Re: OSCAR NIGHT - Is it just me or...

    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 25, 2013
      I applaud the make up artists! In addition to enjoying the glamor I do kind of study the faces and how the starlets are made up both in their films and on the red carpet. I get ideas for face paints many times from seeing these. I also agree that the show does go on for a long time. I don't mind the awards. I think what makes it go on so long are the attempts at humor and the speeches that go on too long. I did have to chuckle when "Jaws" started playing when the speeches got too long. I stuck it out to end. Only happens once a year so it is bearable.

      Terry

      --- In urbanvita@yahoogroups.com, olivegrenade@... wrote:

      > This very sweet! Thank you. MU/Hair tend to get overlooked, this the growl 😄
      >
      > Robert Constant
      > Dale Wibben Studio LLC
      > rconstant.smugmug.com
      >
      > On Feb 25, 2013, at 10:23 AM, Shirley L Harned <harned@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Mr. Constant, I surely understand your position! I didn't do film but I was an opera performer for many years. I KNOW what miracles you makeup people work on a daily basis. I would like to thank you, as a representative beneficiary of the makeup artists' skills, for your incredible talent and knowledge and abilities. Without you all, we couldn't do our jobs properly. Who wants to see their next door neighbor with her bare face hanging out do queens and Valkyries and even ladies in waiting? Glamor and character delineation is where it's at. Basically, stage and screen performers are truly in the absolute literal sense of the word, living dolls. Nobody would buy a doll that looks like a real pre-makeup person! Performers need makeup even to look like a regular on the street next door person!
      > >

      > > Thanks again.
      > > Shirley Harned
      > > Broad Spectrum
      > >
      > > On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 7:27 AM, Robert Constant <olivegrenade@...> wrote:
      > >>

      > >> As a makeup artist in the industry I do want to say that the Academy Awards is more than a televised fashion show and star parade. Film making is a collective art project: absolutely no one (not even Halle Berry or Charlize Theron)can do it alone. Awards for Costume Design and Makeup may seem dull to you but they are vital to us and those of us who spend long hours (average work week 75 hours) working very hard indeed for a fraction of what stars and directors and cinematographers make really love to see each other get some recognition for some amazing and often unremarked work. The award for best makeup took how long to present and achieve? Let us have our little moment. We work damned hard for it!
      > >>
      > >> Robert Constant
      > >> 323 243 1738
      > >> http://rconstant.smugmug.com/

    • vitarichardsfan
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 27, 2013

        The entire entertainment industry goes on hold to endlessly pat themselves on the back for a  job mediocrely done thrice a year (Globes, Oscars and Emmys) while  the rest of America (North America?) is stuck with these bloated, awkward, tedious Awards or watching unnecessary repeats of shows/movies that might not have been particularly stimulating during the first time around (networks attempts at "counterprogramming" is usually a failure) or attempting various tasks  that's impratical for an odd Sunday night or going to bed at 6:30 PM. Want to admire the red carpet gowns, hair, and jewelry? Tune into any entertainment news show the next morning or the Internet and watch the walk over and over, not to mention the highlights of the broadcast.

        Move all entertainment awards to Saturday nights and I won't bitch. Hell, the low-rated Tonys might even thrive on Saturday nights.

        --- In urbanvita@yahoogroups.com, "vitarichardsfan" <genemarshallfan@...> wrote:

        > I am one hundred percent behind Flamoo on the awards show.
        >
        > However the awards should be reconfigured... to something more like the
        > Golden Globes:
        >
        > Cut the show to best drama/musical feature, best comedy/animated
        > feature, best lead performers, best FEATURED (supporting isn't always
        > an accurate description) performers, and best JUVENILE (under 18 either
        > lead or supporting) performers.
        >
        > Everybody else: HAVE A NICE LUNCHEON!
        >
        > --- In urbanvita@yahoogroups.com, "vitarichardsfan"
        > genemarshallfan@ wrote:
        > >

        > > ... Does Seth MacFarlane look like Peter Brady after doing a Pepsident
        > > commercial?
        > >
        > > ... Does this show EVER end?
        > >
        > > ... Why isn't there anything else on?
        > >
        > > ... Can I watch "Downton Abby" a third time around?
        > >
        > > ... Why hasn't MARY HARTMAN, MARY HARTMAN Volume Two come out yet?
        > >
        > > ... Oh! That's who Adele is! (She ain't bad. Like her voice.)
        > >
        > > ... SALLY FIELDS DIDN'T WIN? SERIOUSLY? (Good! She's got two already.)
        > >
        > > "I'm Dorothy Chandler, GET OUT OF MY PAVILION!" -- David Letterman's
        > Top
        > > Ten List, 1998
        > >
        > > GOOD NIGHT EVERYBODY!

      • Robert Constant
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 27, 2013
          So...why don't you go to the theatre?  Listen to music.  Have a dinner party.  You could even read a book.  You don't have to watch us endlessly pat ourselves on the back!

          Robert Constant
          323 243 1738
        • Shirley L Harned
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 27, 2013
            I agree wholeheartedly with Mr. Constant. Try conversation with a friend or significant other, or read a book (love that, Mr. C), and/or have a conversation about a book? I haven't had a TV for about 30 years now. When someone gave me one several years before that I mainly watched the cooking shows to wind down after coming home from rehearsals or performances. I gave it back after a year or two, though I still love to cook. Y'all should try the reading &/or conversation thing. It's quite liberating because you can actually go somewhere besides the couch, even take a walk or sit in the park, and with books you get to cast the parts yourself, or even play them! I have had a wonderful time all my life since I was five reading books. As I say, try it y'all. I think you will be amazed at how much fun it is! I've even learned a thing or two, reading. It's totally wonderful.

            Cariñosamente,
            Shirley H.
            Broad Spectrum

            On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 9:55 AM, vitarichardsfan <genemarshallfan@...> wrote:

            The entire entertainment industry goes on hold to endlessly pat themselves on the back for a  job mediocrely done thrice a year (Globes, Oscars and Emmys) while  the rest of America (North America?) is stuck with these bloated, awkward, tedious Awards or watching unnecessary repeats of shows/movies that might not have been particularly stimulating during the first time around (networks attempts at "counterprogramming" is usually a failure) or attempting various tasks  that's impratical for an odd Sunday night or going to bed at 6:30 PM. Want to admire the red carpet gowns, hair, and jewelry? Tune into any entertainment news show the next morning or the Internet and watch the walk over and over, not to mention the highlights of the broadcast.

            Move all entertainment awards to Saturday nights and I won't bitch. Hell, the low-rated Tonys might even thrive on Saturday nights.

            --- In urbanvita@yahoogroups.com, "vitarichardsfan" <genemarshallfan@...> wrote:

            > I am one hundred percent behind Flamoo on the awards show.
            >
            > However the awards should be reconfigured... to something more like the
            > Golden Globes:
            >
            > Cut the show to best drama/musical feature, best comedy/animated
            > feature, best lead performers, best FEATURED (supporting isn't always
            > an accurate description) performers, and best JUVENILE (under 18 either
            > lead or supporting) performers.
            >
            > Everybody else: HAVE A NICE LUNCHEON!
            >
            > --- In urbanvita@yahoogroups.com, "vitarichardsfan"
            > genemarshallfan@ wrote:
            > >

            > > ... Does Seth MacFarlane look like Peter Brady after doing a Pepsident
            > > commercial?
            > >
            > > ... Does this show EVER end?
            > >
            > > ... Why isn't there anything else on?
            > >
            > > ... Can I watch "Downton Abby" a third time around?
            > >
            > > ... Why hasn't MARY HARTMAN, MARY HARTMAN Volume Two come out yet?
            > >
            > > ... Oh! That's who Adele is! (She ain't bad. Like her voice.)
            > >
            > > ... SALLY FIELDS DIDN'T WIN? SERIOUSLY? (Good! She's got two already.)
            > >
            > > "I'm Dorothy Chandler, GET OUT OF MY PAVILION!" -- David Letterman's
            > Top
            > > Ten List, 1998
            > >
            > > GOOD NIGHT EVERYBODY!

          • Robert Constant