Canadian cash is actually NO LONGER accepted as legal tender in Canada (was: Re: Time-table to get to 100% money creation by the BoC)

  • Ardeshir Mehta
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2008
      On 1-Jul-08, at 1:34 PM, Peter Hogwood wrote:

      >> [ARDESHIR] But the banks PASS IT OFF as legal tender (e.g., I can
      >> pay my taxes - income taxes, sales taxes, you name 'em - from my
      >> deposit account, using a cheque or a debit card), which is
      >> precisely what constitutes the fraud of counterfeiting, and is
      >> against the law, punishable by hefty fines and/or jail time.
      >
      > [PETER HOGWOOD] But they [the banks] simply do not, you delusional
      > ignoramus. You make these things up or just don't know better.

      [A] You clearly did not respond to the points I was making. How can I
      pay my taxes with money that's not legal tender?

      Is it because you cannot? (I suspect it is, since you resort to
      insults instead of to arguments!)

      Even worse, though, is this (from CBC News, see

      <http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2007/05/04/cash-revenue.html>):

      [QUOTE]

      Cash no longer accepted for paying taxes

      Last Updated: Friday, May 4, 2007 | 7:36 AM ET

      CBC News

      Ottawa will no longer accept cash payments from people paying their
      taxes at service counters across the country.

      The Canada Revenue Agency says it will still accept cash payments
      made through banks, however. Service counters will continue to accept
      cheque and debit payments.

      The agency says it made the change because so few people pay with cash.

      Of the seven per cent of taxpayers who make payments at the service
      counters, less than one per cent pay by cash, said Revenue Canada
      spokesperson Heather Cameron.

      "It comes down to the fact … that there's so few people that are
      actually making their payments in cash now," said Cameron.

      It's not clear when the agency will stop accepting cash at service
      counters, but one New Brunswick woman says she was told it would
      start on June 1.

      Patricia Farren says she was shocked when she paid her income taxes
      at a Canada Revenue office in Saint John and was told it would be the
      final time she could pay by cash.

      Farren says she was so angered by the decision, she wrote her local
      MLA and Prime Minister Stephen Harper.

      "The idea that our money in our country is not going to be accepted
      by our country is unacceptable. I do not have another government that
      I can go shop with," she said.

      [END QUOTE]

      Just goes to show that Canadian CASH is actually NO LONGER accepted
      as legal tender in Canada; only BANK-CREATED Canadian dollars are!
      (How topsy-turvy is THIS?)

      +++++

      >> From: Ardeshir Mehta <ardeshir@...>
      >>
      >> On 1-Jul-08, at 9:19 AM, Peter Hogwood wrote:
      >>
      >>> Bank credit in the form of credits to deposit accounts is not
      >>> legal tender, you delusional ignoramus. Dollars are the unit of
      >>> account. Banks do not claim that credits to deposit accounts are
      >>> legal tender.
      >>
      >> I KNOW it's not legal tender. Didn't I SAY so below?
      >>
      >>> But the banks PASS IT OFF as legal tender (e.g., I can pay my
      >>> taxes - income taxes, sales taxes, you name 'em - from my deposit
      >>> account, using a cheque or a debit card), which is precisely what
      >>> constitutes the fraud of counterfeiting, and is against the law,
      >>> punishable by hefty fines and/or jail time.
      >>
      >> This is the typical crank argument that you present that
      >> identifies you as a delusional ignoramus. Except for time
      >> deposits, banks are required to exchange deposit balances for
      >> legal tender on demand.
      >>
      >> Peter
      >>
      >>> How polite.
      >>
      >> Cheers.