Re: "How Green was My Valley of the Dolls?"

  • vitarichardsfan
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 28, 2013
      OMG, Flamoo! GWTW is almost as long as Sunday's Oscars telecast, but
      without the tediousness. Actually it's not bad a book at all... JUST
      LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG! (I couldn't get through it.)

      Hitchcock didn't want his public to know "Psycho" was a book first, so
      he either omitted Bloch from the opening credits or minimized his
      contribution. (Bloch was paid very little for the screen rights too.)
      The novel tells the same exact story, but in a completely different way.
      Some of the details and descriptions are different and the script used
      the gimmick of Leading Lady Mary Crane/Marion Crane "exit" unexpectantly
      half-way through the story, whereas the book has her "exit" within the
      first 20-30 pages. (Her "exit" is particularly nastey in the novel.)

      Norman is also described as short, fat, blonde, and forty and his mother
      is very much a "real" character in the novel. Robert Bloch was a very
      underapprecitated talent. (And Hitchcock never won an Oscar!
      Booooooooo!)

      And if you like fantasy and send-ups, "Who Censored Rodger Rabbit?"
      might be your cup of tea. I've been told the second book "Who
      P-p-plugged Rodger Rabbit?" is terrible and don't bother with it.

      Stay away from "Gump and Company" too. Winston Groom wrote it solely to
      cash in on the success of the "Forrest Gump" movie, other than Gump
      meeting Tom Hanks, who makes his story into a movie, there's nothing to
      recommend it.

      --- In urbanvita@yahoogroups.com, Marilyn Kearns <flamingomoon414@...>
      wrote:

      > Yo, Dude, you dissin' GWTW to a SOUTHERN gal? Â Better watch out
      ... you and your little dog too!

      > I should read the Roger Rabbit one ... and I didn't even know that
      "Psycho" was a book. Â I can't read that ... couldn't take a shower
      for months after seeing the movie!!!! I knew Anthony Perkins slightly in
      NYC and was NEVER comfortable around him! Â He was so nice, but I
      just knew there was a butcher knife lurking around somewhere. Â
      > However I did read a good bit of Lovecraft and enjoyed him ... things
      always scratching at the door trying to get in! Â eeek! Â I was a
      big fan of Charles Williams and that led me to Lovecraft, and C.S. Lewis
      and others in that group. Â Inklings, was that it? Â Was Louis
      Carroll in that? Â Have to check don't know. Babbling now.

      > ________________________________

      Wives" and Carlo Collodi's "Pinocchio" , I sugest the following:
      > Addie Pray (aka Papermoon) by Joe David Brown (The movie only covers
      half the book.)
      > The Shining by Stephen King (Very different - and superior - to the
      movie versions. Also "Misery" is an excellent read. Both are truly
      spine-tingling.)
      > Uncle Mame: The Life of Patrick Dennis by Eric Myers ("Auntie Mame -
      An Irreverent Escapade" by Dennis is very funny too.) Someone needs to
      make a movie of this book. An unbelievable life.
      > Who Censored Roger Rabbit? by Gary K. Wolf (A top notch parody of
      detective pulp fiction and Sunday funnies. Totally different from the
      Disney film.)
      > Forrest Gump by Winston Groom (Very different tone from the movie -
      pure satirical travelogue. Forrest meets a cannibal king chess champÂ
      and stars in a remake of "Creature from the Black Lagoon" with Raquel
      Welch are just a few differences from the movie. )
      > To Kill a Mocking Bird by Harper Lee (If you haven't read it yet,
      shame on you. Short and sweet. The movie is one of the very few
      screenplays that's entirely faithful to the book.)
      > Psycho by Robert Bloch (But ONLY if haven't seen the movie and don't
      know the ending.)
      > Any collection of short stories or plays.  I was working on
      (and battling) a collection of H. P. Lovecraft. I think I'd rather
      read a biography of Lovecraft than wade through any more of his actual
      writing. Very heavy going.
      > However, I'll take a GOOD short story over "War and Peace", "Atlas
      Shrugged", and "Gone with the Wind" any day.

      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 28, 2013
        Ok. The good news is I am now waiting for the Mary Lasswell books and because I have a FLAWLESS memory I have a John Connolly ... Terry's recommendation was MICHAEL Connelley but I got it wrong. So, I'm now going to read something called "The Lovers" by someone named John Connolly who, if nothing else, seems to be fairly prolific. We shall see.

        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 28, 2013

          Long?   Then you better stay away from my "The Name Of The Wind" suggestion!  It is so big that your wrists get tired holding it!!!
          I love long books (if I really like the author) because they give me more time with the story.  *:-B nerd

          OMG, Flamoo! GWTW is almost as long as Sunday's Oscars telecast, but
          without the tediousness. Actually it's not bad a book at all... JUST
          LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG! (I couldn't get through it.)

        • olivegrenade
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 28, 2013
            Try reading Raintree County by Ross Lockridge Jr. Magical Realism by an American writer

            Robert Constant
            Dale Wibben Studio LLC
            rconstant.smugmug.com
          • olivegrenade