Release of UPPAAL 4.0.0

  • Gerd Behrmann
    Message 1 of 1 , May 29, 2006
      Dear all,

      I am proud to announce the release of UPPAAL 4.0. This release is the
      result of over 2 and a half years of development with contributions
      not only from people in Uppsala and Aalborg, but from people from
      universities arround the world.

      We decided to call this release UPPAAL 4.0 instead of UPPAAL 3.6
      (beta versions were called 3.6). The change in major version number
      indicates that a large number of features were added since the
      release of UPPAAL 3.4. It also indicates that we have made a number
      of minor incompatible changes to the modeling language, which means
      that old models need to be converted to the new version. Almost all
      models can be converted automatically from the GUI. In case you for
      some reason need to stay with the old syntax for a while, we have
      added a compatibility mode, in which UPPAAL will accept the old syntax.

      UPPAAL 4.0 introduces many new exciting features and improvements. To
      list a few (in no particular order):

      - Symmetry reduction (we thank Martijn Hendriks and Radboud
      University for helping with this)

      - User defined functions

      - Priorities on processes and channels

      - New abstraction techniques (we thank Radek Pelanek and Patricia
      Bouyer for their contributions)

      - A factor 3 to 5 reduction in memory usage

      - Fully searchable help system

      - Implementation of the generalized sweep line method can give
      further memory savings

      - Record types

      - Quantifiers in expressions

      - Undo and redo support in the editor

      - Syntax highlighting, custom location and edge colors, documentation
      comments on locations and edges.

      - Better trace generation

      This only covers the most visible changes. A lot of polish has been
      applied and many changes have been made under the hood. The new
      version can be downloaded from http://www.uppaal.com/ for Linux,
      Windows and Mac OS X.