Re: [Unmuzzled Ox] Re: CITIES TO INHABIT

  • voxhaul@AOL.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 5, 2005
      Clinton Hill Brooklyn--near Pratt University--an up and coming
      neighborhood very suitable for a family where the rent for a
      two-bedroom place with space and light would be around 1750-2000 per
      month--this would mean limiting the amount of eating out and taking
      advantage of city amenities for health and transportation--but is doable

      steven hall

      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 6, 2005
        Hi Steven, This was very helpful. I looked it up.

        Where was the kid with the IPOD killed? This was in E. Flatbush I think
        they said. So north of Prospect Park is ok and south of it isn't?

        I like Prospect Park. Has everybody on this list seen the Camperdown Elm
        outside of the Aududon Bathhouse? It's a strange little warped tree that
        Marianne Moore wrote a later poem about trying to save it. It's still
        there. It must be the ugliest tree I've ever seen. It's so ugly it's almost
        elegant.

        Almost. She compares this tree to the massive elms in the Asher Durand
        painting set in Kaaterskill Falls which is worth a visit. She must have
        been joking to compare such a stunted tree to such a massive canopy of elms
        and other stately trees.

        Definitely worth reading the poem and scheduling a day around its visit.
        Bring a weird lunch of odd Asian crackers that smell like fish just to
        complete the weirdness.

        East of the park were a string of nice stores and restaurants. West of it
        is the Brooklyn Public Library and so on. I'm told by my multicultural
        students that the best place for a white dude like myself to get killed
        would be Flatbush. So I went along Flatbush in the car to investigate. For
        some reason there were a lot of young black men weaving through the traffic
        on tiny bicycles -- barely children's bicycles. It made a neat effect.

        I was in lower Harlem at 126th St. and a nice older black fellow in
        Morningside Park told me to get out of the park before I was killed.
        Imagine someone telling Oprah to get out of Hermes or else she'd be killed.
        The double standard just kills me. Well, not literally. My students say
        that they are just as likely to be killed in the same neighborhoods so I
        shouldn't take it personally.

        I think the problem is that if one out of a thousand people is violently
        racist or just plain violent then in a community of 20,000 there are 20
        people who will hurt you. In a multicultural tapestry like Brooklyn this
        means always watching your back esp. if you are sporting an IPOD. There
        used to be a Norwegian American community somewhere in East Brooklyn but for
        some reason Robert Moses killed that community by putting an elevated
        highway right through their main street and wiped out all the businesses but
        that could be more tendentiousness by Robert Caro his demented biographer.

        I used to like living in Seattle. I liked living in Portland. Prices
        quadrupled there. I hate the south. I live in the Catskills and it's
        somewhat isolating but my 5 bedroom house cost less than 200 grand and
        overlooks an untouched mountain and a beautiful river which fills up with
        fog every morning and then slowly lifts and my kids are very safe here (the
        last murder in this county that wasn't solved was some 40 years ago, but of
        course friends and lovers do kill one another). There were more people in
        this county the size of Rhode Island in 1800. There are now only 40,000.
        There is one bookstore. Mostly it's a nature park for the New york City
        water department. Giant straws reach from here into Manhattan and tiny
        unmanned submarines patrol the huge cement straws looking for cracks.

        I only make about 46,000 here but I think if I went to a larger area I could
        get 60, possibly, if I really tried. What about Providence? What about
        Philadelphia?

        Hey, who's on this list, and where do you live? I need your information.
        Please function.

        -- Kirby Olson

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 7, 2005
          Until recently I would have recommended my little complex on Staten
          Island. Then six months ago, a crackhead lady moved in with her
          hustles and street action. And then some young thugs given to
          Saturday night brawls and arrests. And finally a family of three
          whites, with a hard ex-con dad, an out-of-control little boy and an
          astoundingly loud mother. Outside now threatens like the Upper West
          Side in the early seventies.

          I've wondered why this little neighborhood suddenly tipped. It's
          probably coincidence or my bad luck. But perhaps the ongoing New York
          construction boom has forced landlords to cut rents.

          So far as I know the Norwegian community still functions.

        • Kirby Olson
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 7, 2005
            Michael, is there a Norwegian community in NYC? where? you mean the one in
            Brooklyn? Where is it, exactly?

            Your neighborhood could tip back. I live in a town with three streets --
            Main St. and then Elm St. (the elms are gone due to the nightmare of Dutch
            elm's) and then Second St. I live on a circle 8 adjacent to the town. When
            we moved in we were warned about the albino nutcase living across from us.
            He was the cocaine supplier to the entire Catskills region and when he got a
            shipment cars came every three minutes for hours at 2 am. But next door to
            him was the village policeman and he finally caught him with a supply in his
            house and the albino was shipped upstate. In his stead is now living a
            state policeman -- a tough young guy who spends a lot of time on his garden
            and mows his lawn twice a week and whose wife is preggers. It took him
            almost a year to clean up the mess of the albino's house (the albino was
            only renting -- he looked like a white gerbil with pink eyes) but the cop
            has bought the house and intends to stay.

            The sheriff lives just behind us. So they've got us surrounded. Most of
            the other people around are retired -- an electrician who worked for NYSEG,
            a guy who worked for the railroad, and so on. Everybody works on their
            gardens except for us, but the lady who owned the house before us planted
            perennials and they still come up as if by magic.

            I do mow the lawn but only once every ten days.

            We're 120 miles as the crow flies from NYC but you have to crawl on county
            roads so it takes 3 hours generally, but if you speed you can make it in
            1.5. Problem is every podunk is filled with police officers whose pay is
            made up of speeding tickets.

            160 police officers get killed every year in this country and 130 of them
            during routine traffic stops. They don't want you to stay in the car and
            would rather have you get out and put your hands on the roof of the car but
            they'd get sued the village cop has informed me. He's been shot at several
            times, but always by estranged husbands. Last week the cops shot a kid who
            came out of a house with a machete. This was in a town with two streets
            called Franklin.

            I envy European cities that don't permit every idiot to own a lethal weapon.
            I wonder if in Asia everybody is slaughtering cops and neighbors.

            -- Kirby

          • rutertoot@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 7, 2005
              There is a Norwegian community in Bay Ridge. I looked at an apartment on
              Ave P in Bensonhurst two weeks ago. The apartment wasn't too bad, overlooking
              the backyards of the low-rise side street duplexes. The area can be
              reached by F or N train which is handy. It Jewish, then very Italian, and now
              becoming Oriental and Russian (along Kings Highway anyway). I saw Orthodox Jewish
              boys playing a version of softball in the park, so they are moving over from
              Borough Park perhaps. The area was near 65th St. and Bay Parkway and
              south.
            • voxhaul@AOL.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 7, 2005
                people are not slaughtering neighbors or cops in Asia where I live
                now--there are a lot of traffic accidents in Shanghai where I am
                presently working but generally in Asia disputes get talked down or out
                rather than resorting to the physical--of couse the fact that guns are
                simply not available to anyone helps but it is not just that--there is
                a mutual feeling of the basic brotherhood that exists--my Scottish
                mother lives in Florida where cutting someone's pickup off in traffic
                often results in a brandished shotgun--some misguided macho ego display
                which extrapolates into Iraq ergo London Underground (as reflected in
                nationalist rearview mirror)