Big City Schools

    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2005
      The public schools are the worst thing about New York. Paying for my
      son's tuition for grades one through eight was a great strain.
      Fortunately he passed the entrance exam for Stuyvesant High School, an
      elite public high school around the corner from my office. Now we only
      have to worry about college.

      --- Kirby Olson wrote:
      I have no idea what's being taught in the poorer neighborhoods.
      Probably survival. I got a note from a teacher who subbed in a
      Brooklyn High School. A kid snapped out the light and all the students
      threw their textbooks at him, and he was in a coma for a month.

      He's still being treated.

      I suppose you have to wear a hockey helmet and carry a big stick.
    • rutertoot@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 1, 2005
        Dancing was part of my 6th grade physical ed class. We did a lot of square
        dancing. Do people go to dances? I think we should all start dancing more,
        and playing a little touch football. My ex-husband taught me to throw.
        Before that, gym teachers would say, 'you throw like a girl.' I hated gym
        class in Jr High and High school. We were taught field hockey and made to swing
        on parallel bars. Then you had to take a shower in front of the lesbian gym
        teachers. I also never learned to swim properly which was a horrible flaw
        when we moved from Colorado to Delaware where everyone was a member of a
        'pool'.
      • Halvard Johnson
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 1, 2005
          On Dec 1, 2005, at 10:26 AM, rutertoot@... wrote:

          > Dancing was part of my 6th grade physical ed class. We did a lot
          > of square
          > dancing. Do people go to dances? I think we should all start
          > dancing more,
          > and playing a little touch football. My ex-husband taught me to
          > throw.
          > Before that, gym teachers would say, 'you throw like a girl.' I
          > hated gym
          > class in Jr High and High school. We were taught field hockey and
          > made to swing
          > on parallel bars. Then you had to take a shower in front of the
          > lesbian gym
          > teachers. I also never learned to swim properly which was a
          > horrible flaw
          > when we moved from Colorado to Delaware where everyone was a member
          > of a
          > 'pool'.

          Hmm, I thought that all one needed to become a member of a pool was
          a bit of spare cash and a good (or bad) sense of the odds against one.

          Hal "Those who cast the ballots decide nothing.
          Those who count the ballots decide everything."
          --Joseph Stalin

          Halvard Johnson
          ================
          halvard@...
          halvard@...
          http://home.earthlink.net/~halvard
          http://entropyandme.blogspot.com
          http://imageswithoutwords.blogspot.com
        • Kirby Olson
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 3, 2005
            I'd like to do more dancing. I have three small kids and we dance to an
            Australian pop group called the Wiggles. It's about the best thing about
            being a dad, I guess. We dance for an hour at a time, chasing each other
            around the living room. I think dancing can make a person less grumpy. The
            Japanese have a saying that dancing wipes away the disease of old age. Did
            anybody see the movie about the Japanese man who takes up the waltz? It's a
            neat movie.

            My family is fairly athletic and we were taught all the rougher sports as
            kids, but dancing was left out. I wish I could go dancing more often. I
            tried ballroom with my wife, and hope to take it up again as we get older
            and babysitting charges are turned into allowance funds for the tots.

            I used to work in a dance program at the University of Washington as
            department secretary. I was a lousy secretary.