Re: [Unmuzzled Ox] cost benefit analysis

  • souvienstoidemoublier
    Message 1 of 40 , Dec 5, 2005
      On the other hand, it sold a lot of flags, gave Lee Greenwood a
      revival, caused a boom in the rubber glove industry [we might even
      have gotten to see Bruce Springsteen, Peewee Herman, Rudy Guiliani,
      Willie Nelson, Luciano Pavarroti, and Pamela Anderson on the same
      stage] . . . you apparently didn't take milo-economics in college or
      you would realize that you are in the syndicate and that what is good
      for the syndicate is good for you . . . the purported "freedom" of the
      Iraqis is actually the big downside of it all, freedom spreading
      around takes away a lot of the oomph of Lee Greenwood's "I'm proud to
      be an American, where at least I know I'm free", if freedom gets
      around all over the place, it won't be special, and pride is about
      being special, and he might end up having to sing something like "I'm
      mildly pleased with myself to be an American, where at least we
      invented 'Gilligan's Island'" . . . this is why we NEED bad situations
      around the world, so we can be proud to be an American.

      However, we do have a rule, we can't have too many at the same time,
      one or two is about it, the rest need to just take a number or buzz
      off . . .

      A number of years ago, I had an idea for a black comedy in which two
      guys are stuck with several warehouses of yellow ribbons left over
      from the Iran hostage situation so unfortunately resolved by Reagan
      and North in order to take care of the Contras . . . so the two guys
      scheme up some fake terrorist group to take hostages so that their
      product will be back in demand.

      Only it offends a number of dangerous parties in a number of different
      quarters . . .

      --- In unmuzzledox@yahoogroups.com, "Kirby Olson" <kirbyolson2@h...>
      wrote:

      > Souvien is right that a better cost-benefit analysis could be done
      in regard
      > to the war than simply to say that freedom is priceless. Of course
      it's
      > pricey.
      >
      > But it's hard to do the cost-benfit analysis very exactly. The day
      of the
      > World Trade Strike cost New York State 108 billion dollars in direct
      costs.
      > Building down, people dead. In the following year about another
      amount that
      > big was drained due to businesses moving out of state, etc. The
      indirect
      > costs that came out of that in turn are very difficult to discern.
      >
      > The number of dead on both sides in the wars to follow are easier to
      > establish -- a little over 2000 soldiers.
      >
      > In the day of the WTC attack there were about 3500 lost if you don't
      count
      > those on the planes.
      >
      > Bin Laden did plan the WTC attack, but he had only a loose
      understanding if
      > anything with Hussein.
      >
      > Hussein did applaud the attack. He may have eventually made a deal
      with Bin
      > Laden. If so the resources of Hussein and Bin Laden together might
      have
      > made for a monumental attack that would have dwarfed 9/11. It's
      hard to
      > know.
      >
      > When Reagan hit Qaddafi I was afraid there would be such a huge
      attack but
      > in fact Qaddafi stood down and that was the end of Libyan terror.
      >
      > Perhaps this kind of manly standing up and knocking the other down
      is
      > respected and understood in that part of the world.
      >
      > They certainly don't respect the Christian slaves of Darfur.
      Genocide is
      > going to be their lot and there seems to be little to stop it.
      Oddly, the
      > lleft never protests this. Maybe because the dead are Christians.
      I don't
      > know. They seem to only be squeamish about some dead, not others.
      >
      > As part of the cost-benefit analysis though of the dust-ups in the
      Mid-East
      > we'd have to compare it to the war for independence while adjusting
      for
      > inflation. I don't have the resources for this but I do know that
      in the
      > first battle that was fought in Brooklyn Washington lost almost 3000
      men.

      > The little war of attrition that's going on now will sorely test the
      nerves.
      > Some of the explosive devices are miraculously monstrous. How do
      you
      > price out lives? How do you compare them to a vague goal or a more
      or less
      > difficult concept to define such as freedom? A half million died in
      the
      > Civil War.
      >
      > For Cindy Sheehan I'm sure the price of a hangnail would be too much
      even to
      > establish electricity and running water. I'm not sure at what point
      Bush
      > would cut and run. He's made of stronger stuff, I think. Just war
      doctrine
      > argues that we have to be able to win the war. We can't endlessly
      widow the
      > population. I'd stay in there for three more years if I were Bush
      and then
      > see if Hillary or Condoleeza gets the next round. I'd just love
      that
      > match-up and all the wild debates.
      >
      > But Souvien is right -- war is pricey. So is peace at any price
      which is
      > what the left seems to want. I myself am a centrist -- perhaps the
      only one
      > in existence.
      >
      > -- Kirby

    • souvienstoidemoublier
      Message 40 of 40 , Dec 5, 2005
        It took a good while for this post to post, sometimes I wonder if
        there is some sort of computerized monitor system and that if certain
        words or content show up, it gets sent somewhere for review or for a
        heads up somewhere

        --- In unmuzzledox@yahoogroups.com, souvienstoidemoublier <no_reply@y