RE: [Unmuzzled Ox] Corso and Dickey and Osama Bin Laden

  • Kirby Olson
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 29, 2005
      In many ways Corso comes off comparatively clean when you compare him to a
      lot of other poets whose sly evil slowly seeps to the surface.

      When I was in Cambridge I started to read from the middle of the Dickey
      biography and it said that Dickey threatened his own son with
      excommunication unless he wrote in middle age about Dickey's latest book for
      the New York Times. Dickey's son caved in and did so, and he was for a
      little while longer in Dickey's good graces. I couldn't believe it. The
      book is cheap -- 4.95 or something.

      Dickey must have had a terrible viewpoint -- the dog vs. dog world of
      absolute monstrousness described in Deliverance would make anyone into an
      alcoholic.

      I prefer P.G. Wodehouse. The worst that can happen in his books is that
      somebody's bed gets short-sheeted. There are no deaths that take place
      after the Battle of Hastings in 1066 even though he wrote 125 books (hard to
      count them all as he recycled quite a bit). And Wodehouse was a nice man
      who opened a canine infirmary in Montauk with his royalities. All the slime
      about him being a Nazi was just the usual communist smear tactic and has no
      reality whatsoever according to the book Wodehouse at War.

      People still read Wodehouse in droves. Almost all of the books are in print
      and or about to be reissued, and there are Wodehouse societies in about a
      hundred countries. There's not one in Borneo as far I know, though. It
      would be fun to start one in Borneo. I'd feel a lot safer if Osama Bin
      Laden would read one or two books with Jeeves in the title.