Kirby Olson, call home!

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 27, 2005
      When the Internet goes to Hell, it really goes to Hell. Kirby Olson has
      an interesting ezine, RealPoetik. Two weeks ago, he was collecting one-
      line poems. Suddenly everybody on the list got every submission. People
      freaked. They started demanding that they be removed from the
      RealPoetik list. Then, of course, everybody else on the Realpoetik list
      got to read these increasingly rude demands. Soon other people started
      sending in whimsical comments on the pile-up. It became, frankly,
      wonderful. Kirby himself was in Florida. Finally there was an
      interesting discussion on Ron Silliman's blog, and the one-liners
      stopped; but Kirby disappeared. I tried emailing him. Hotmail rejects
      letters to Kirby. I tried posting something on his blog, Lutheran
      Surrealism. Reject! I even mailed a note via the US Postal Service to
      his office at SUNY-Delhi. Nothing. The Internet has murdered Kirby
      Olson!
    • Kirby Olson
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 28, 2005
        Dear Michael, Like Jesus if in only this one respect I've resurrected.

        Basically what happened on the Real Poetik list is that somehow I left in
        the magical code that allows me to post. And somebody sent to the post, and
        then bang everybody began to respond to them, which means the one line
        contest is somewhat damaged. It seems now that all the people who kept
        their cool enjoyed the thing, and especially enjoyed all the famous poets
        such as Susan Howe and others revealing their secret email addresses and
        also the way in which they express their irritation.

        And the hotmail business! I get penis enlargement ads from about fifty
        companies every day. I delete them and or block them but if I am not there
        to play goalie they get in. I was tied up in Florida grading Advanced
        Placement exams for high school seniors. The students were asked to discuss
        the rhetorical strategies in a mock press release from the satirical journal
        The Onion which is based in NYC. The mock press release was about a new
        shoe insert that did reflexology while you walked, and it got your foot in
        tune with the earth by adjusting its energy frequency. The thing was quite
        funny. We had a million of these responses to grade. There were 700 of us
        to do the grading, and so we each had to read about 1500 responses most of
        whom or a large plurality of whom, didn't even understand that it was a
        humorous article making fun of American commercial claims and scientific
        quackery. Students had to understand the article's humor and make
        insightful statements regarding the way in which the satire worked. They
        had forty minutes to do it. If they succeeded in their task they don't have
        to take freshman English this coming autumn at their respective schools. I
        would say about twenty percent accomplished this task.

        Enough to make you cry and laugh at the same time. Then I was exhausted and
        had to bring my Finnish father in law back to Kennedy airport and crawl
        along the crummy Van Wyck "Expressway" which always seems to go five mph.
        Is there an alternate route to Kennedy?

        But now I'm back and will try to play goalie in this stupid email system so
        that I can get legitimate messages such as those from this marvelous group.
        By the way, did you publish American Express? Do you still have copies of
        Corso's only novel floating about? What do you think it was about? A lot
        of Corso's work remains mysterious to me even if I spent several years
        working on my book about it.

        I had intended to get Roger Richard to explain everything to me at some
        point. He had been Corso's close friend for years but he died a year ago I
        am to understand. I've asked his widow to contribute to my proposed book of
        Corso Anecdotes. We'll see. I especially need the women who knew Corso
        well to contribute because since he was a Dionysian of sorts I suspect that
        his truest consorts were women.

        -- Kirby Olson