Re: [usa-tesla] Comments on Tesla's Vacuum Process

  • Fred Bach
    Message 1 of 67 , Jun 3, 2002
      Jim wrote,

      > But: the exhaust is into the chamber of a lower grade "vacuum pump." Well,
      > just replace this vacuum pump with another diffusion pump, perhaps using a
      > different fluid. Add stages as needed. The final stage can well be
      > exhausted to
      > the outside air, and the fluid could be air also (instead of a boiler in
      > this stage, an air compressor could be used.
      >
      > Jim

      Needless to say I have BUILT these pumps from parts. I have
      cleaned these pumps using powerful solvents and sand-blasting.

      One cannot get any diffusion pump I have ever seen to work
      near atmospheric pressure. The stream of hot gasses must be
      undisturbed and must be at supersonic velocities. This requires
      very low pressures. At atmospheric pressures this gas stream
      would be far far too messy. This 'venturi' thing you referred to
      is not necessary in a diffusion pump as we are at very very low
      pressures already. The air molecules which get into the diffusion
      pump are swept downstream by the re-directed flow of oil or
      mercury molecules. How? Well, there is a heater/boiler in the
      bottom of the diffusion pump that acts much as the heater in a
      coffee percolator, only this happens at a very low pressure instead
      of atmospheric pressure. The boiling liquid yields high-velocity
      gas molecules (oil or mercury) which go up a tube in the central
      core of the pump and exit at various heights through slots in the
      side of this tube. Above and around these exit holes are umbrella-like
      baffles which goes all around the central tube. This ultrasonic
      stream of oil or mercury molecules hits this umbrella and changes
      direction to downward. A very clean direction change. Any air
      molecules which happen to drift into the pump body from above will
      get caught up in the downward stream. The idea is that the oil or
      mercury molecules will transfer some of their kinetic energy to
      these incoming air molecules and direct them towards the output of
      the diffusion pump so that the backing pump can suck them away.
      There the molecules of oil or mercury hit the cold walls of the
      diffusion pump where they immediately condense to a liquid, and the
      molecules of air keep going towards the pump output. In this process
      of condensing, any oil or mercury molecules which evaporate or bounce
      off the diffusion pump's cold inner walls also eventually get hit by
      the fast stream and are also pushed back down towards the pump output.
      Thus they eventually all condense into a liquid, and run back down
      into the boiler section and so they do not get pumped away by the
      backing pump. They get heated up again and go back into the ultrasonic
      vapour stream headed up the central tube.

      There are a FEW molecules of diffusion-pump liquid which may migrate
      upwards and out of the diffusion pump during operation. This is normal.
      To prevent these from getting into the vacuum system being pumped,
      there is usually a cold trap of some sort at the top of the pump
      which is water cooled or (more usually) liquid-nitrogen cooled. When
      the back-streaming molecules of diffusion-pump liquid hit the
      surface of the cold trap, they freeze solid and stick there. This
      cold trap also usually does a good job of condensing other incoming
      molecules, like carbon dioxide, water and argon.

      Needless to say, this kind of diffusion pump depends on gravity to
      keep the liquid where it belongs, at the bottom of the pump. Thus
      a diffusion pump must operate in the upright or near-upright position.

      .. Fred Bach music@... Opinions are only mine.
    • James Moore
      Message 67 of 67 , Sep 27, 2002
        Who are terrorists? Your guess is as good as mine, and who sponsors terrorism? I thought
        that this connection was rather interesting. It is probably just the public tip of the ice burg?

        http://www.msnbc.com/news/813579.asp?pne=msntv&cp1=1