Re: [usa-tesla] Comments on Tesla's Vacuum Process

  • James Moore
    Message 1 of 67 , Jun 3, 2002
      Interesting Fred.... so with the type of diffusion pump of which you
      speak, which is a more classical design... this would go behind a
      regular vacuum pump, to pull very high vacuums on the final stage?

      JPM

      At 12:57 PM 06/03/2002 -0700, you wrote:

      >Jim wrote,
      >
      >> But: the exhaust is into the chamber of a lower grade "vacuum pump." Well,
      >> just replace this vacuum pump with another diffusion pump, perhaps using a
      >> different fluid. Add stages as needed. The final stage can well be
      >> exhausted to
      >> the outside air, and the fluid could be air also (instead of a boiler in
      >> this stage, an air compressor could be used.
      >>
      >> Jim
      >

      > Needless to say I have BUILT these pumps from parts. I have
      > cleaned these pumps using powerful solvents and sand-blasting.
      >
      > One cannot get any diffusion pump I have ever seen to work
      > near atmospheric pressure. The stream of hot gasses must be
      > undisturbed and must be at supersonic velocities. This requires
      > very low pressures. At atmospheric pressures this gas stream
      > would be far far too messy. This 'venturi' thing you referred to
      > is not necessary in a diffusion pump as we are at very very low
      > pressures already. The air molecules which get into the diffusion
      > pump are swept downstream by the re-directed flow of oil or
      > mercury molecules. How? Well, there is a heater/boiler in the
      > bottom of the diffusion pump that acts much as the heater in a
      > coffee percolator, only this happens at a very low pressure instead
      > of atmospheric pressure. The boiling liquid yields high-velocity
      > gas molecules (oil or mercury) which go up a tube in the central
      > core of the pump and exit at various heights through slots in the
      > side of this tube. Above and around these exit holes are umbrella-like
      > baffles which goes all around the central tube. This ultrasonic
      > stream of oil or mercury molecules hits this umbrella and changes
      > direction to downward. A very clean direction change. Any air
      > molecules which happen to drift into the pump body from above will
      > get caught up in the downward stream. The idea is that the oil or
      > mercury molecules will transfer some of their kinetic energy to
      > these incoming air molecules and direct them towards the output of
      > the diffusion pump so that the backing pump can suck them away.
      > There the molecules of oil or mercury hit the cold walls of the
      > diffusion pump where they immediately condense to a liquid, and the
      > molecules of air keep going towards the pump output. In this process
      > of condensing, any oil or mercury molecules which evaporate or bounce
      > off the diffusion pump's cold inner walls also eventually get hit by
      > the fast stream and are also pushed back down towards the pump output.
      > Thus they eventually all condense into a liquid, and run back down
      > into the boiler section and so they do not get pumped away by the
      > backing pump. They get heated up again and go back into the ultrasonic
      > vapour stream headed up the central tube.
      >
      > There are a FEW molecules of diffusion-pump liquid which may migrate
      > upwards and out of the diffusion pump during operation. This is normal.
      > To prevent these from getting into the vacuum system being pumped,
> [...]

      "Each day is a new life. Seize it. Live it."
      --David Guy Powers--
    • James Moore
      Message 67 of 67 , Sep 27, 2002
        Who are terrorists? Your guess is as good as mine, and who sponsors terrorism? I thought
        that this connection was rather interesting. It is probably just the public tip of the ice burg?

        http://www.msnbc.com/news/813579.asp?pne=msntv&cp1=1