RE: [Unmuzzled Ox] Re: Gregory Corso's Earth Egg

  • Kirby Olson
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 25, 2005
      Michael, do you also have copies of Corso's novel American Express? I heard
      you had reprinted it and then Gregory wanted it off the market. What on
      earth was that novel about? I could see bits and pieces of it as an
      allegory of the Beat movement and everybody wanting to find some scheme that
      would improve matters. But I don't think anybody ever figured anything out.
      I read it once when I was about 22 at Naropa and have rarely thought about
      it since. I reread it cursorily while working on my book on Corso and just
      decided to stick with the poetry!

      -- Kirby

      >From: mandreox <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
      >To: unmuzzledox@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [Unmuzzled Ox] Re: Gregory Corso's Earth Egg
      >Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 00:00:09 -0000
      >
      >Perhaps `creation myth' might be a better characterization of
      >Earth Egg than `history of the world.' Anyway, it's not
      >about poultry. For anyone who hasn't seen Earth Egg, it is a
      >boxed unfolding ten-foot-long drawing accompanied by a booklet of
      >poems. I first encountered the original of the drawing, a Japanese
      >notebook, in the Columbia University archives. It was merely a
      >drawing; there were no words. When I had it photo-stated to the
      >original size, Gregory started writing on the stats. I wanted to
      >say: STOP! But in the event he certainly knew what he was doing.
      >
      >Earth Egg was a bugger to publish. I have some dozen remaining at
      >$100. If you're very rich and dying of curiosity, send your
      >order to Unmuzzled OX 105 Hudson Street New York 10013. I'll
      >throw in five other titles free, including Corso's Writings from OX.
      >
      >--- In UnmuzzledOX "Kirby Olson" wrote:
      >Is it really a history of the earth?
      >I'm getting deeper and deeper into Corso. Somebody wrote an anecdote
      >yesterday to my compilation and he said that Corso could play
      >classical piano and that he played a Chopin nocture quite
      >wonderfullly. I didn't have any idea of this.
      >
      >I've read the Earth Egg many times over and never saw it as a history
      >of the earth.

    • Kirby Olson
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 5, 2005
        If you had 60,000 dolllars a year and a family of four could you live
        comfortably somewhere with 30 miles of NYC?

        Given that sum, what and where would you live?

      • voxhaul@AOL.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 5, 2005
          Clinton Hill Brooklyn--near Pratt University--an up and coming
          neighborhood very suitable for a family where the rent for a
          two-bedroom place with space and light would be around 1750-2000 per
          month--this would mean limiting the amount of eating out and taking
          advantage of city amenities for health and transportation--but is doable

          steven hall

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 6, 2005
            Hi Steven, This was very helpful. I looked it up.

            Where was the kid with the IPOD killed? This was in E. Flatbush I think
            they said. So north of Prospect Park is ok and south of it isn't?

            I like Prospect Park. Has everybody on this list seen the Camperdown Elm
            outside of the Aududon Bathhouse? It's a strange little warped tree that
            Marianne Moore wrote a later poem about trying to save it. It's still
            there. It must be the ugliest tree I've ever seen. It's so ugly it's almost
            elegant.

            Almost. She compares this tree to the massive elms in the Asher Durand
            painting set in Kaaterskill Falls which is worth a visit. She must have
            been joking to compare such a stunted tree to such a massive canopy of elms
            and other stately trees.

            Definitely worth reading the poem and scheduling a day around its visit.
            Bring a weird lunch of odd Asian crackers that smell like fish just to
            complete the weirdness.

            East of the park were a string of nice stores and restaurants. West of it
            is the Brooklyn Public Library and so on. I'm told by my multicultural
            students that the best place for a white dude like myself to get killed
            would be Flatbush. So I went along Flatbush in the car to investigate. For
            some reason there were a lot of young black men weaving through the traffic
            on tiny bicycles -- barely children's bicycles. It made a neat effect.

            I was in lower Harlem at 126th St. and a nice older black fellow in
            Morningside Park told me to get out of the park before I was killed.
            Imagine someone telling Oprah to get out of Hermes or else she'd be killed.
            The double standard just kills me. Well, not literally. My students say
            that they are just as likely to be killed in the same neighborhoods so I
            shouldn't take it personally.

            I think the problem is that if one out of a thousand people is violently
            racist or just plain violent then in a community of 20,000 there are 20
            people who will hurt you. In a multicultural tapestry like Brooklyn this
            means always watching your back esp. if you are sporting an IPOD. There
            used to be a Norwegian American community somewhere in East Brooklyn but for
            some reason Robert Moses killed that community by putting an elevated
            highway right through their main street and wiped out all the businesses but
            that could be more tendentiousness by Robert Caro his demented biographer.

            I used to like living in Seattle. I liked living in Portland. Prices
            quadrupled there. I hate the south. I live in the Catskills and it's
            somewhat isolating but my 5 bedroom house cost less than 200 grand and
            overlooks an untouched mountain and a beautiful river which fills up with
            fog every morning and then slowly lifts and my kids are very safe here (the
            last murder in this county that wasn't solved was some 40 years ago, but of
            course friends and lovers do kill one another). There were more people in
            this county the size of Rhode Island in 1800. There are now only 40,000.
            There is one bookstore. Mostly it's a nature park for the New york City
            water department. Giant straws reach from here into Manhattan and tiny
            unmanned submarines patrol the huge cement straws looking for cracks.

            I only make about 46,000 here but I think if I went to a larger area I could
            get 60, possibly, if I really tried. What about Providence? What about
            Philadelphia?

            Hey, who's on this list, and where do you live? I need your information.
            Please function.

            -- Kirby Olson

            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 7, 2005
              Until recently I would have recommended my little complex on Staten
              Island. Then six months ago, a crackhead lady moved in with her
              hustles and street action. And then some young thugs given to
              Saturday night brawls and arrests. And finally a family of three
              whites, with a hard ex-con dad, an out-of-control little boy and an
              astoundingly loud mother. Outside now threatens like the Upper West
              Side in the early seventies.

              I've wondered why this little neighborhood suddenly tipped. It's
              probably coincidence or my bad luck. But perhaps the ongoing New York
              construction boom has forced landlords to cut rents.

              So far as I know the Norwegian community still functions.

            • Kirby Olson
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 7, 2005
                Michael, is there a Norwegian community in NYC? where? you mean the one in
                Brooklyn? Where is it, exactly?

                Your neighborhood could tip back. I live in a town with three streets --
                Main St. and then Elm St. (the elms are gone due to the nightmare of Dutch
                elm's) and then Second St. I live on a circle 8 adjacent to the town. When
                we moved in we were warned about the albino nutcase living across from us.
                He was the cocaine supplier to the entire Catskills region and when he got a
                shipment cars came every three minutes for hours at 2 am. But next door to
                him was the village policeman and he finally caught him with a supply in his
                house and the albino was shipped upstate. In his stead is now living a
                state policeman -- a tough young guy who spends a lot of time on his garden
                and mows his lawn twice a week and whose wife is preggers. It took him
                almost a year to clean up the mess of the albino's house (the albino was
                only renting -- he looked like a white gerbil with pink eyes) but the cop
                has bought the house and intends to stay.

                The sheriff lives just behind us. So they've got us surrounded. Most of
                the other people around are retired -- an electrician who worked for NYSEG,
                a guy who worked for the railroad, and so on. Everybody works on their
                gardens except for us, but the lady who owned the house before us planted
                perennials and they still come up as if by magic.

                I do mow the lawn but only once every ten days.

                We're 120 miles as the crow flies from NYC but you have to crawl on county
                roads so it takes 3 hours generally, but if you speed you can make it in
                1.5. Problem is every podunk is filled with police officers whose pay is
                made up of speeding tickets.

                160 police officers get killed every year in this country and 130 of them
                during routine traffic stops. They don't want you to stay in the car and
                would rather have you get out and put your hands on the roof of the car but
                they'd get sued the village cop has informed me. He's been shot at several
                times, but always by estranged husbands. Last week the cops shot a kid who
                came out of a house with a machete. This was in a town with two streets
                called Franklin.

                I envy European cities that don't permit every idiot to own a lethal weapon.
                I wonder if in Asia everybody is slaughtering cops and neighbors.

                -- Kirby

              • rutertoot@aol.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 7, 2005
                  There is a Norwegian community in Bay Ridge. I looked at an apartment on
                  Ave P in Bensonhurst two weeks ago. The apartment wasn't too bad, overlooking
                  the backyards of the low-rise side street duplexes. The area can be
                  reached by F or N train which is handy. It Jewish, then very Italian, and now
                  becoming Oriental and Russian (along Kings Highway anyway). I saw Orthodox Jewish
                  boys playing a version of softball in the park, so they are moving over from
                  Borough Park perhaps. The area was near 65th St. and Bay Parkway and
                  south.
                • voxhaul@AOL.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 7, 2005
                    people are not slaughtering neighbors or cops in Asia where I live
                    now--there are a lot of traffic accidents in Shanghai where I am
                    presently working but generally in Asia disputes get talked down or out
                    rather than resorting to the physical--of couse the fact that guns are
                    simply not available to anyone helps but it is not just that--there is
                    a mutual feeling of the basic brotherhood that exists--my Scottish
                    mother lives in Florida where cutting someone's pickup off in traffic
                    often results in a brandished shotgun--some misguided macho ego display
                    which extrapolates into Iraq ergo London Underground (as reflected in
                    nationalist rearview mirror)