Re: [urbanvita] Re: Do dolls read "Valley Of the Dolls'? Yes, they do!

    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 28, 2013
      Yo, Dude, you dissin' GWTW to a SOUTHERN gal?  Better watch out ... you and your little dog too!*B-) cool

      I should read the Roger Rabbit one ... and I didn't even know that "Psycho" was a book.  I can't read that ... couldn't take a shower for months after seeing the movie!!!! I knew Anthony Perkins slightly in NYC and was NEVER comfortable around him!  He was so nice, but I just knew there was a butcher knife lurking around somewhere. *:->~~ spooky
      However I did read a good bit of Lovecraft and enjoyed him ... things always scratching at the door trying to get in!  eeek!  I was a big fan of Charles Williams and that led me to Lovecraft, and C.S. Lewis and others in that group.  Inklings, was that it?  Was Louis Carroll in that?  Have to check don't know. Babbling now.

      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 28, 2013
        Worth every effort, I promise! The 3 ladies are named Annie Feeley; Agnes Tinkham; Erna Rasmussen. There is your teaser! They live in a junkyard called Noah's Ark in San Diego during WWII

        Robert Constant
        Dale Wibben Studio LLC

        On Feb 28, 2013, at 1:32 PM, Marilyn Kearns <flamingomoon414@...> wrote:

        I checked at my lib and they didn't have a book, but I'm going to do an interlibrary and read one.  Sounds like a lot of fun!  I'm tracking her down.*'@-@ search me

        Mary L wrote a series of books in the 40s about 3 elderly ladies sharing a house. Absolutely charming and ribald. Available on Amazon and eBay.

        Robert Constant
        Dale Wibben Studio LLC
        rconstant.smugmug.com

        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 28, 2013
          Now I really want to read one.  I'm off to the library to hunt them down.  (also, I've finished pulling up carpet and don't want to start another project so I am procrastinating!!!!!!!)
          ;)
          --- In urbanvita@yahoogroups.com, olivegrenade@... wrote:

          > Worth every effort, I promise! The 3 ladies are named Annie Feeley; Agnes Tinkham; Erna Rasmussen. There is your teaser! They live in a junkyard called Noah's Ark in San Diego during WWII
          >
          > Robert Constant
          > Dale Wibben Studio LLC
          > rconstant.smugmug.com
          >
          > On Feb 28, 2013, at 1:32 PM, Marilyn Kearns flamingomoon414@... wrote:
          >
          > > I checked at my lib and they didn't have a book, but I'm going to do an interlibrary and read one. Sounds like a lot of fun! I'm tracking her down.

        • vitarichardsfan
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 28, 2013
            OMG, Flamoo! GWTW is almost as long as Sunday's Oscars telecast, but
            without the tediousness. Actually it's not bad a book at all... JUST
            LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG! (I couldn't get through it.)

            Hitchcock didn't want his public to know "Psycho" was a book first, so
            he either omitted Bloch from the opening credits or minimized his
            contribution. (Bloch was paid very little for the screen rights too.)
            The novel tells the same exact story, but in a completely different way.
            Some of the details and descriptions are different and the script used
            the gimmick of Leading Lady Mary Crane/Marion Crane "exit" unexpectantly
            half-way through the story, whereas the book has her "exit" within the
            first 20-30 pages. (Her "exit" is particularly nastey in the novel.)

            Norman is also described as short, fat, blonde, and forty and his mother
            is very much a "real" character in the novel. Robert Bloch was a very
            underapprecitated talent. (And Hitchcock never won an Oscar!
            Booooooooo!)

            And if you like fantasy and send-ups, "Who Censored Rodger Rabbit?"
            might be your cup of tea. I've been told the second book "Who
            P-p-plugged Rodger Rabbit?" is terrible and don't bother with it.

            Stay away from "Gump and Company" too. Winston Groom wrote it solely to
            cash in on the success of the "Forrest Gump" movie, other than Gump
            meeting Tom Hanks, who makes his story into a movie, there's nothing to
            recommend it.

            --- In urbanvita@yahoogroups.com, Marilyn Kearns <flamingomoon414@...>
            wrote:

            > Yo, Dude, you dissin' GWTW to a SOUTHERN gal? Â Better watch out
            ... you and your little dog too!

            > I should read the Roger Rabbit one ... and I didn't even know that
            "Psycho" was a book. Â I can't read that ... couldn't take a shower
            for months after seeing the movie!!!! I knew Anthony Perkins slightly in
            NYC and was NEVER comfortable around him! Â He was so nice, but I
            just knew there was a butcher knife lurking around somewhere. Â
            > However I did read a good bit of Lovecraft and enjoyed him ... things
            always scratching at the door trying to get in! Â eeek! Â I was a
            big fan of Charles Williams and that led me to Lovecraft, and C.S. Lewis
            and others in that group. Â Inklings, was that it? Â Was Louis
            Carroll in that? Â Have to check don't know. Babbling now.

            > ________________________________

            pure satirical travelogue. Forrest meets a cannibal king chess champÂ

            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 28, 2013
              Ok. The good news is I am now waiting for the Mary Lasswell books and because I have a FLAWLESS memory I have a John Connolly ... Terry's recommendation was MICHAEL Connelley but I got it wrong. So, I'm now going to read something called "The Lovers" by someone named John Connolly who, if nothing else, seems to be fairly prolific. We shall see.

              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 28, 2013

                Long?   Then you better stay away from my "The Name Of The Wind" suggestion!  It is so big that your wrists get tired holding it!!!
                I love long books (if I really like the author) because they give me more time with the story.  *:-B nerd

                OMG, Flamoo! GWTW is almost as long as Sunday's Oscars telecast, but
                without the tediousness. Actually it's not bad a book at all... JUST
                LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG! (I couldn't get through it.)

              • olivegrenade
                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 28, 2013
                  Try reading Raintree County by Ross Lockridge Jr. Magical Realism by an American writer

                  Robert Constant
                  Dale Wibben Studio LLC
                  rconstant.smugmug.com
                • olivegrenade
                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 28, 2013
                    Let us know!

                    Robert Constant
                    Dale Wibben Studio LLC

                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 28, 2013
                      Let us know!

                      Robert Constant
                      Dale Wibben Studio LLC
                      rconstant.smugmug.com
                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 1, 2013
                        Loved it.  Read it years ago and that's another movie with which I fell in love.  I think I was about 12 or 13 and thought it was the height of love and tragedy!*;;) batting eyelashes  I should read it again and see if the years have changed my mind!