Another Question: Are your dolls "people"?

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 28, 2011
      Not quite as crazy as it might sound.  As collectors we have varied ways of enjoying our little vinyl buddies and I was just reading Regina's comments about the "reality" of the look of dolls today.

        As Regina pointed out, dolls have become more and more 'realistic' in their ability to mimic the human body in movement and in the sculpting of the faces and bodies as fashion doll collectors have demanded that.  My first Gene only bent at the shoulder and the hip .... WHAT?  Yes.  True. :((  And there are many of the fashion doll community who only display their dolls, and therefore articulation is unimportant as far as they are concerned.  Some say they even prefer the non-bending arms and legs as they are visually more appealing.  And then you run into me.  I can adapt to most any kind of joint as long as that doll can move like a contortionist in butter! =;  (I know.  odd analogy, but the best I could do).   That's because, for me, the fun is in posing and  photographing the dolls in the world I create for them.  And for me, the dolls do become little plastic people.  Some more than others  (Trixie 8-|).

      So at last the question ... do you think of your dolls as people?  Are they just mannequins for clothes?  A little of both?

      Do they have individual personalities and individual likes and dislikes?  And do those likes and dislikes ever surprise you?

      I like pink.  And one day I decided to put Trixie in a pink outfit.  Turns out she does not like pink at all!  Surprise! :O

      So, what is your take on all this?  Are your dolls little plastic people?  :)

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 28, 2011

        Of course they are only dolls.   They told me so just the other day when we were talking about it...

        Terry

        ps:  I have also noticed, that some, Madra in particular, when displayed on a shelf with another doll, will push the competition off the shelf and onto the floor.   This has happened more than once and for no apparent reason.   She looks all innocent but I don't buy it.

        To: urbanvita@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 28, 2011
          ROFLMAO............

          Kurt

          To: urbanvita@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 28, 2011
            Terry, I have a 20" inch Uneeda Dollikin like that.  When I first got her she keep falling off of the shelf.  It happens four or five times, so I finally got some ribbon and tied her to the shelf where she has been for years now.  Poor baby.  Several of my dolls friends also have these spooky dolls that move around.  Guess it is just the inner spring inside, or else a haunted doll.Winking smile

            Lena

            Don't worry about tomorrow; God is already there!

            To: urbanvita@yahoogroups.com
            From: KURT65@...
            Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 16:05:46 -0400

            ROFLMAO............

            Kurt

            To: urbanvita@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 29, 2011
              :D:D.  Poor Madra.  I think she's just horribly misunderstood.

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 29, 2011
                Don't feel sorry for Madra. Her reputation is well deserved. I would like to blame the "accidents" on gravity but the fact is... The ones who take a dive are usually those who get placed in front, or slightly in front of her. They are always on stands but it doesn't seem to matter. I don't think she likes to share the spotlight. When you go to investigate the situation, she is the only one on the shelf who seems not to have noticed.

                That's my story... and I'm sticking with it.