Football on Thanksgiving

    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 30, 2005
      My small hometown boasted Royal Military College and Queen's
      University. There were ample playing fields. I played softball,
      football, hockey and basketball badly. I really wanted to play well.
      My grandfather was dead, but at one time he edited the local
      newspaper, The Kingston Whig-Standard. My mother therefore helped me
      at age eight start an in-house sports newspaper. Today my main
      exercise is walking around Manhattan. I march through New York's
      great museums, especially the Metropolitan Museum of Art. But I am
      also generally up on the AL, NL, NHL, NBA and NFL. I try to remain
      ignorant of soccer, tennis, and golf. It's hard. I may be a fan.
      Shit.

      --- In unmuzzledox "Kirby Olson" wrote:

      I confess to microwaving almost everything but I have bought a book
      on Indian cooking and tried two recipes. Not too bad.

      I think somehow the physical education and home economics classes
      that were
      > taught to us as kids is what the kids of today are most in need of.
      >
      > The French spend a long time cooking and perhaps this keeps them
      thinner.

      > Today we Americans just plop on a couch and toss Fritos.
      >
      > My dad was a physical education prof at a small Pennsylvania State
      College.
      > So I learned the value of sports. I still play them but it's
      harder and
      > harder to find someone else who will play any kind of sport with
      me.
      > Everyone has gone soft -- at least everyone that i know. Most
      won't even
      > walk behind a lawn mower for three hours. They'd prefer to ride on
      > tractor mower while fiddling with an iPod.
      >
      > Physical education classes are coming back. I read about a good
      program in
      > a lush neighborhood called Northport Long Island where the average
      income is
      > 90 grand a year.
      >
      > I wonder if Home Ec classes will come back first in those
      neighborhoods,
      > too.
      >
      > I have no idea what's being taught in the poorer neighborhoods.
      Probably
      > survival. I got a note from a teacher who subbed in a Brooklyn
      High School.

      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 1, 2005
        The public schools are the worst thing about New York. Paying for my
        son's tuition for grades one through eight was a great strain.
        Fortunately he passed the entrance exam for Stuyvesant High School, an
        elite public high school around the corner from my office. Now we only
        have to worry about college.

      • rutertoot@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 1, 2005
          Dancing was part of my 6th grade physical ed class. We did a lot of square
          dancing. Do people go to dances? I think we should all start dancing more,
          and playing a little touch football. My ex-husband taught me to throw.
          Before that, gym teachers would say, 'you throw like a girl.' I hated gym
          class in Jr High and High school. We were taught field hockey and made to swing
          on parallel bars. Then you had to take a shower in front of the lesbian gym
          teachers. I also never learned to swim properly which was a horrible flaw
          when we moved from Colorado to Delaware where everyone was a member of a
          'pool'.
        • Halvard Johnson
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 1, 2005
            On Dec 1, 2005, at 10:26 AM, rutertoot@... wrote:

            > Dancing was part of my 6th grade physical ed class. We did a lot
            > of square
            > dancing. Do people go to dances? I think we should all start
            > dancing more,
            > and playing a little touch football. My ex-husband taught me to
            > throw.
            > Before that, gym teachers would say, 'you throw like a girl.' I
            > hated gym
            > class in Jr High and High school. We were taught field hockey and
            > made to swing
            > on parallel bars. Then you had to take a shower in front of the
            > lesbian gym
            > teachers. I also never learned to swim properly which was a
            > horrible flaw
            > when we moved from Colorado to Delaware where everyone was a member
            > of a
            > 'pool'.

            Hmm, I thought that all one needed to become a member of a pool was
            a bit of spare cash and a good (or bad) sense of the odds against one.

            Hal "Those who cast the ballots decide nothing.
            Those who count the ballots decide everything."
            --Joseph Stalin

            Halvard Johnson
            ================
            halvard@...
            halvard@...
            http://home.earthlink.net/~halvard
            http://entropyandme.blogspot.com
            http://imageswithoutwords.blogspot.com
          • Kirby Olson
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 3, 2005
              I'd like to do more dancing. I have three small kids and we dance to an
              Australian pop group called the Wiggles. It's about the best thing about
              being a dad, I guess. We dance for an hour at a time, chasing each other
              around the living room. I think dancing can make a person less grumpy. The
              Japanese have a saying that dancing wipes away the disease of old age. Did
              anybody see the movie about the Japanese man who takes up the waltz? It's a
              neat movie.

              My family is fairly athletic and we were taught all the rougher sports as
              kids, but dancing was left out. I wish I could go dancing more often. I
              tried ballroom with my wife, and hope to take it up again as we get older
              and babysitting charges are turned into allowance funds for the tots.

              I used to work in a dance program at the University of Washington as
              department secretary. I was a lousy secretary.