(NVR) --- A PUDDLE OF BLOOD ---

  • vitarichardsfan
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 9, 2012

      <<<Now that I have your attention>>>

      This isn't Vita or Horsman related, but it is dolly related… DEADLY DOLLY RELATED! (cue musical sting)

      Several years ago I purchased a Madam Alexander Alex maid costume… You see, movie diva Miss Madra Lord, needed a whipping girl and a redheaded Alex doll fit the bill, but she needed the proper duds… The costume was part of an Alex 1930s Murder Mystery Weekend collection and the maid, poor thing, was the victim of foul play… But apparently the maid wasn't so innocent since the costume set was called "Blackmail"… What made this set unique was that the costume came with props: a well-made silver tray, a martini glass, and my favorite prop… A PUDDLE OF BLOOD! (cue musical sting again)

      I had such grand fun with my puddle of blood… Gene Marshall was a victim of foul play… Then Miss Lord was mortally wounded, dying just before naming her killer… Trent was a top drawer corpse with those big blank eyes rolled up to the ceiling… Investigative Reporter Brenda Starr was just a little too nosey for her own good at times… Basil St. John went missing, leaving only you-know-what behind… Even Agnes Von Plastique (aka Agnes McPlastique aka Agnes La Plastique) got into the act… Don't know Agnes? She's the renamed redheaded Alex doll who is now servant to all the other dolls… We all had morbidly good times with my lovely faux puddle of crimson delights. No tacky holiday serial killings, just good ol' classy dolly homicide.

      Then tragedy struck! (cue musical sting)

      A surprise interior paint job followed closely by an out of the blue decision to re-carpet prompted me to do a last minute, lightning speed, boxing up of all my stuff and store my belongings in a dark dingy garage for a month or so.

      A few months after the redecorating, I decided to revive that famous nonexistent Agatha Christie play, "Ten Little Fashion Dolls". I assembled an impeccable cast of Madras, Genes, Trents, a Violet, and, of course, Agnes. Set in a sitting room in a hotel on a deserted island in the late 1940s; the stage was set, the digital camera was planted on the tri-pod, but our star was nowhere to be found: MY BELOVED POOL OF BLOOD WAS GONE! Where was it? What did I do with it? I lost my blood! My precious puddle of gruesome goodness. How can anyone have an effective murder mystery show starring retro-fashion dolls without a vinyl sheet of stylized blood? I went on a tirade, tearing my room apart in search of the most important doll prop to no avail. I gave up.

      I tried making my own vinyl cutouts, but they just didn't look right… Some looked drippy, some looked splatty, some looked runny, but none looked like a puddle of blood. I would go into Joanne's Fabrics and buy six inches of red vinyl one day and be back the next day to buy another six inched of red vinyl. The Fabric-Cutter asked me, "Why all the red vinyl?" and I naturally replied, "Oh, it's blood for my murdered dolls." Joanne personally told me she never ever wanted to see me in her store again and then referred me to her shrink: a Dr. H. Lechter, I threw his business card away. (Okay, this last part I made up, but I missed my puddle of blood.)

      Well, it was back to benign tea parties, stiff cocktail gathers, faux strolls through parks, and recreations of the Human Centipede for me and my dolls. I started collecting Tonner DC Superheroes, Wizard of Oz witches, and Alice in Wonderland and other off-the-beaten path characters. I moved onward and, after discovering our lovely Vita, upwards.

      Lately I went on a wild doll-spree; I've wound up with a Victor Dreary, another Urban Expressions, two Mad Hatters, an Alice, a Dorothy, that Pin-Up Bettie, some refugees from Hogwart's, Adam Baldwin, a full size Twilight Zone talking Talky Tina, and most recently, the Bride of Frankenstein (most commonly known as "Mummy Dearest"). I'm content with my collection and all of my kids are playing nicely, even though they've lost their edge and sick sense of humor.

      Tonight, I went to my bookshelf, chose a play to read, and retired to… to… the… "Library"… When I opened the book, I noticed a bookmark placed between a couple of pages… And what do you think that bookmark turned out to be?

      I started laughing uncontrollably… My laughter was not that I had found my long lost puddle of blood, but what book it was placed in… I didn't even remember ever using this as a bookmark, let alone the book in which it was placed… A classic horror play in three acts by Hamilton Dean and John L. Balderstone: Dracula. (cue drum roll and fade out)

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 9, 2012
        A great story, and told with your own inimitable flair and wit!  So glad to know that you  can now murder your dolls along with the best of 'em.
        Can't wait to see "Ten Little Fashion Dolls".  :D
        And I will confess that I loved that Maid set from Alexander so much that I bought two of them!
        Come to think of it, I haven't had that on a Vita because I turned a little Kingstate doll into "the maid" and now I don't remember seeing the second outfit!  Uh, oh.  Has mine vanished too? :O
      • vitarichardsfan
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 9, 2012
          Check your copy of "Dracula", there's a maid in need of a costume.

          That costume is so great, I thought of buying a second one too, but Matilda was sold out. I avoid E(vil)Bay.

          I've also misplaced a Brenda Starr blouse/bodysuit and an Alex slinky evening gown with a couple of minor alterations I made... I'm hoping those will "magically" reappear too.

          That "puddle of blood" wasn't a large as I remember, maybe that's what made so effective.

          I was watching Alfred Hitchcock Presents a few minutes and Marsha Hunt was the guest victim of the episode. Where's my Marsha doll?
          (Cue musically sting.)