Re: I am checking this out

  • Ron Stephens
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 4, 1999
      At 09:26 PM 1/4/99 -0800, you wrote:
      >Dye Hawley here. I subscribed to your new list. However, I still feel that
      >people can filter out the bad ones on the other list. It is really NOT that
      >hard. I have been in computers for over 23 years and I can assure you that
      >people are either: 1) Too lazy to read the HELP section on their browser
      >2.) Don't care 3.) Enjoy the profanity and find it exciting.
      >
      >Why should you have to moderate? You can't sit in front of your PC for 24
      >hours a day. Anyway, I think we should all stay where we are. I will
      >subscribe to this list to be sure to catch any info that I don't on the
      >other. I just don't like fragmenting this group. I like 90% of the people
      >and I want us to stay together. Running to another list is NOT the answer.
      Dye: I appreciate your input. But there are two types of moderation...
      1. I approve every email sent on the list
      2. I only approve subscriptions.

      The latter is the one I chose. This allows me to disallow/remove irritants like
      Roxanne. I've been in computers for 27 years; I'm no dummy either.
      I just think it's irresponsible to leave this list in this unmoderated
      state, given
      its direction: It's turned into a cesspool of cussing, and newbies that
      are unsophisticated just don't know what to do, except to unsubscribe.

      I've been following the length of the subscription list: it's been shrinking.
      So, do you really expect that people will put up with this cussing for long?

      No. I disagree with you on the solution. Yep, people *are* lazy, and don't read
      the instructions. Nope, they shouldn't have to. Yep *some* people don't care.
      BUT, *SOME* are offended (witness the desubscription process: the list
      *is* shrinking)

      So, if you're all for 5 or 10 people, and Roxanne cussing at them as your idea
      of a list, then stay on, and enjoy!
      -ron
    • coexusa
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 4, 1999
        Ron,

        Dye Hawley here. I subscribed to your new list. However, I still feel that
        people can filter out the bad ones on the other list. It is really NOT that
        hard. I have been in computers for over 23 years and I can assure you that
        people are either: 1) Too lazy to read the HELP section on their browser
        2.) Don't care 3.) Enjoy the profanity and find it exciting.

        Why should you have to moderate? You can't sit in front of your PC for 24
        hours a day. Anyway, I think we should all stay where we are. I will
        subscribe to this list to be sure to catch any info that I don't on the
        other. I just don't like fragmenting this group. I like 90% of the people
        and I want us to stay together. Running to another list is NOT the answer.

        Respectfully,

        Dye Hawley