them & not get caught in the process.

                So an 8 yr old like me at the time with access to the internet would
                probably have ended up as a professional quiz show contestant by age 13
                waiting until he could become a tradesman. I wanted a job/trade that was
                dangerous & you got to use tools , anything except a painter , like my
                father was, he was mechanically inept & of no technical or social value
                whatsoever.

                > I am sure that terrorist minded individuals have studied Tesla
                > extensively, and this is probably why he kept most of the important
                > missing links to his inventions of possible mass destructions, in his
                > indelible head, I would guess.
                >
                >JPM

                I find the term "mass destruction" somewhat misguided , large explosions
                can certainly cause mass destruction when the smoke & dust clear , but , a
                nasty chemical gas discharge only destroys the biological "things" in its
                path. The traditional picture of a city raised to the ground is "mass
                destruction" , a picture of an intact city skyline scattered with bloated
                burnt bodies deserves a more sinister name , imho.
              • James Moore
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 17, 2003
                  At 03:29 PM 7/17/03 +1000, you wrote:

                   All knowledge has two basic potentials good and bad JB,
                  depending upon who's eyes you are viewing or brain that is assimilating... to a
                  terrorist, some knowledge that would ordinarily be used for good, could be used
                  for bad, which to the terrorist, would of course be good. Some knowledge will rightfully
                  be suppressed from the public domain, for obvious reasons. There was a day in
                  our (US) sordid past when public libraries were required to pull from there shelves the works
                  of certain individuals and turn them in to the FBI to be destroyed. There are rumors with
                  some substance, that Tesla may have been among those elite individuals.

                  The Technology Police
                  are not all that far away......

                  This is for certain JB....

                  JPM