NEMS News #229 - June 30, 2007

  • uridfm
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2007
      New England Music Scrapbook News
      Alan Lewis, Editor

      Our Corner of the Rock 'n' Roll Life

      June 30, 2007
      Issue 2007:229

      To SUBSCRIBE to this newsletter:
      http://www.geocities.com/nemsnewz/subscribe.htm

      E-MAIL via:
      http://www.geocities.com/nemsbook/fred.htm
      (Please do NOT click the Reply button.)

      NEWSLETTER's Yahoo Groups Home Page:

      General CONTACT Information:
      http://www.geocities.com/uridfm/contact.htm

      We've got Thrills, chills, Dirty Water
      What more do you need?
      When the big beat hits ya
      Comin' from your transistor
      Like the T at full speed
      When the big beat hits ya...

      -- "Boston Lullaby," Dudick/Naihersey.
      Copyright c. 1980 by Camaraderie Music, BMI.
      All rights reserved. Used with permission.

      . . . . .

      I HAD ALREADY SENT THIS ISSUE. After clicking the "Send" button,
      though, it is necessary for a moderator to approve the message. Can
      you imagine a system so stupid where a moderator has to approve the
      group OWNER's messages? Anyway, I had some second thoughts after
      clicking "Send." I went back and added a short paragraph to the
      Weisstronauts feature and toned down what I wrote about the Boston
      Globe "Labyrinth" review. Then technology on some level turned this
      effort into one gigantic nightmare. No matter how hard I tried, no
      matter how many different things I tried, and no matter how long I
      waited, I could not save a copy of this issue anywhere in Yahoo: not
      in Yahoo Mail, Geocities, or Yahoo Groups.

      I had to start over and lost all my work (all my revisions, that is).

      So this was re-rewritten quite hastily because I am now seriously and
      majorly out of time. I hope this came out okay, I think it may have
      come out okay, but I really don't know.

      At this point, though, I've GOT to get this thing sent.

      Here goes...

      FOR ME, THIS WEEK has been a special treat. First, I thought our
      chance to connect with

      EILEEN ROSE

      was shot. So I was surprised and very happy on Wednesday to be
      sending out an article, previewing her concert Thursday night at Toad.
      If you caught that show, I would love to hear what you think.

      Then, Pete Weiss of

      THE WEISSTRONAUTS

      had told me he was in the middle of a busy spell, and I was fully
      prepared for our exchange to be of the mini-interview variety. It was
      quite unexpected that I got so much great material from him. He was
      very generous with his time, and I am grateful.

      For the next little while, I would like to post a feature article here
      every two or three weeks. So to send out two features in just three
      days has been an amazing experience.

      Thanks to Eileen Rose and Pete Weiss for making it happen.

      JOHNNY MEMPHIS
      No Longer Out There

      WRSI-FM host and music director

      JOHNNY MEMPHIS

      made his final broadcast yesterday afternoon on the Northampton,
      Massachusetts radio station. People don't get a lot more legendary
      than Johnny Memphis, with his never-say-die enthusiasm.

      This is a phenomenal loss, and we are all going to miss him like
      crazy.

      The WRSI announcement said nothing about what he is going to do
      from here. Retire? Shift to another station? We don't know. But we
      do wish him all the luck in the world.

      If you know what is to become of Johnny Memphis and you would be
      willing to share your information, please e-mail us by way of the
      following Web page:

      http://www.geocities.com/nemsbook/fred.htm

      ZOE DARROW
      AND THE FIDDLEHEADS

      Zoe Darrow's Ready To Kick Up Her Heels,
      How About You?

      [Actually, I had never given any thought to kicking up Zoe Darrow's
      heels. - Ed.]

      Sheryl Hunter
      Sounds Local
      The Recorder
      Greenfield, Massachusetts
      Thursday, June 28, 2007
      Arts and Entertainment Pullout Section
      Pages 3-4

      Since Sheryl Hunter sticks pretty tight to local music in her
      weekly Greenfield Recorder "Sounds Local" column, she covers a
      terrific amount of stylistic ground. Not long ago, she wrote a
      knowing piece about Dinosaur Jr., and this week's column is about

      ZOE DARROW AND THE FIDDLEHEADS.

      THAT is range, let me tell you. If, instead, her topics gathered
      around a home base of, say, singer-songwriters or alt-country bands,
      her column would be much more narrowly focused. But concentrating, as
      she does, on the wide-ranging Pioneer Valley music scene, Sheryl gets
      into nearly every corner of popular misic.

      To catch up with the young fiddling sensation (and to catch up
      with our friend Sheryl), get looking for her column (still hardcopy
      only, as far as I know) in the Arts and Entertainment section of
      Thursday's Recorder out of Greenfield, Massachusetts.

      Not incidentally, Sheryl also has a separate feature about the
      Amherst, Massachusetts roots band,

      AMITY FRONT.

      EILEEN ROSE

      Was I ever surprised to start the week with a completed

      EILEEN ROSE

      interview. I had been certain we had missed out on her as a current
      newsletter topic.

      Two things come to mind worth adding to the article I sent on
      Wednesday. First and most importantly, let's get straight to the
      trivia. Do you recall the name of the 1990s Eileen Rose band that
      competed in the WBCN Rock 'n' Roll Rumble?

      I had actually forgotten, 'til she reminded me, that Rose was even in
      the Rumble. So of course I did not recall the name of her band. I
      then searched the Web on this question and found her group listed, of
      all places, in a back issue of this very newsletter. It seems that
      Eileen Rose was a first-round Rumble winner with her 1990s Boston band

      DAISY CHAIN.

      Going entirely on memory, I would never have gotten it.

      The second thing is a prediction. I don't claim to know much about
      the future, and normally I avoid any forecasting. I will say what
      COULD happen or what OUGHT to happen, but generally I steer clear of
      saying what I think WILL happen. But I do predict that once her
      latest album is out - it is titled "Come the Storm" - many Eileen Rose
      fans will be obsessing over it. It is that kind of recording. A lot
      of fans will find that "Come the Storm" speaks individually to their
      own lives, and they are going to take the record totally personally.
      It will be a mass culture phenomenon only in the sense of being a
      shared experience. Otherwise, this will be a one-on-one connection
      between the artist and the individual listener.

      Eileen Rose has done her job, pulling together a great album. "Come
      the Storm" is very likely to make my 2007 Top 10. Now what she needs
      are the two things everyone else needs: promotion and distribution.
      If she gets those, she is likely to do very well, indeed, with "Come
      the Storm."

      DETROIT COBRAS

      The Accidental Diva:
      Queen of Cobras Follows
      Unlikely Career Path

      Dave Madeloni
      Brattleboro Reformer
      Thursday, June 28, 2007
      Ovation! Pullout Section
      Page 12

      Do the

      DETROIT COBRAS

      in any way qualify in the area of our local music? Well, my mother
      grew up in Detroit. She was a Detroit Campfire Girl. And she has got
      lots of family there still. So, it's local for me.

      You may have seen this group's name this week in this newsletter.
      Eileen Rose mentioned the Detroit Cobras so often in our interview
      that I am sure, without checking, that at least a couple references
      made it into the final article.

      The Detroit Cobras sounds like an act worth knowing about, though I
      have never actually heard this outfit. It is the topic of this week's
      column by our friend Dave Madeloni. Give it 'til the end of the day
      and you can probably check out his column online at

      http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.ListAll&friendID=45781020

      Do the Detroit Breakdown
      Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
      Motor City shakedown
      Yeah, yeah, yeah

      and then check out Dave's column.

      THE WEISSTRONAUTS
      Lounging at the Abbey and
      Hopping at Toad

      By Alan Lewis
      New England Music Scrapbook Newsletter
      June 30, 2007
      Issue 229

      "If there's such a thing as a forward-thinking surf band,
      Boston's The Weisstronauts are it." This quote from the Nashville
      Scene's Jack Silverman currently adorns The Weisstronauts home page.
      Darien Brahms, a personal favorite rocker out of Portland, Maine, has
      been known to call her own music "retro-progressive," so maybe there
      is sense to this "forward-thinking surf" thing.

      The Weisstronauts' latest CD, "Featuring 'Perky,'" is a real
      delight, featuring an authentic mid-1960s guitar sound and just enough
      psychedelia and later grooves to keep listeners on their toes. Though
      the band has a kind of instrumental rock-roots style, after repeated
      listenings to "Perky" we find ourselves edging away from the word,
      "surf." So we asked Pete Weiss about The Weisstronauts' listening and
      playing backgrounds outside the surf zone.

      "We very often get pigeonholed as a 'surf' band," he said. "I
      think it's an easy label because we play generally clean,
      non-dissonent electric guitar melodies and harmonies. But the 'surf'
      label is incomplete. I think it's more accurate to say that we blend
      genres such as western swing, psychedelic, jazz/lounge, garage rock,
      punk and even electronica. A few people have coined it 'spy music,'
      which I kind of like as a catch-all name."

      The Weisstronauts do invest West Coast rock guitar with a pinch
      of psychedelic garage-punk energy while adding certain modern touches.

      The first half-dozen tracks of "Perky" are a good introduction to
      the album's variety, featuring, for instance, several 60s psychedelic
      passages. "Berlining," the second cut, at one point has a sound like
      an electronic instrument imitating a slide whistle, while elsewhere
      the track features one of the disc's noisier, yet more interesting
      stretches. "Berlining" is followed by the oddly-named "Creosote,"
      which is instrumental soft-rock at its pastoral best. Next,
      "Fibonacci" could be someone's idea of some surf-rock piece off the
      "Hair" soundtrack, while "I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself"
      sounds most familiar - which it ought to do, having been written by
      one of the biggest ever rock-era hit-making teams, Burt Bacharach and
      Hal David. Ending the opening run of six is the perky, catchy,
      mainstream rock of the title track.

      And there's country grit. On "Perky," the cut, "Odysseus Goes to
      America," got us imagining The Ventures backing Johnny Cash, while
      "Uncle Turtle/Johnny Drama" gave us a double shot of rockabilly rhythms.

      I published three "Best of 2006" lists at year's end, each aimed
      at a somewhat different audience, geographically. "Featuring Perky"
      made all three lists. This is a really fine album (that benefits from
      cranking the volume).

      Weiss seems to like to be part of several acts at once. When
      asked why it would not be better to concentrate on just one band, he
      answered, "Variety is the spice life, right? I relish the chance to
      musically collaborate with a variety of different people. Bouncing a
      musical idea off of one person can yield completely different results
      from bouncing it off another."

      This Weisstronauts crew now has a slew of new tunes and another
      CD in the works. "For the new album, we've reached out a bit further.
      There is a dramatic George Hall composition called 'Seven X's' that
      sounds sort of Eastern European and Javanese at the same time. Kenny
      Lafler wrote a lilting bossa nova tune called 'Caixa Dos Moluscos'
      (which is Portuguese for 'The Clam Box.') And one of our drummers,
      Jeff Norcross (also an accomplished guitarist/bassist) wrote an
      infectious 60s-style party anthem somewhat reminiscent of the old
      song, 'Cool Jerk.' I think it qualifies as our first 'party tune.'

      "Meanwhile, I wrote a few new songs, one of which is kind of a
      blues filtered through a truckin' piano beat; hard to describe, but my
      point is that none of these new songs I've just mentioned would be
      confused with what is traditionally called 'surf music.'

      "That said, there are at least two new songs that are pure surf;
      they're sort of companion pieces called 'Sir Fee' and 'Sir Wacky.'

      "We would love to get this new album done and released by this
      fall, which would be about two years after 'Perky' was completed and
      pressed," he said, adding that the record is "tentatively called
      'Weisstronauts IV' (as in the number 4)."

      We wondered whether work on the new disc may represent a
      quickening pace of writing and recording activity among the Weisstronauts.

      "[T]he pace of writing and recording this new album has been
      furious," said Weiss. "The band concentrated on playing live in
      2005-06 and we really only got down to the task of writing new
      material this past winter. I think we kind of panicked, in a way ...
      realizing we had gone about 18 months without writing a single new song!

      "Suddenly every member of the Weisstronauts started writing songs
      independently and presenting demos to the other members. Also, some
      songs were written collaboratively by the whole band. After just a
      few weeks of this mad productivity, we had assembled a group of nearly
      twenty songs to work with."

      In a recent interview, David Minehan said he thought his band,
      The Neighborhoods, could manage to fill engagements anywhere on the
      East Coast reasonably easily.

      "That's cool and not surprising," said Weiss. "The Neighborhoods
      have a bit more history and drawing power than the 'Nauts, so I'm sure
      they could easily make the numbers work."

      Asked what The Weisstronauts might be able to do, touring-wise,
      he explained, "I'm not sure we are in a spot right now where we could
      pull off, say, a two-month tour. Everyone in the band has a day job
      and most of the members have kids. So, while it would be awesome and
      great fun to be able to do that, I think for the time being we'll
      concentrate on 10-day tours at the longest.

      "Of course, money talks. If anyone offered the kind of funding
      that would allow it to happen, anything's possible!"

      Do we have any tour promoters out there?

      As for day jobs, when he isn't rocking out at clubs, Weiss is
      kept quite busy at his southern Vermont recording facility, Verdant
      Studio.

      While home recording has grown cheaper and easier, we notice that
      smaller-size professional studios, often situated out from cities
      beyond the suburbs, these days are typically really busy. What do
      they offer that an artist cannot get just as well at home?

      "The main thing is an experienced pro engineer and/or producer.
      As inexpensive as it can be to record at home, there has never been a
      substitute for having a qualified person taking care of the technical
      end of things. To try to be a musician and technician simultaneously
      is usually an exercise in driving oneself crazy. It's two different
      sides of the brain.

      "Studios also, of course, offer amenities that not everyone has
      in their home, such as acoustically designed rooms, a comprehensive
      microphone collection, higher-end gear and instruments in general.
      These things add up to making it easier for the artist to, for
      example, get drum sounds that don't sound like they were recorded in
      someone's boxy spare bedroom."

      Vermont's many coffeehouses and small-ish listening rooms are
      fertile ground for folk bookings but are not necessarily equally
      attractive to everyone else. Many artists and bands are routed around
      the state instead of through it, maybe zipping into Burlington -
      Vermont's principal city - for an isolated show. We were curious as
      to whether any similar dynamic is at play with respect to recording
      studios. Weiss said he has noticed this in regards to concert
      bookings. As for the recording end of the business, "[B]ecause
      Verdant Studio is so close to Boston, Northampton, and even New York
      City, I haven't seen it so much with artists from these areas wanting
      to come up to work on music. [On the contrary,] because we have
      overnight lodging, artists/bands have been overwhelmingly eager to get
      out of the city into a more rural, less distracting work environment
      for several days at a time."

      Asked for an anecdote about one of those strange occurrences that
      come up, sooner or later, in a career, Weiss recalled, "In Norfolk,
      Virginia - I believe during our 2003 tour - we were playing a song
      which normally features 'round-robin' guitar solos. We were a bit
      road-punchy and thought it would be HILARIOUS to pass around a whoopie
      cushion, so that each of us could 'solo' with that instead of on
      guitar. Why we had a whoopie cushion with us still remains a mystery.
      But, it was one of those mega-silly moments that was almost
      unbearably funny to us - on stage, doubled over with laughter. And
      guess what? Through tear-blurred eyes, I looked out to the audience
      (it was a pretty decent crowd at this place called Cora's...) and
      absolutely no one in the crowd thought it was funny. Crossed arms, no
      smiles. I mean ... come on folks! Lighten up! How many times do you
      get to see a band trade off whoopie cushion solos?"

      At their next shows, The Weisstronauts will be playing for a
      Boston-area home audience, including an appearance at Toad and a
      residency at the Abbey Lounge through July.

      Speaking of Toad, Weiss said, "We love playing there. There's
      something kind of perfect about Toad's size and layout. The stage is
      tiny, especially for us being a five-piece and using a lot of floor
      pedals, so that's a challenge, but the vibe is so friendly and
      supportive there that the challenge is a happy one. And the sound is
      usually great. Plus, I've never met a bartender there that I didn't
      like."

      Do these Weisstronauts have anything out of the ordinary planned
      for the Toad audience? "[L]ive, over the past two years, we've
      basically played songs from a pool of about 40 or 50, which allows for
      a decent amount of variety. But this Toad show will be one of the
      first in which we debut a good amount of new material - songs from the
      upcoming album - in a live setting. So that's pretty exciting for us
      and hopefully for our fans who have been itching to hear some new stuff!"

      Everybody knows that we are going to wind up this article by
      repeating that The Weisstronauts have a new album in the "Pipeline."
      Having gotten it out of our system, we will just add that...

      For the latest tunes by these trad-rock innovators, those in the
      know will leap-frog over to Toad.

      Who: The Weisstronauts
      Where: Toad, Cambridge, Massachusetts
      When: Saturday, July 7
      For more information: http://www.toadcambridge.com/,
      http://www.weisstronauts.com/

      * THE WEISSTRONAUTS also have a Boston-area July residency at the
      Abbey Lounge every Thursday.

      = = = = =

      BRIEF ITEMS :

      BORIS McCUTCHEON

      "A new album entitled 'Bad Road, Good People' will be recorded in
      August...."

      -- Boris McCutcheon, "A Message From Boris,"
      June 25, 2007

      We don't get a lot of news from

      BORIS McCUTCHEON,

      so this is definitely a special occasion. In addition to announcing
      the forthcomingness of his forthcoming album, he slipped in details of
      upcoming shows on a swing through the Northeast.

      Narrows CFA, Fall River (MA?), July 12
      Middle Earth, Bradford VT, July 14
      Woods Hole (MA) Community Hall, July 15

      I would not be surprised if other shows get booked, but this is what
      we have at the moment.

      DROPKICK MURPHYS

      "Looks like we managed to finish up working on our new album before we
      jumped on the plane for Germany. Tentatively titled 'The Meanest of
      Times' we're getting everything ready for a September release-date, so
      please stay tuned for more news and details on that in the coming weeks."

      -- Dropkick Murphys, "DKM European Tour Under Way,"
      June 27, 2007

      BECKY CHACE

      "New CD Coming Out

      "In just a few short weeks we will have a new CD out called 'The Best
      of Me.' It spans our entire career together from 1998 through 2007,
      15 classics and 5 previously unreleased songs too! It will be
      available at all shows and through CDbaby.com. We'll let you know as
      soon as it arrives."

      -- "News from Becky Chace," June 25, 2007

      JO DEE MESSINA
      Otherwise Engaged

      COUNTRY GORDY SENT US the following Jo Dee Messina news:

      Jo Dee Messina Is Engaged

      <<<< from today's Dick Schuey column >>>>

      June 25, 2007 — Jo Dee Messina has announced her engagement to
      Albuquerque, N. Mex., native Chris Deffenbaugh.

      "This is such a happy time for us," said the couple in a joint
      statement. "And we are so appreciative for each other and for our
      families, friends and fans that have sent us cards and e-mails. Thank
      you, from the bottom of our hearts."

      Jo Dee, originally from the Boston area, has sold more than 5 million
      albums, including three releases that reached No. 1 on the charts:
      Burn, Greatest Hits and Delicious Surprise. She's had nine No. 1
      singles and is currently putting the finishing touches on a new album
      slated for release this fall.

      Chris owns and operates Deffenblaster Enterprises, which builds custom
      road cases and audio equipment.

      The couple is planning a fall wedding.

      GRACE POTTER AND THE NOCTURNALS

      "Lot's of new news and tour dates have popped up since we last checked
      in. Three songs from our upcoming record 'This Is Somewhere' are out
      on ITUNES, and our first single, 'Ah Mary,' was the #1 most added song
      by Triple A Radio during the month of May. We've also been scheduled
      to make our TV debut on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno on August 2nd,
      followed by The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson on August 3rd, just
      in time for our official album release on the 7th."

      -- Grace Potter and the Nocturnals, "New Album,
      TV Appearances, and Summer Tour Info,"
      June 27, 2007

      PLOUGH & STARS
      Cambridge, Massachusetts

      In an announcement of Thursday's show at Cambridge's

      PLOUGH & STARS

      Pete Weiss of the Weisstronauts added this about the venue:

      "Please note... If you have not been to the new, revitalized Plough
      yet, it's dang nice, with awesome food and an upgraded sound system to
      boot..."

      -- Pete Weiss, "Weisstronauts at The Plough
      Thursday," June 23, 2007

      YOUNG AT HEART CHORUS
      The Film

      THE FOLLOWING ITEM, from the Young at Heart Chorus June newsletter,
      was relayed by the group's good friends, The Drunk at Heart Stuntmen.
      (heh heh)

      "Young @ Heart Chorus News
      June 2007

      "The Walker George Film 'Young@Heart' won two Rose D'Or awards ... the
      Best Art Documentary and the Best of 2007 Special Prize...."
      "Stuntman Steve and Freddy Freedom both appear in this wonderful
      documentary."

      WBOS-FM SERIES OF FREE CONCERTS

      "Mark your calendars: THE DENNIS BRENNAN BAND and BRANDI CARLISLE
      kick off WBOS FM's Concerts at Copley series on Thursday, July 12 at
      5:30 PM. Be there in the Square (Copley T) in beautiful downtown Boston.

      "It's free!"

      -- Dennis Brennan, "Brennan's Rear End in View,"
      June 25, 2007

      WBOS's series of free concerts looks to be among the best of mid-year
      2007. Thanks to Dennis Brennan for a reminder of his part in the show
      that gets the whole series started.

      PATTI CASEY
      Mailing List

      The operation which manages Patti Casey's mailing list was down when
      we sent our last regular issue and for at least two hours longer than
      they anticipated.

      Against the possibility that some of our readers tried to sign up for
      Patti's mailing list and got understandably frustrated, as I did,
      we'll just say again that Patti has a new or renewed mailing list and
      anyone who would like to get on it should go to

      http://www.patticasey.com,

      look in the upper right corner, and then sign right up.

      Patti Casey is a Vermont veteran who has gotten better and more
      interesting, while altogether too many artists have gone in quite the
      opposite direction.

      BEVERLY SILLS

      We are so sorry to hear that opera singer

      BEVERLY SILLS

      evidently is having a tough fight with cancer. I remember her as a
      very popular talk-show guest, and she seemed to be a really
      down-to-earth sort of person. We certainly wish her luck.

      Here is the Boston Globe's posting of the Associated Press article:

      Sills is 'gravely ill,' said to be in hospital
      By Verena Dobnik, Associated Press | June 29, 2007

      http://www.boston.com/news/globe/living/articles/2007/06/29/sills_is_gravely_ill_said_to_be_in_hospital/

      end BRIEF ITEMS

      = = = = =

      THREE DAY THRESHOLD
      "Against the Grain"

      The new

      THREE DAY THRESHOLD

      album, "Against the Grain," is worth mentioning again, though this is
      coming up very soon after we first noted the record last Saturday. If
      one could triangulate the current 3DT sound, the corners might be
      something like 1) a punk-altered stringband; 2) a terrific, though
      quite unusual Maine original-music band, The Coming Grass; and 3) the
      Dropkick Murphys. This may be eccentric stuff; but there is a
      definite audience for it, and count me as a member.

      I didn't start playing "Against the Grain" until right after I THOUGHT
      I had finished last Saturday's newsletter issue. So what I wrote was
      really hasty. And though what I DID write was quite positive, if
      anything I may have sold the record a little short. "Against the
      Grain" is solid throughout, has terrific variety, still stands
      together quite nicely, and comes to a very strong ending. These
      things, combined, raise "Against the Grain" to heights that not a lot
      of albums come close to reaching.

      We definitely need to give "Against the Grain" more spins. But we can
      say already that the members of Three Day Threshold clearly have
      advanced their cause. If they can get out to do a lot of shows, they
      should be having serious fun in 2007.

      ROCK NOTES
      Looking for the buzz? Follow Protokoll.
      It's been a banner year for this Boston band

      By Jonathan Perry, Globe Correspondent | June 29, 2007

      http://www.boston.com/news/globe/living/articles/2007/06/29/looking_for_the_buzz_follow_protokoll/?page=full

      It is terrific and more than a little amazing to find a "Rock Notes"
      column once again in the Boston Globe.

      THE STATIC AGE

      The Static Age had several items of significant size in the band's
      latest mailing. The following could be of greatest interest to most
      of our readers:

      "First and foremost, we have an introduction to make: Bridget Nault
      will be joining us on keyboards this summer. We'll be touring as a
      five piece (with Eric Carlson on guitar as well). Bring earplugs.
      [This tour is with New York's Theo and the Skyscrapers. - Ed.]

      . . . . .

      "In other news, a script has been developed based on three songs from
      the album 'Blank Screens' - 'Lights in the Attic,' 'Blank Screens,'
      and 'The Bluebird Room' - and The Static Age has been working with
      director Nick Paley and animator Vanessa Wood (among others) over the
      past month on developing a series of short silent films for release
      this fall. The production is under way, and the three short
      video-films will be released in sequential order this Fall.

      "The Static Age will also be recording again this Fall, and has plans
      regarding release of future material. We'll post more on that soon."

      -- "The Static Age Summer US Tour 2007," June 25,
      2007

      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE JUNE 1, 2007

      PASSIM HONORS BOB AND RAE ANNE DONLIN - "ONE MORE
      SONG" FESTIVAL JULY 1 - 3

      [For some reason, holding up an index finger to indicate to a
      performer that there was time for only one more song became a
      trademark for Bob Donlin. I imagine this is the origin of the name of
      this festival, "One More Song."]

      Where: Club Passim
      47 Palmer St.
      Cambridge, MA 02138
      617.492.5300

      Tickets: $ 25.00 for entire festival and can be
      purchased in advance at http://www.passimcenter.org or
      by calling 617. 492.7679 proceeds will benefit
      Passim's non-profit educational programs.

      TUESDAY JULY 3

      7:00 Vance Gilbert
      Maria Sangiolo
      Greg Greenway
      Kate McDonnell

      8:00 Harvey Reid
      8:30 Bob Franke
      9:00 Chris Smither
      9:30 Passim All-stars

      Bill Staines, Guy Van Duser, Billy Novick, Jeannie
      Stahl & Mason Daring

      [I remember once when a person opening a Mason Daring and Jeannie
      Stahl show here in Brattleboro, Vermont was tremendously surprised at
      what stars they were in this town. We Brattleborians were definitely
      high on Mason and Jeannie.]

      MONDAY JULY 2

      7:00 Kim Wallach
      7:30 Ellen Cross
      8:00 Paul Geremia
      8:30 Jack Hardy
      9:00 Cormac McCarthy
      9:30 David Massengill
      10:00 Bill Morrissey
      10:30 Buskin & Batteau

      SUNDAY JULY 1

      6:00 Scott Alarik
      6:30 How to Change a Flat Tire
      7:00 Willie Nininger
      7:30 Dennis Pearne
      8:00 Brooks Williams
      8:30 Taylor Armerding
      9:00 Geoff Bartley
      9:30 Les Sampou
      10:00 Dave Crossland
      Jon Svetkey
      Brian Doser
      Barbara Kessler

      (please note-schedule subject to change.)

      * I DEFINITELY DID NOT FOLLOW all the ways artists were grouped
      together. For clarification of the particulars, it would probably be
      best to visit the Club Passim website.

      LABYRINTH

      Henson's boundless imagination fails to energize 'Labyrinth'
      By Wesley Morris, Globe Staff | June 29, 2007

      http://www.boston.com/ae/movies/articles/2007/06/29/hensons_boundless_imagination_fails_to_energize_labyrinth/

      SAD TO SAY, a case could be made that the main thing wrong, in this
      instance, with the film, "Labyrinth," is the guy watching it. If you
      can't see this from Wesley Morris' opening few sentences, I will be
      tremendously surprised. This Boston Globe piece is one seriously
      ill-advised notice.

      David Bowie's "Underground" on the "Labyrinth" soundtrack is one of
      the single greatest works in one of the most storied careers in rock
      history. Clearly Bowie GOT a lot from this story and from the filmmaker.

      We received an e-mail, in the past month or so, from a
      dyed-in-the-wool David Bowie fan who told us he hadn't been a Bowie
      fan AT ALL until he saw "Labyrinth."

      If you are a David Bowie fan or even could be and you haven't seen and
      heard "Labyrinth" yet, you owe it to yourself to give it a careful
      look and listen really soon. Chances are about one hundred percent
      that you will listen to this film a lot more expertly than the Boston
      Globe critic did and you will understand it a whole lot better, too.

      "Labyrinth" is a fantastic film in more ways than one. Nothing is for
      everyone. But everyone who reads this newsletter ought to at least
      give "Labyrinth" a try.

      DOO WOP
      A Forthcoming Box Set

      A LOT OF THE CUTS on the forthcoming Doo Wop box set are doo wop
      recordings by no stretch of the imagination. So I expect this will be
      a controversial set. Yet there is real sense anyway to a lot of these
      selections. Many, many rock 'n' roll artists who performed through
      most of their careers in some style other than doo wop nonetheless
      sang doo wop in their early days or otherwise had it in their backgrounds.

      By no means was every song Dion ever sang a real challenge for him.
      But there are points in his recording career and, no doubt, in his
      concert career where Dion sang rock 'n' roll as well as anyone ever did.

      Once Charlie Rose interviewed Dion on "CBS News Nightwatch." Dion
      came on the show without a band and with no instrument. Here and
      there throughout the interview, Dion illustrated musical points by
      singing with no accompaniment other than sometimes slapping his hands
      against his legs. And it was some of the best rock singing I have
      ever heard. Ever, ever, ever, ever, ever. Dion was extraordinary.
      It was his doo wop background stepping to the front. And Dion that
      night was absolutely phenomenal.

      It is worth remembering that, well before his year or so with The
      Belmonts, Dion was singing Hank Williams material: some of the
      greatest American songs ever written, but maybe just a little bit of a
      strange fit with Dion.

      Later, we would be hearing a real mix of influences and experiences in
      Dion's music, with doo wop prominently among them.

      Similarly, some of the artists on this record set could hardly be said
      to be singing doo wop. But quite likely singing doo wop was how they
      learned to do what they did.

      I would have to actually hear this box set. Many of the titles and
      even a good number of the artists are unfamiliar to me. But based on
      what I DO know, I would not be too quick to fault the producers for
      their selections. This looks to be a set well worth having. Here is
      most of the press release we received:

      For Immediate Release
      June 28, 2007

      ENDURING POPULARITY AND INFLUENCE OF
      DOO-WOP
      CAPTURED IN
      SOUND OF THE CITY
      3-CD BOX SET
      FEATURES
      FIRST RECORDING EVER BY
      DION
      (PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED)

      In Stores July 24

      Fairfax, VA --- The distinctive sound of doo-wop has never faded away
      from American pop culture. More than 50 years after it was first heard
      on city street corners throughout the country, doo-wop continues to be
      as popular and influential as ever and is commemorated in Sound of the
      City, a new 3-CD box set (in stores July 24). The a capella harmonies
      and songs of teenage love have now made it from the streetcorner to
      Broadway, where the Tony Award-winning musical "Jersey Boys" (based on
      Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons) is playing to sold out crowds. The
      doo-wop influence can also be heard in the boy bands that dominated
      the pop charts in the 90s, in the big screen blockbuster "The Lion
      King" and in surprisingly popular PBS specials.

      Sound of the City is the untold story of what happened to doo-wop in
      the pre-British Invasion years. It began as an R&B art form, but by
      the mid-1950s, just as it was waning in popularity within the African
      American community, it was largely taken up by Italian American groups
      in the greater New York area. As Dion says in his liner notes for
      Sound of the City, "It was Black music filtered through an Italian
      neighborhood, so it just naturally came out with a different
      attitude." There were the original Jersey boys…the Four Seasons; in
      the Bronx there were Dion & the Belmonts; in Brooklyn there were the
      Tokens; and in Staten Island there were the Elegants. And there were
      so many more.

      Sound of the City takes listeners on a journey back to Brooklyn, circa
      1959, where three, sometimes four guys are found huddled together in a
      lunch room, or on a street corner, or even in a stairwell. One starts
      singing, "Sixteen candles make a beautiful sight…" The others join in,
      harmonizing, "shoo-doo-doo-doo-wop." That was the simplicity of
      doo-wop. Street corner music, made by guys trying to impress the
      local girls. Guys who felt like they had to act tough, but found a
      release in sweet, sentimental songs. Doo-wop didn't need a forty-piece
      orchestra or written charts. It just needed feeling and the innate
      gift of harmony.

      The box set features many all-time doo wop classics: "Sherry" and "Big
      Girls Don't Cry" by the 4 Seasons; "Little Star" by the Elegants, "The
      Lion Sleeps Tonight" by the Tokens, "Barbara Ann" by the Regents, "I
      Wonder Why," "Runaround Sue," and "Teenager in Love" by Dion;
      "Hushabye" by the Mystics; "Sorry (I Ran All the Way Home)" by the
      Impalas; "Remember Then" by the Earls; "16 Candles" by the Crests; and
      "There's a Moon out Tonight" by the Capris. In all, 38 of the tracks
      were bona fide hit singles. It also features local favorites, and
      collectors' items by the Neons, the Echoes, and The Four Evers, whose
      "Please Be Mine" features uncredited vocals by Frankie Valli who
      stepped in when one of singers was sick during the recording session.
      But the most important tracks of all are the two songs by an early
      incarnation of the 4 Seasons and Dion's very first recording, made in
      1956 on a home tape machine with two guys he invited over from the
      local pool hall. "Rooftop Serenade" has never before available
      anywhere prior to this.

      SOUND OF THE CITY

      TRACK LISTING

      DISC ONE:

      1. SHERRY – THE FOUR SEASONS
      2. LITTLE STAR – THE ELEGANTS
      3. THE LION SLEEPS TONIGHT (WIMOWEH) – THE TOKENS
      4. BARBARA ANN – THE REGENTS
      5. RIP VAN WINKLE – THE DEVOTIONS
      6. BIG GIRLS DON'T CRY – THE FOUR SEASONS
      7. HE'S IN TOWN – THE TOKENS
      8. RUNAROUND – THE REGENTS
      9. DING DONG – THE ECHOES
      10. FATAL CHARMS OF LOVE – THE FOUR CHEERS
      11. I'LL PRAY FOR YOU – THE DELL-SATINS
      12. ANGEL FACE – THE NEONS
      13. DEAR JOANNE – BRUCE BRUNO & GROUP
      14. DARLING CAN'T YOU TELL – THE CLUSTERS
      15. TEARS BRING HEARTACHES – THE STANDARDS
      16. CANADIAN SUNSET – THE IMPACTS
      17. ECHO – THE EMOTIONS
      18. PICTURE IN MY WALLET – DARRELL & THE OXFORDS
      19. UNCHAINED MELODY – VITO & THE SALUTATIONS

      DISC TWO:

      1. I WONDER WHY – DION & THE BELMONTS 2:20
      2. HUSHABYE – THE MYSTICS 2:31
      3. DENISE – RANDY & THE RAINBOWS 1:56
      4. SORRY (I RAN ALL THE WAY HOME) – THE IMPALAS 2:40
      5. YOU'RE THE APPLE OF MY EYE – THE FOUR LOVERS 2;11
      6. COME A LITTLE BIT CLOSER – JAY & THE AMERICANS 2:45
      7. TONITE, TONITE – THE MELLO KINGS 2:31
      8. IMAGINATION – THE QUOTATIONS 2:12
      9. A TEENAGER IN LOVE – DION & THE BELMONTS 2:36
      10. BE MY GIRL (PLEASE BE MINE) – THE FOUR EVERS 2:34
      11. I REMEMBER – THE FIVE DISCS 2:00
      12. SHE CRIED – JAY & THE AMERICANS 2:38
      13. RUNAROUND SUE – DION 2:41
      14. THE GIRL IN MY DREAMS – THE FOUR LOVERS 2:36
      15. PIZZA PIE – NORMAN FOX & THE ROB ROYS 2:17
      16. WAKE UP – THE ELEGANTS 2:30
      17. TEARDROPS FOLLOW ME – THE DEL-SATINS 2:05
      18. BELIEVE ME – THE ROYAL TEENS 2:30
      19. DONNA LEE – THE DEMILLES 1:57

      DISC THREE:

      1. ROOFTOP SERENADE – DION (previously unreleased)
      2. REMEMBER THEN – THE EARLS
      3. 16 CANDLES – THE CRESTS
      4. TELL ME WHY – THE BELMONTS
      5. THERE'S A MOON OUT TONIGHT – THE CAPRIS
      6. SHOUT! SHOUT! (KNOCK YOURSELF OUT) – ERNIE MARESCA
      7. HAVE YOU HEARD – THE DUPREES
      8. REMEMBER LAST SUMMER – THE FOUR WINDS
      9. ONCE IN A WHILE – THE CHIMES
      10. BABY BLUE – THE ECHOES
      11. THOSE OLDIES BUT GOODIES – NINO & THE EBB TIDES
      12. CONEY ISLAND BABY – THE EXCELLENTS
      13. UNBELIEVABLE – THE RUNAROUNDS
      14. PLEASE LOVE ME FOREVER – CATHY JEAN & THE ROOMMATES
      15. TILL THEN – THE CLASSICS
      16. BARBARA – THE TEMPTATIONS
      17. YOU – THE AQUATONES
      18. LIFE IS BUT A DREAM – THE EARLS
      19. MY OWN TRUE LOVE – THE DUPREES
      20. TEENAGE VOWS OF LOVE – THE DREAMERS
      21. LOOKING FOR AN ECHO – KENNY VANCE & THE PLANOTONES

      STAR TREK:
      THE ELEVENTH MOTION PICTURE

      I really loved the original

      STAR TREK

      TV series, and one of the stars of Star Trek: The Next Generation
      resides right here in this humble, little town.

      No doubt with these things in mind, one of my few kinsmen hereabouts
      sent the following:

      Got this from Sci Fi's weekly newsletter.
      /
      Trek/ Script Done, Shoots In Fall

      Roberto Orci, who with writing partner Alex Kurtzman is scripting the
      new /Star Trek/ movie, told SCI FI Wire that they have finished the
      script are in preproduction on the movie, which will go into
      production in November under director J.J. Abrams. "We're still
      casting," Orci said while promoting his next film, Michael Bay's
      /Transformers/. "We're in preproduction, actually, this month."

      While revealing little about the 11th /Trek/ film's top-secret plot,
      Orci offered a few tidbits. "Kirk is in the movie," he said. "Some
      kind of Kirk. ... We literally haven't cast them yet. It's actually
      one of the challenges, and so we're hoping to have something by
      Comic-Con [in San Diego in July], but we'll see."

      Orci added that producers are wrestling with whom to cast. "That's
      one of the debates, you know?" he said. "Like, how much does a
      familiar face hurt or not?" As for rumors that Matt Damon is in line
      for Kirk or Adrien Brody for Spock, Orci would only smile. "I've read
      all those rumors, too."

      Is the /Trek/ movie being eyed as the kickoff of a possible TV series?
      "I'm sure CBS is thinking about that," he said. "That's not
      [something] we're thinking about. We're just thinking about the movie.
      Certainly, I don't know how they could not think about that."
      —*/Patrick Lee, News
      Editor/* <mailto:scifiwire@...>

      REST IN PEACE :

      Billie Beatty, guitarist in gospel quartets, 73
      By Hamil R. Harris, Washington Post | June 25, 2007

      http://www.boston.com/news/globe/obituaries/articles/2007/06/25/billie_beatty_guitarist_in_gospel_quartets_73/

      Hank Medress, 68, member of the Tokens
      By Ben Sisario, New York Times News Service | June 23, 2007

      http://www.boston.com/news/globe/obituaries/articles/2007/06/23/hank_medress_68_member_of_the_tokens/

      Paul Jordan, 91; booking agent, show-business entrepreneur
      By Amanda Bergeron, Globe Correspondent | June 23, 2007

      http://www.boston.com/news/globe/obituaries/articles/2007/06/23/paul_jordan_91_booking_agent_show_business_entrepreneur/

      Donna King Conkling, singer with the King Sisters; at 88
      By Jon Thurber, Los Angeles Times | June 23, 2007

      http://www.boston.com/news/globe/obituaries/articles/2007/06/23/donna_king_conkling_singer_with_the_king_sisters_at_88/

      E-MAIL US via:
      http://www.geocities.com/nemsbook/fred.htm

      Please do NOT click the Reply button. Clicking Reply sends your
      message to several different addresses but NOT to our main address.
      It's Yahoo Groups' system, not ours.

      . . . . .

      If you have friends who would be interested in any of the items in
      this issue, please forward this newsletter to them. Thanks!

      As a rule, we do not post SHOW LISTINGS. The reason is quite
      simple. Our readers are spread out all over the map. Though our name
      is the NEW ENGLAND Music Scrapbook, we have readers all across the
      southern tier of states - with large numbers in Florida generally, the
      Atlanta area, and Greater Los Angeles. Even within the Northeast, we
      have readers in each of the six New England states and many in New
      York and New Jersey. The great majority of show listings would be of
      no interest at all to most of our readers.

      We make exceptions when show listings are part of an item of more
      general interest. CD-release events are great examples. For us, the
      main point of an item of this sort is that an act has a new record.
      The show being announced is of secondary interest to us - if that - as
      far as the contents of our newsletter goes.

      We also make a few exceptions for shows in the immediate Boston
      area. Our single biggest concentration of readers, as far as we know,
      is in and around Boston. We understand from e-mails we receive that
      we are able to help turn out an audience to many entertainments in the
      Boston area. But even in the case of Boston shows, we make few
      exceptions.

      So, the general rule of thumb is that we don't post show
      listings. In the very few, truly exceptional instances where we do...

      ... Shows can be canceled, sold out, or even moved to another
      date or location. We recommend checking the Web, calling ahead or
      otherwise confirming details.

      Exceptionally long addresses may need to be pasted into the
      address field, which is probably toward the top of your browser
      screen. Some addresses are so extremely long that they may have to be
      pasted in two or more pieces.

      To SUBSCRIBE to this newsletter:
      http://www.geocities.com/nemsnewz/subscribe.htm

      E-MAIL via:
      http://www.geocities.com/nemsbook/fred.htm
      (Please do NOT click the Reply button.)

      NEWSLETTER's Yahoo Groups Home Page:

      General CONTACT Information:
      http://www.geocities.com/uridfm/contact.htm

      Issue 2007:229

      Published no less often than monthly.
      We're guessing eventually we'll settle
      into an every-other-week schedule.

      Copyright © 2007 by the New England Music Scrapbook. All rights reserved.

      : : :