How to search Quranic text using Urdu keyboard?

  • Syed Sami-uz-Zafar Naushahi
    Message 1 of 6 , May 12, 2006
      Assalam o Alaikum

      Recently I was visiting http://quran.minhaj.org/quran/?thm=thm6&lang=ur&contents=search and was surprised to know that on this page we can search the text of Quran using Urdu keyboard. I believe the creator of that page ( i.e. Abdul Sattar) is a member of this forum, so I decided to post question here, rather than posting to him privately. It might be a point of interest for other group members also.

      I basically have three questions:

      1. The text of Quran is originally stored in Arabic. How do you map Urdu keyboard in making the search query.
      2. The Arabic text have harakat (i.e. zabar, zair and paish etc) in it. How a simple word (without zabar, zair, paish) matches with an Arabic word (with zabar, zair, paish)?
      3. I searched for the word سمیع and it returned phrases like السَّمِيعُ, سَمِيعٌ, لَسَمِيعٌ and سَمِيعًا etc. How different forms of the word have been matched with a simple word?

      Salam

      Syed Sami uz Zafar Naushahi
    • baazauq
      Message 2 of 6 , May 16, 2006

        --- In urdu_computing@yahoogroups.com, "Syed Sami-uz-Zafar Naushahi" <samiuzzafar@...> wrote:

        > Assalam o Alaikum

        > I basically have three questions:
        >
        > 1. The text of Quran is originally stored in Arabic. How do you map Urdu
        > keyboard in making the search query.
        > 2. The Arabic text have harakat (i.e. zabar, zair and paish etc) in it. How
        > a simple word (without zabar, zair, paish) matches with an Arabic word (with
        > zabar, zair, paish)?
        > 3. I searched for the word سمیع and it returned phrases like
        > السÙ`َمِيعُ, سَمِيعٌ,
        > لَسَمِيعٌ and سَمِيعًا etc. How different forms of the word have been
        > matched with a simple word?
        >
        > Salam
        >
        > Syed Sami uz Zafar Naushahi

        Waalaikum Assalam Dear,

        I have also noticed. In fact I have been noticing this from 2-3 years.

        I have been in Saudi Arabia and frequently visiting Arabic(language) sites ...

        I personally think that this is the default Arabic Windows environment... i.e.,

        For finding a word (arabic/farsi/urdu)... the developers of the operating system did make some technical things so that a search always ignores "harakaat"

        check this with either MS-Office applications or even with Adobe Acrobat Reader (ver.6 above)

      • Syed Sami-uz-Zafar Naushahi
        Message 3 of 6 , May 18, 2006
          Dear baazauq

          Assalam o Alaikum

          You are right. I did some research about MS Word's methodology and it is very similar to what you are saying. I had asked this question to www.irfan-ul-quran.com people because they have offered this facility on their site. But perhaps they are too busy these days to answer.

          So I have come up with a workaround. I would save the original Arabic text in one column and the text without diacritic marks in the second column. Text without diacritic marks can easily be obtained by using the Replace All command of MS Word to remove the 6-7 types of diacritic marks.

          When a user would make a query, I'll search it in the column without diacritic marks, retrieve the verse numbers, and then retrieve the original text (with diacritic marks).

          Thank you for your help, as it gave me a new idea.

          Salam

          Sami

          On 5/17/06, baazauq <baazauq@...> wrote:

          --- In urdu_computing@yahoogroups.com, "Syed Sami-uz-Zafar Naushahi" <samiuzzafar@...> wrote:

          > Assalam o Alaikum

          > I basically have three questions:
          >
          > 1. The text of Quran is originally stored in Arabic. How do you map Urdu
          > keyboard in making the search query.
          > 2. The Arabic text have harakat (i.e . zabar, zair and paish etc) in it. How
          > a simple word (without zabar, zair, paish) matches with an Arabic word (with
          > zabar, zair, paish)?
          > 3. I searched for the word سمیع and it returned phrases like
          > الس�`َمِيعُ, سَمِيعٌ,
          > لَسَمِيعٌ and سَمِيعًا etc. How different forms of the word have been
          > matched with a simple word?
          >
          > Salam
          >
          > Syed Sami uz Zafar Naushahi

          Waalaikum Assalam Dear,

          I have also noticed. In fact I have been noticing this from 2-3 years.

          I have been in Saudi Arabia and frequently visiting Arabic(language) sites ...

          I personally think that this is the default Arabic Windows environment... i.e.,

          For finding a word (arabic/farsi/urdu)... the developers of the operating system did make some technical things so that a search always ignores "harakaat"

          check this with either MS-Office applications or even with Adobe Acrobat Reader (ver.6 above)

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        • AbdulSattarعبدالستار
          Message 4 of 6 , May 18, 2006
            Sami-uz-Zafar Naushahi,
            Assalaamo Alaikum,

            ... and you got the point. Saving data without erab in another column is better than to ignore erab during the qurey.

            Remember me in your duas.

            WasSalaam,
            Abdul Sattar Minhajian
            +92(300)7903199
            http://www.i4minhaj.com

            On 5/18/06, Syed Sami-uz-Zafar Naushahi < samiuzzafar@...> wrote:
            Dear baazauq

            Assalam o Alaikum

            You are right. I did some research about MS Word's methodology and it is very similar to what you are saying. I had asked this question to www.irfan-ul-quran.com people because they have offered this facility on their site. But perhaps they are too busy these days to answer.

            So I have come up with a workaround. I would save the original Arabic text in one column and the text without diacritic marks in the second column. Text without diacritic marks can easily be obtained by using the Replace All command of MS Word to remove the 6-7 types of diacritic marks.

            When a user would make a query, I'll search it in the column without diacritic marks, retrieve the verse numbers, and then retrieve the original text (with diacritic marks).

            Thank you for your help, as it gave me a new idea.

            Salam

            Sami

            On 5/17/06, baazauq <baazauq@...> wrote:

            --- In urdu_computing@yahoogroups.com, "Syed Sami-uz-Zafar Naushahi" <samiuzzafar@...> wrote:

            > Assalam o Alaikum

            > I basically have three questions:
            >
            > 1. The text of Quran is originally stored in Arabic. How do you map Urdu
            > keyboard in making the search query.
            > 2. The Arabic text have harakat (i.e. zabar, zair and paish etc) in it. How
            > a simple word (without zabar, zair, paish) matches with an Arabic word (with
            > zabar, zair, paish)?
            > 3. I searched for the word سمیع and it returned phrases like
            > الس�`َمِيعُ, سَمِيعٌ,
            > لَسَمِيعٌ and سَمِيعًا etc. How different forms of the word have been
            > matched with a simple word?
            >
            > Salam
            >
            > Syed Sami uz Zafar Naushahi

            Waalaikum Assalam Dear,

            I have also noticed. In fact I have been noticing this from 2-3 years.

            I have been in Saudi Arabia and frequently visiting Arabic(language) sites ...

            I personally think that this is the default Arabic Windows environment... i.e.,

            For finding a word (arabic/farsi/urdu)... the developers of the operating system did make some technical things so that a search always ignores "harakaat"

            check this with either MS-Office applications or even with Adobe Acrobat Reader (ver.6 above)

          • hamad kiani
            Message 5 of 6 , May 20, 2006

              Hello all,

              I was interested in knowing about an online source in Urdu grammar. Despite my best efforts, I could not find out even a sinle source of Urdu grammar online that I could recommend to someone for learning the language.

              Can anyone come up with an idea?

              Thanks.

              Regards,
              Hamad

            • Hamza
              Message 6 of 6 , May 21, 2006
                Naim, C.M.. Introductory Urdu [Chicago]: South Asia Language & Area Center, University of Chicago 1999.

                Volume One
                Volume Two