Re: [urbanvita] Do dolls read "Valley Of the Dolls'?

    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 28, 2013
      I checked at my lib and they didn't have a book, but I'm going to do an interlibrary and read one.  Sounds like a lot of fun!  I'm tracking her down.*'@-@ search me

      From: "olivegrenade@..." <olivegrenade@...>
      To: "urbanvita@yahoogroups.com" <urbanvita@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2013 4:23 PM
      Subject: Re: [urbanvita] Do dolls read "Valley Of the Dolls'?

      Mary L wrote a series of books in the 40s about 3 elderly ladies sharing a house. Absolutely charming and ribald. Available on Amazon and eBay.

      Robert Constant
      Dale Wibben Studio LLC
      rconstant.smugmug.com

      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 28, 2013
        Yo, Dude, you dissin' GWTW to a SOUTHERN gal?  Better watch out ... you and your little dog too!*B-) cool

        I should read the Roger Rabbit one ... and I didn't even know that "Psycho" was a book.  I can't read that ... couldn't take a shower for months after seeing the movie!!!! I knew Anthony Perkins slightly in NYC and was NEVER comfortable around him!  He was so nice, but I just knew there was a butcher knife lurking around somewhere. *:-&gt;~~ spooky
        However I did read a good bit of Lovecraft and enjoyed him ... things always scratching at the door trying to get in!  eeek!  I was a big fan of Charles Williams and that led me to Lovecraft, and C.S. Lewis and others in that group.  Inklings, was that it?  Was Louis Carroll in that?  Have to check don't know. Babbling now.

        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 28, 2013
          Worth every effort, I promise! The 3 ladies are named Annie Feeley; Agnes Tinkham; Erna Rasmussen. There is your teaser! They live in a junkyard called Noah's Ark in San Diego during WWII

          Robert Constant
          Dale Wibben Studio LLC

          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 28, 2013
            Now I really want to read one.  I'm off to the library to hunt them down.  (also, I've finished pulling up carpet and don't want to start another project so I am procrastinating!!!!!!!)
            ;)
            --- In urbanvita@yahoogroups.com, olivegrenade@... wrote:

            > Worth every effort, I promise! The 3 ladies are named Annie Feeley; Agnes Tinkham; Erna Rasmussen. There is your teaser! They live in a junkyard called Noah's Ark in San Diego during WWII
            >
            > Robert Constant
            > Dale Wibben Studio LLC
            > rconstant.smugmug.com
            >
            > On Feb 28, 2013, at 1:32 PM, Marilyn Kearns flamingomoon414@... wrote:
            >
            > > I checked at my lib and they didn't have a book, but I'm going to do an interlibrary and read one. Sounds like a lot of fun! I'm tracking her down.

          • vitarichardsfan
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 28, 2013
              OMG, Flamoo! GWTW is almost as long as Sunday's Oscars telecast, but
              without the tediousness. Actually it's not bad a book at all... JUST
              LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG! (I couldn't get through it.)

              Hitchcock didn't want his public to know "Psycho" was a book first, so
              he either omitted Bloch from the opening credits or minimized his
              contribution. (Bloch was paid very little for the screen rights too.)
              The novel tells the same exact story, but in a completely different way.
              Some of the details and descriptions are different and the script used
              the gimmick of Leading Lady Mary Crane/Marion Crane "exit" unexpectantly
              half-way through the story, whereas the book has her "exit" within the
              first 20-30 pages. (Her "exit" is particularly nastey in the novel.)

              Norman is also described as short, fat, blonde, and forty and his mother
              is very much a "real" character in the novel. Robert Bloch was a very
              underapprecitated talent. (And Hitchcock never won an Oscar!
              Booooooooo!)

              And if you like fantasy and send-ups, "Who Censored Rodger Rabbit?"
              might be your cup of tea. I've been told the second book "Who
              P-p-plugged Rodger Rabbit?" is terrible and don't bother with it.

              Stay away from "Gump and Company" too. Winston Groom wrote it solely to
              cash in on the success of the "Forrest Gump" movie, other than Gump
              meeting Tom Hanks, who makes his story into a movie, there's nothing to
              recommend it.

              --- In urbanvita@yahoogroups.com, Marilyn Kearns <flamingomoon414@...>
              wrote:

              > Yo, Dude, you dissin' GWTW to a SOUTHERN gal? Â Better watch out
              ... you and your little dog too!

              > I should read the Roger Rabbit one ... and I didn't even know that
              "Psycho" was a book. Â I can't read that ... couldn't take a shower
              for months after seeing the movie!!!! I knew Anthony Perkins slightly in
              NYC and was NEVER comfortable around him! Â He was so nice, but I
              just knew there was a butcher knife lurking around somewhere. Â
              > However I did read a good bit of Lovecraft and enjoyed him ... things
              always scratching at the door trying to get in! Â eeek! Â I was a
              big fan of Charles Williams and that led me to Lovecraft, and C.S. Lewis
              and others in that group. Â Inklings, was that it? Â Was Louis
              Carroll in that? Â Have to check don't know. Babbling now.

              > ________________________________

              pure satirical travelogue. Forrest meets a cannibal king chess champÂ

              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 28, 2013
                Ok. The good news is I am now waiting for the Mary Lasswell books and because I have a FLAWLESS memory I have a John Connolly ... Terry's recommendation was MICHAEL Connelley but I got it wrong. So, I'm now going to read something called "The Lovers" by someone named John Connolly who, if nothing else, seems to be fairly prolific. We shall see.

                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 28, 2013

                  Long?   Then you better stay away from my "The Name Of The Wind" suggestion!  It is so big that your wrists get tired holding it!!!
                  I love long books (if I really like the author) because they give me more time with the story.  *:-B nerd

                  OMG, Flamoo! GWTW is almost as long as Sunday's Oscars telecast, but
                  without the tediousness. Actually it's not bad a book at all... JUST
                  LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG! (I couldn't get through it.)

                • olivegrenade
                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 28, 2013
                    Try reading Raintree County by Ross Lockridge Jr. Magical Realism by an American writer

                    Robert Constant
                    Dale Wibben Studio LLC
                    rconstant.smugmug.com
                  • olivegrenade
                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 28, 2013
                      Let us know!

                      Robert Constant
                      Dale Wibben Studio LLC

                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 28, 2013
                        Let us know!

                        Robert Constant
                        Dale Wibben Studio LLC
                        rconstant.smugmug.com
                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 1, 2013
                          Loved it.  Read it years ago and that's another movie with which I fell in love.  I think I was about 12 or 13 and thought it was the height of love and tragedy!*;;) batting eyelashes  I should read it again and see if the years have changed my mind!