The Libertine

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 27, 2005
      After I met certain social and professional obligations in London in
      2002, I had a week to myself, and decided to update Chaucer and take
      a train to Canterbury. The train stopped in Rochester. Canterbury has
      many bookstores and I bought The Works of the Earl of Rochester. He's
      a great poet with the views and vocabulary of Larry Flynt. I look at
      his long poem on dildos and it still seems like a misprint; how could
      someone writing in 1675 use a vocabulary which I regarded as echt
      twentieth century?

      The Libertine, a new Rochester bio-pic, stars Johnny Depp as
      Rochester and John Malkovich as Charles II. God all-fucking mighty!
      Before our eyes, Johnny Depp dies slowly and graphically of
      alcoholism and syphilis.

      The gods, by right of nature, must possess
      An everlasting age of perfect peace;
      Far off removed from us and our affairs;
      Neither approached by dangers, or by cares;
      Rich in themselves, to whom we cannot add;
      Not pleased by good deeds, nor provoked by bad.

      -- Rochester after Lucretius
    • souvienstoidemoublier
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 27, 2005
        I was reciting the Prologue to the Canterbury Tales last night.

        I had no idea that western New York had royalty . . . was there a Lady
        Lackawanna, too?

        --- In unmuzzledox@yahoogroups.com, mandreox <no_reply@y...> wrote:

        > After I met certain social and professional obligations in London in
        > 2002, I had a week to myself, and decided to update Chaucer and take
        > a train to Canterbury. The train stopped in Rochester. Canterbury
        has
        > many bookstores and I bought The Works of the Earl of Rochester.
        He's
        > a great poet with the views and vocabulary of Larry Flynt. I look at
        > his long poem on dildos and it still seems like a misprint; how
        could
        > someone writing in 1675 use a vocabulary which I regarded as echt
        > twentieth century?
        >
        > The Libertine, a new Rochester bio-pic, stars Johnny Depp as
        > Rochester and John Malkovich as Charles II. God all-fucking mighty!
        > Before our eyes, Johnny Depp dies slowly and graphically of
        > alcoholism and syphilis.
        >
        > The gods, by right of nature, must possess
        > An everlasting age of perfect peace;
        > Far off removed from us and our affairs;
        > Neither approached by dangers, or by cares;
        > Rich in themselves, to whom we cannot add;
        > Not pleased by good deeds, nor provoked by bad.
        >
        > -- Rochester after Lucretius

      • Halvard Johnson
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 28, 2005
          On Nov 27, 2005, at 7:05 PM, souvienstoidemoublier wrote:

          > I was reciting the Prologue to the Canterbury Tales last night.
          >
          > I had no idea that western New York had royalty . . . was there a Lady
          > Lackawanna, too?

          You must be thinking of Sir Billy Buffalo.

          Hal "There are then quite a number of things
          one does or does not know."
          --Gertrude Stein

          Halvard Johnson
          email: halvard@...