RE: Nail Polish Removal - Thank you, Terry and Flamoo!

  • vitarichardsfan
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 18, 2013

      Thank you for your help. I'll research that gel stuff... Our Walmarts have been drastically "revised" during the past two years. (Like our Walmart needed a grocery store AND NO HOBBIE/FABRIC SECTION!)

      [Note: Long blathering follows:]

      Acid-moan it is, I guess.  :-s (I remember a Gene repaint gone wrong... The head was okay, but her poor body! Sandpaper took care of some of the "scars".)  From what I understood, Urban Vita's bodies are painted and I don't want to corrupt that paint.

      I wanted to "neutralize" a couple of my "Urban Expressions" because they are currently dressed as Alice (from Wonderland*) and Dorothy (from MGM**) and it looks strange to have a pairie lass and an English school girl with bright red nail polish.

      I was going to replace the color with "nude" paint and then use high-gloss sealer. That way they have nice nails, but that can become anyone at anytime.

      My remaining Urban Expressions get to keep their original nail colors. (Red works well for sophisticated ladies and villianous vixens.)

      -- VRF

      *  New Alice costume from China via eBay; replaces old Goodreau yellow dress.

      ** Old Gene Dorothy costume, used for, ironically enough, a Tonner Judy Garland Dorothy, which is now on an Urban Expressions awaiting new socks and a new wig... Though the turquoise Monique bobbed wig oddly enough, works very well.

      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 18, 2013
        Really the trick is to neutralize the remover a.s.a.p.  I used to keep a little bowl of epsom salts in water handy and and as soon as I cleaned an area, I would rinse it in the salts and then wipe it with a damp cloth.  Worked well, and I never had any problems!
        I'll cross my deep red nails for your success!

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 18, 2013
          They revised the Walmart here too. They got rid of the fabrics but kept a small craft section, mostly beading stuff and they still have sewing machines and some sewing items like needles but but little else. Fortunately we have fabric stores close by and Michael's and Hobby Lobby close too.

          I don't think Vita's body is painted, however it is a harder molded plastic. I have done some minor sanding on some of the older bodies and never removed any color. I even had to do some minor "surgery" when I broke an upper arm and the plastic was the same on the inside as it was on the outside. Thanks again to Ken who provided the small part that I broke. The repair was flawless and I don't remember now which doll it was. Resin scares the hell out of me, I know I am going to drop a doll and I like to know I can fix something.

          Terry

          --- In urbanvita@yahoogroups.com, "vitarichardsfan" <genemarshallfan@...> wrote:

          > Thank you for your help. I'll research that gel stuff... Our Walmarts
          > have been drastically "revised" during the past two years. (Like our
          > Walmart needed a grocery store AND NO HOBBIE/FABRIC SECTION!)
          >
          > [Note: Long blathering follows:]
          >
          > Acid-moan it is, I guess. [:-s] (I remember a Gene repaint gone
          > wrong... The head was okay, but her poor body! Sandpaper took care of
          > some of the "scars".) From what I understood, Urban Vita's bodies are
          > painted and I don't want to corrupt that paint.
          >
          > I wanted to "neutralize" a couple of my "Urban Expressions" because they
          > are currently dressed as Alice (from Wonderland*) and Dorothy (from
          > MGM**) and it looks strange to have a pairie lass and an English school
          > girl with bright red nail polish.
          >
          > I was going to replace the color with "nude" paint and then use
          > high-gloss sealer. That way they have nice nails, but that can become
          > anyone at anytime.
          >
          > My remaining Urban Expressions get to keep their original nail colors.
          > (Red works well for sophisticated ladies and villianous vixens.)
          >
          > -- VRF
          >

          > * New Alice costume from China via eBay; replaces old Goodreau yellow
          > dress.
          >
          > ** Old Gene Dorothy costume, used for, ironically enough, a Tonner Judy
          > Garland Dorothy, which is now on an Urban Expressions awaiting new socks
          > and a new wig... Though the turquoise Monique bobbed wig oddly enough,
          > works very well.

        • vitarichardsfan
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 20, 2013
            Don't even get me started on my concerns with resin!

            The reason it's popular is because you get great details in mold and the great surface appearance... But then one wrong move -OOPS!- it cracks, snaps, and crumbles. OOPS! It falls off the shelf and smash! 900 bucks down the drain. I much rather have a doll in a ceramic material.

            AND DON'T GET ME STARTED ON TONNER'S USE OF THE PHRASE: "High Quality Hard Plastic". There is no such thing... You know what "High Quality" plastic is? VINYL!

            OOooooooo! I gotta cut down on the caffein and sugar... AND DON'T EVEN START WITH "STAINING" AND "YELLOWING" we'll be here for a week!

            :^D

            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 20, 2013
              I'm not a fan of resin either.  I do have two bjd's that I love, but add to the potential for breakage the fact that they can't be left in sunlight or they will yellow!

              Yeah, I am a fan of plastic/vinyl and poor Trixie has had many, many falls and like a Timex watch just "keeps on ticking"!

              Watch those white chocolate vanilla lattes, Ray.  Oh, wait .... that's me that needs to watch those.

              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 20, 2013

                I worry about Bijou on a daily basis... Well, not on a daily basis... Just when I hear of other resin dolls or collectibles shatter... I think: "I hope Flamoo has Bijou secured in bubble wrap in a metal box in a safe in a vault covered in bubble wrap somewhere."

                My mom has half a dozen resin roosters about her house and they're always losing a comb or a tailfeather.

                My heart just couldn't take a resin doll.  I had a hard enough time with Tonner necks splitting on me. Yeesh!

                The absolutely worse thing that has happened to me Vita-wise was that Dot arrived with -- for lack of a discription -- "unassembled?" "under-assembled?" arm... Got out the old Superglue and ta-da! A long winded email about the perils of doll collecting. (Dot's fine - She has a red motorcycle, lovin' it.)

                Bought Acetone tonight; wish me luck...

                Also put a bid on a Gene Marshall Convention trunk on eBay, I'm hoping someone will put a higher bid on it -- Really, what was I thinking? Someone "snipes" me, please! Wish me luck... or would that be "unluck"?

                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 21, 2013
                • 1 Attachment
                • 1.5 MB
                You mean the old trunk with the star on the front?  Well, as trunks go, they are nice.  I have the black one, I think the convention one was white, wasn't it?  Good luck, or bad luck .... whichever you choose! *%*-{ down on luck

                Bijou is just fine.  Poor girl lives in a basket covered with a cloth most of the time.  I do still think she is beautiful, I just don't play with her all that much.  So she is safe and thanks you for remembering her!  I put a photo of her here for you, but I have no idea if this will actually show because I'm doing it in email and not on the site.  We'll see.

                *:-* kiss M

                Message 8 of 11 , Feb 21, 2013

                  Some merciful angel has outbid me for the trunk that I wanted until I forgot about the shipping charge that was equal to that of the trunk! Thank you, whoever you are who outbidded me!

                  The trunk was the same light brown color of the Madra's Screen Test trunk, but it had a generic white lining with red printing and a Gene 1998 Hollywood Convention pasted on top.  The trunk wasn't a proper doll case, it was 10"x6"x6.5", but sturdy and big enough to store some dollwear. Same hardware as the Gene trunks, but no shelves, drawers, or dividers.  I figured $15.oo wasn't bad so I put a bid on it... Forgetting to figure in the $13.oo S/H!  That was even higher than the shipping charges for the Swan bed I purchased recently.

                  It worked out... However I WAS hoping for a little more suspense and at the last moment an "eBay Sniper" would hit.  Now THAT would've been a bit of excitement in my humdrum little life. (I usually try my hand at being an "eBay Sniper" - that's how I wound up with a NMIB  My Valentine and the Gene Swan Bed and a few other items.)

                  I'm glad to hear that Bijou is safe and sound, if in captivity. (Pic didn't come through on my end, though the header does say "1 New Photo".) SHOW HER OFF! Just do it CAREFULLY.;)

                  TBC... maybe....

                  Message 9 of 11 , Feb 21, 2013

                    I'm glad you were saved from yourself.  *&[] giftAnd the snipee is probably overjoyed with the trunk.  Now you have more dolly $$ to spend on Horsman goodies!!

                  • vitarichardsfan
                    Message 10 of 11 , Feb 24, 2013

                      ... And it' s already spent.... about three or four times over for UV.... (Daughter Who Sews, Affordable Designs, Monique Wigs, Michaels, Joanne's and Ross's...) Fun, fun, fun, fun.... Expressions Queen of Hearts (proper) emerging soon!

                      ENJOY THE TRUNK!

                      Message 11 of 11 , Feb 24, 2013

                        We shop at the same boutiques!  LOL!   Bought a few items too from some of the same.   I cannot wait to see what you got.

                        Terry

                        To: urbanvita@yahoogroups.com
                        From: genemarshallfan@...
                        Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 04:48:54 +0000