RE: [urbanvita] Do dolls read "Valley Of the Dolls'?

    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 28 6:59 AM

      I love to read but I rarely find the time to just sit and read other than "school" books these days.   I do love to play audio books while I am driving from one place to another.   I really like Dean Koonz books.   I have "read" Sole Surviver, Fear Nothing, Odd Thomas, Your Heart Belongs To Me and 77 Shadow Street.   I have the entire Chronicles of Narnia I have listened to several times.   Michael Connelley is good too.   I have lots of them and I listen to the good ones more than once.   I listened to Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows before the movies came out and I have to admit, the movies did not live up to the book although I understand they have to rewrite to get the story into a much shorter time.   Michael Connelley's Lincoln Lawyer was a disappointment too.   I loved the movie "Memoirs of a Geisha".   I am afraid to read the book and become disappointed in the movie.

      There is my list.

      Terry

      To: urbanvita@yahoogroups.com
      From: flamingomoon414@...
      Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 13:38:13 +0000
      Subject: [urbanvita] Do dolls read "Valley Of the Dolls'?

      Shirley mentioned liking to read in the Oscars topic and I'm guessing that other folks here might be avid readers also.  Since I'm always looking for new recommendations, how about we each tell 5 books that we love?  How about it, Urban Legends?  Got a fave to suggest?;;)

      I enjoyed each of these:

      Memoirs Of A Geisha
      The Tao of Physics
      Absolutely everything by P.G. Wodehouse (I refuse to choose just one to mention)
      The Name Of The Wind
      Nerve (again, hard to choose one Dick Francis as I've read 'em all ... more than once)

      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 28 8:48 AM
        Terry,  I don't think the movie of "Geisha" will suffer at all when you read the book.  I've watched/read both several times!   ....And bought the dolls!!!

        I liked the film of "Lincoln Lawyer" but haven't read the book.  I'll have to run to the lib and see what's on the shelf.  Never read Dean Koonz either ... Need to check him out.

        Cripes!  I left Thomas Wolf off my list!  I once went on a T.W. bender and read everything of his.  Good 'ole NC boy.

        Sent from my iPad

        To: urbanvita@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 28 8:55 AM
          Actually, I recommended it as an alternative pastime to one of the more passionate haters of watching the Oscars and lovely Shirley agreed.  I make a strong effort to read nowadays as it is so easy to fall into the computer or the television.  Reading is relaxing, but also good for focusing the brain. There is such culture jam do to so many media taht often are all blasting at once.  I think this might be one cause of the famed ADD!  Here are 5 books in no particular order:

          1) Burr by Gore Vidal

          2) I Capture The Castle by Dodie Smith

          3) The Fear Sign by Margery Allingham

          4) Suds In Your Eye by Mary Laswell

          5) The Good Companions by J.B. Priestley

          These are all some of my favorite "feel good" books that are also extremely well written!

          Robert Constant
          323 243 1738
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 28 9:04 AM
            The movie Lincoln Lawyer left a lot of important storyline out and then changed things entirely to make up what they left out.   It was a far better story in the book.  I listened to Jack Reacher which came out starring Tom Cruise.   I have not seen the movie but in the book, Jack Reacher's character was supposed to be a big ex marine MP type over 6 ft tall, not sure how they skated around that.   Good to know that Memoirs of a Geisha was good in the book and the movie.   I may try to find that one in audio.   Loved the movie.  Dean Koonz is very good with always a touch of super natural overtones and good triumphs although there are casualties.   I also listened to "Intensity" by him.   It is indeed intense.   I could not listen to it when I first started it but went back later and got into it.   I have listened to it 3 times now and will probably again.   Funny how you forget certain things between "readings" and catch things you missed before.

            Saw your dining room photo on FB.   Great job!   Love the floors and wall paper!   We are going to get a new roof soon, and would like to get new floors.   A step at a time.

            Terry

            To: urbanvita@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 28 1:22 PM

                Though my dolls' favorite book's are Ira Levin's "The Stepford Wives" and Carlo Collodi's "Pinocchio" , I sugest the following:

                Addie Pray (aka Papermoon) by Joe David Brown (The movie only covers half the book.)

                The Shining by Stephen King (Very different - and superior - to the movie versions. Also "Misery" is an excellent read. Both are truly spine-tingling.)

                Uncle Mame: The Life of Patrick Dennis by Eric Myers ("Auntie Mame - An Irreverent Escapade" by Dennis is very funny too.) Someone needs to make a movie of this book. An unbelievable life.

                Who Censored Roger Rabbit? by Gary K. Wolf  (A top notch parody of detective pulp fiction and Sunday funnies. Totally different from the Disney film.)

                Forrest Gump by Winston Groom (Very different tone from the movie - pure satirical travelogue. Forrest meets a cannibal king chess champ and stars in a remake of "Creature from the Black Lagoon" with Raquel Welch are just a few differences from the movie. )

                To Kill a Mocking Bird by Harper Lee (If you haven't read it yet, shame on you. Short and sweet. The movie is one of the very few screenplays that's entirely faithful to the book.)

                Psycho by Robert Bloch (But ONLY if haven't seen the movie and don't know the ending.)

                Any collection of short stories or plays.  I was working on (and battling) a collection of  H. P. Lovecraft. I think I'd rather read a biography of Lovecraft than wade through any more of his actual writing. Very heavy going.

                However, I'll take a GOOD short story over "War and Peace", "Atlas Shrugged", and "Gone with the Wind" any day.

                Those are my five recs -- all 12 of them.

                > Shirley mentioned liking to read in the Oscars topic and I'm guessing
                > that other folks here might be avid readers also. Since I'm always
                > looking for new recommendations, how about we each tell 5 books that we
                > love? How about it, Urban Legends? Got a fave to suggest? [;;)]
                > I enjoyed each of these:
                > Memoirs Of A GeishaThe Tao of PhysicsAbsolutely everything by P.G.
                > Wodehouse (I refuse to choose just one to mention)The Name Of The
                > WindNerve (again, hard to choose one Dick Francis as I've read 'em all
                > ... more than once)

              • olivegrenade
                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 28 1:23 PM
                  Mary L wrote a series of books in the 40s about 3 elderly ladies sharing a house. Absolutely charming and ribald. Available on Amazon and eBay.

                  Robert Constant
                  Dale Wibben Studio LLC
                  rconstant.smugmug.com
                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 28 1:32 PM
                    I checked at my lib and they didn't have a book, but I'm going to do an interlibrary and read one.  Sounds like a lot of fun!  I'm tracking her down.*'@-@ search me

                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 28 1:44 PM
                      Yo, Dude, you dissin' GWTW to a SOUTHERN gal?  Better watch out ... you and your little dog too!*B-) cool

                      I should read the Roger Rabbit one ... and I didn't even know that "Psycho" was a book.  I can't read that ... couldn't take a shower for months after seeing the movie!!!! I knew Anthony Perkins slightly in NYC and was NEVER comfortable around him!  He was so nice, but I just knew there was a butcher knife lurking around somewhere. *:-&gt;~~ spooky
                      However I did read a good bit of Lovecraft and enjoyed him ... things always scratching at the door trying to get in!  eeek!  I was a big fan of Charles Williams and that led me to Lovecraft, and C.S. Lewis and others in that group.  Inklings, was that it?  Was Louis Carroll in that?  Have to check don't know. Babbling now.

                      Though my dolls' favorite book's are Ira Levin's "The Stepford Wives" and Carlo Collodi's "Pinocchio" , I sugest the following:
                      Addie Pray (aka Papermoon) by Joe David Brown (The movie only covers half the book.)
                      The Shining by Stephen King (Very different - and superior - to the movie versions. Also "Misery" is an excellent read. Both are truly spine-tingling.)
                      Uncle Mame: The Life of Patrick Dennis by Eric Myers ("Auntie Mame - An Irreverent Escapade" by Dennis is very funny too.) Someone needs to make a movie of this book. An unbelievable life.
                      Who Censored Roger Rabbit? by Gary K. Wolf  (A top notch parody of detective pulp fiction and Sunday funnies. Totally different from the Disney film.)
                      Forrest Gump by Winston Groom (Very different tone from the movie - pure satirical travelogue. Forrest meets a cannibal king chess champ and stars in a remake of "Creature from the Black Lagoon" with Raquel Welch are just a few differences from the movie. )
                      To Kill a Mocking Bird by Harper Lee (If you haven't read it yet, shame on you. Short and sweet. The movie is one of the very few screenplays that's entirely faithful to the book.)
                      Psycho by Robert Bloch (But ONLY if haven't seen the movie and don't know the ending.)
                      Any collection of short stories or plays.  I was working on (and battling) a collection of  H. P. Lovecraft. I think I'd rather read a biography of Lovecraft than wade through any more of his actual writing. Very heavy going.
                      However, I'll take a GOOD short story over "War and Peace", "Atlas Shrugged", and "Gone with the Wind" any day.
                      Those are my five recs -- all 12 of them.

                      > Shirley mentioned liking to read in the Oscars topic and I'm guessing
                      > that other folks here might be avid readers also. Since I'm always
                      > looking for new recommendations, how about we each tell 5 books that we
                      > love? How about it, Urban Legends? Got a fave to suggest? [;;)]
                      > I enjoyed each of these:
                      > Memoirs Of A GeishaThe Tao of PhysicsAbsolutely everything by P.G.
                      > Wodehouse (I refuse to choose just one to mention)The Name Of The
                      > WindNerve (again, hard to choose one Dick Francis as I've read 'em all
                      > ... more than once)

                    • olivegrenade
                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 28 1:49 PM
                        Worth every effort, I promise! The 3 ladies are named Annie Feeley; Agnes Tinkham; Erna Rasmussen. There is your teaser! They live in a junkyard called Noah's Ark in San Diego during WWII

                        Robert Constant
                        Dale Wibben Studio LLC

                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 28 1:55 PM
                          Now I really want to read one.  I'm off to the library to hunt them down.  (also, I've finished pulling up carpet and don't want to start another project so I am procrastinating!!!!!!!)
                          ;)
                          --- In urbanvita@yahoogroups.com, olivegrenade@... wrote:

                          > Worth every effort, I promise! The 3 ladies are named Annie Feeley; Agnes Tinkham; Erna Rasmussen. There is your teaser! They live in a junkyard called Noah's Ark in San Diego during WWII
                          >
                          > Robert Constant
                          > Dale Wibben Studio LLC
                          > rconstant.smugmug.com
                          >
                          > On Feb 28, 2013, at 1:32 PM, Marilyn Kearns flamingomoon414@... wrote:
                          >
                          > > I checked at my lib and they didn't have a book, but I'm going to do an interlibrary and read one. Sounds like a lot of fun! I'm tracking her down.

                        • vitarichardsfan
                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 28 2:20 PM
                            OMG, Flamoo! GWTW is almost as long as Sunday's Oscars telecast, but
                            without the tediousness. Actually it's not bad a book at all... JUST
                            LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG! (I couldn't get through it.)

                            Hitchcock didn't want his public to know "Psycho" was a book first, so
                            he either omitted Bloch from the opening credits or minimized his
                            contribution. (Bloch was paid very little for the screen rights too.)
                            The novel tells the same exact story, but in a completely different way.
                            Some of the details and descriptions are different and the script used
                            the gimmick of Leading Lady Mary Crane/Marion Crane "exit" unexpectantly
                            half-way through the story, whereas the book has her "exit" within the
                            first 20-30 pages. (Her "exit" is particularly nastey in the novel.)

                            Norman is also described as short, fat, blonde, and forty and his mother
                            is very much a "real" character in the novel. Robert Bloch was a very
                            underapprecitated talent. (And Hitchcock never won an Oscar!
                            Booooooooo!)

                            And if you like fantasy and send-ups, "Who Censored Rodger Rabbit?"
                            might be your cup of tea. I've been told the second book "Who
                            P-p-plugged Rodger Rabbit?" is terrible and don't bother with it.

                            Stay away from "Gump and Company" too. Winston Groom wrote it solely to
                            cash in on the success of the "Forrest Gump" movie, other than Gump
                            meeting Tom Hanks, who makes his story into a movie, there's nothing to
                            recommend it.

                            --- In urbanvita@yahoogroups.com, Marilyn Kearns <flamingomoon414@...>
                            wrote:

                            > Yo, Dude, you dissin' GWTW to a SOUTHERN gal? Â Better watch out
                            ... you and your little dog too!

                            > I should read the Roger Rabbit one ... and I didn't even know that
                            "Psycho" was a book. Â I can't read that ... couldn't take a shower
                            for months after seeing the movie!!!! I knew Anthony Perkins slightly in
                            NYC and was NEVER comfortable around him! Â He was so nice, but I
                            just knew there was a butcher knife lurking around somewhere. Â
                            > However I did read a good bit of Lovecraft and enjoyed him ... things
                            always scratching at the door trying to get in! Â eeek! Â I was a
                            big fan of Charles Williams and that led me to Lovecraft, and C.S. Lewis
                            and others in that group. Â Inklings, was that it? Â Was Louis
                            Carroll in that? Â Have to check don't know. Babbling now.

                            > ________________________________

                            pure satirical travelogue. Forrest meets a cannibal king chess champÂ

                            Message 13 of 19 , Feb 28 3:10 PM
                              Ok. The good news is I am now waiting for the Mary Lasswell books and because I have a FLAWLESS memory I have a John Connolly ... Terry's recommendation was MICHAEL Connelley but I got it wrong. So, I'm now going to read something called "The Lovers" by someone named John Connolly who, if nothing else, seems to be fairly prolific. We shall see.

                              Message 14 of 19 , Feb 28 3:54 PM

                                Long?   Then you better stay away from my "The Name Of The Wind" suggestion!  It is so big that your wrists get tired holding it!!!
                                I love long books (if I really like the author) because they give me more time with the story.  *:-B nerd

                                Message 15 of 19 , Feb 28 4:44 PM
                                  Try reading Raintree County by Ross Lockridge Jr. Magical Realism by an American writer

                                  Robert Constant
                                  Dale Wibben Studio LLC
                                  rconstant.smugmug.com
                                • olivegrenade
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Feb 28 4:46 PM
                                    Let us know!

                                    Robert Constant
                                    Dale Wibben Studio LLC

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Feb 28 4:47 PM
                                      Let us know!

                                      Robert Constant
                                      Dale Wibben Studio LLC
                                      rconstant.smugmug.com
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Mar 1, 2013
                                        Loved it.  Read it years ago and that's another movie with which I fell in love.  I think I was about 12 or 13 and thought it was the height of love and tragedy!*;;) batting eyelashes  I should read it again and see if the years have changed my mind!